Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand why so many Blacks live in crowded, urban, big cities. I went to Mississippi about 2 months ago and I saw a lot of "country" Black people in some of the small towns and although there is some poverty in that part of the country, I feel like the quality of life in a small town like Greenwood, MS is way better than living in a ghetto in South Central LA or Detroit.

I understand a lot of Blacks left places like MS, and AL because they were looking for better opportunities in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc but the quality of life in a big city ghetto is horrible.

I have an African American coworker and I always try to invite him to do stuff like listen to country music, go fishing and hunting and it seems like he has a certain resistance to this more "country" lifestyle. I understand maybe racism is part of the reason why so many Blacks feel more comfortable living in a city versus living out in the country but I did not see a lot of "racial conflict" in small towns in MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM

615 posts, read 545,135 times
Jobs, public transportation, proximity to other blacks. This won't be popular here, but blacks were used to diversify the old working class white neighborhoods in the NorthEast to bring down property value, so it could be easily bought up then changed back into yuppie areas.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:24 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Because they like the amenities of cities?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Oh, god, another thread with someone searching a 100 level anthro course on the American Negro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am trying to understand why so many Blacks live in crowded, urban, big cities. I went to Mississippi about 2 months ago and I saw a lot of "country" Black people in some of the small towns and although there is some poverty in that part of the country, I feel like the quality of life in a small town like Greenwood, MS is way better than living in a ghetto in South Central LA or Detroit.
You have obviously never been black and lived in Greenwood Mississippi.

Quote:
I understand a lot of Blacks left places like MS, and AL because they were looking for better opportunities in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc but the quality of life in a big city ghetto is horrible.
So says you.

Quote:
I have an African American coworker and I always try to invite him to do stuff like listen to country music, go fishing and hunting and it seems like he has a certain resistance to this more "country" lifestyle.
Perhaps it is the company that he will have to keep that is the real turnoff.

Quote:
I understand maybe racism is part of the reason why so many Blacks feel more comfortable living in a city versus living out in the country but I did not see a lot of "racial conflict" in small towns in MS.
What, were you expecting burning crosses, and discounted sheets with pre-cut eye holes...

I'm sorry, but if anyone honestly thought that I would be possible to make you understand, I would spend the time trying, but I've grown to know your way of thinking and I've got a flight to London to catch tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Well, I don't think that your coworkers reluctance to enjoy the activities you mention has as much to do with race as it does culture. City people, generally speaking, do not like to go fishing and hunting and as far as country music - you either love it or hate it, there is no in-between there.

Regarding the race issue. I think a lot of people who live in the ghetto was born and raised there and do not know anything different. The idea of being in unfamiliar territory is frightening (anyone), and they do not have the skills to cope with country life. The black ghetto people are probably third or fourth generation city-dwellers and I would be surprised if they even knew that there was any other way to live.

Besides, rural "country folk" are a minority in this country. 93 percent of the population lives in cities that are larger than 100,000 people. Unless you have grown up in the country and appreciate it for what it is, there is no reason for someone (a young, black person especially) to want to go there. They understand the ghetto - how it works, and what's more it is home to them. The only home they have ever known.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Why can't they just prefer cities. Why does it have to be a "race thing?" I haven't seen a post, why do whites prefer the suburbs? Because some whites like the city, some the suburbs, and some like me the rural setting.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
I have an African American coworker and I always try to invite him to do stuff like listen to country music, go fishing and hunting and it seems like he has a certain resistance to this more "country" lifestyle. I understand maybe racism is part of the reason why so many Blacks feel more comfortable living in a city versus living out in the country but I did not see a lot of "racial conflict" in small towns in MS.
Do you invite your white coworkers to specifically go and listen to country music? Do you actually say "Hey man, want to go listen to some country music?"

Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I guess, what I don't understand is why some Blacks would choose to live in a big city ghetto versus living in a smaller or maybe mid-sized city. Jobs and opportunities? Are you kidding? Look at unemployment rates for blacks in cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Buffalo, etc, it is incredibly high!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,326 times
I'm hoping this is a joke.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Quote:
I guess, what I don't understand is why some Blacks would choose to live in a big city ghetto versus living in a smaller or maybe mid-sized city. Jobs and opportunities? Are you kidding? Look at unemployment rates for blacks in cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Buffalo, etc, it is incredibly high!

Honestly, most of us are just more comfortable in an urban environment, even if there is crime, pollution, and the like. Going out in the country, you become isolated, and if some **** goes down, it's pretty much your word against theirs. Strength in numbers, to put it bluntly. I am from the northwestern part of Indiana, which is basically where the city of Gary is, and as bad as it is, I would honestly feel safer there than being out in the boonies at night. If someone is going to murder me, at least they're open about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies