Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
there is no way you can give any real answer without knowing the deductible, the Out of Pocket and the co-insurance.

to be fair, the individual stating his premium costs didn't provide that either so we really don't know what kind of coverage we are talking about.
He quoted us the premiums for the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum plans which each have their own deductibles and out of pocket costs. https://www.healthsherpa.com/find-pl...=12019&people=[29a]&size=1&income=70000&cs=premium&year=2017&page=1&_ agent_id=healthinsurancedotorg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:52 AM

78,394 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Generally speaking, participants in the Obamacare exchanges tend to be sicker than the general population.
Yep, so for the non-sick people making enough money not to get a big subsidy....they're getting grossly overcharged to pay for the fact that the administration didn't want to alienate young voters by pushing them hard into the program with tax penalties.

Makes me think of those "I'm young and I signed up" commercials. Those are the poor suckers that are carrying most of the load while the other young people just didn't sign up.

Obamacare is a great deal if you're poor or chronically ill, they just get an F- on lining up people to pay more to cover for them....and that's why rates are skyrocketing, insurers are leaving etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you don't need to understand mAm's questions. They weren't actually questions. They were rhetorical... designed take the blame off of the Affordable Care Act and to place it on everyone else.

mAm is a dedicated supporter of all things progressive....

Thanks. I guess I haven't read enough of her posts. IIRC, she's neither a Hillary nor a Trump supporter.

M.A.M., were you a Bernie supporter?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The rate isn't the same for the whole state, it differs by county. Unless he has moved, the cheapest bronze policy in BMW's county for a male 29 year old non smoker for 2017 is $251.12. IIRC, he did write that the figures he was quoting represented an AVERAGE for each metal level.

He wrote that the cheapest plan (bronze) for a non-smoking, 29 year-old male in Florida was $329. That is high and I would like more information as to what and where (which he does not provide). I suspect it is an exaggeration of cost.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
He quoted us the premiums for the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum plans which each have their own deductibles and out of pocket costs. https://www.healthsherpa.com/find-pl...=12019&people=[29a]&size=1&income=70000&cs=premium&year=2017&page=1&_ agent_id=healthinsurancedotorg
Sounds to me like you quoted a Catastrophic plan and not real health insurance...

Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
He wrote that the cheapest plan (bronze) for a non-smoking, 29 year-old male in Florida was $329. That is high and I would like more information as to what and where (which he does not provide). I suspect it is an exaggeration of cost.
He did not... he quoted the AVERAGE... YOU quoted the cheapest and likely catastrophic plan which isn't even allowed by the ACA without an additional penalty...

Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, so for the non-sick people making enough money not to get a big subsidy....they're getting grossly overcharged to pay for the fact that the administration didn't want to alienate young voters by pushing them hard into the program with tax penalties.

Makes me think of those "I'm young and I signed up" commercials. Those are the poor suckers that are carrying most of the load while the other young people just didn't sign up.

Obamacare is a great deal if you're poor or chronically ill, they just get an F- on lining up people to pay more to cover for them....and that's why rates are skyrocketing, insurers are leaving etc.
Previously, when those young healthy people got cancer or some other debilitating disease, they applied for Medicare through disability. How about some personal responsibility for medical care here. Hasn't the government (Medicare) paid enough?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Sounds to me like you quoted a Catastrophic plan and not real health insurance...
Those quotes are actually through the ACA exchanges.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
1. No, he quoted an average.

2. I may be quite wrong, but I've never seen a post of BMWs where he stated his income, and the above shows you plugged in an income.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
He did not... he quoted the AVERAGE... YOU quoted the cheapest and likely catastrophic plan which isn't even allowed by the ACA without an additional penalty...
Interesting. I quoted both from the ACA exchanges and from private insurance rates in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies