Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Can't blame you... I was close to doing the same...
I did a write-in, best possible thing just happened. A guy walked in with a "Make America Great Again" hat on and we made the most awkward eye contact ever. I really wish I could've snapped a pic of his face, too funny.

This happened right before he argued for 2 minutes as to why he needed to remove his hat. Some people really think the rules just don't apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:29 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
I'm an older millennial (born '83). I voted for GWB in '04 (regret it), Bob Barr (L) in '08, and Gary Johnson in '12. I was certain I was going to vote for Johnson in this election again. Once Johnson got more attention and demonstrated how clueless he is when it comes to foreign policy I found myself questioning that choice.

I very very begrudgingly decided I was going to vote for Clinton. I never thought this would be possible for me. I do not like her whatsoever. I have no doubt that she is about as corrupt as they come, but she at least has a working knowledge of world events vs Johnson who apparently doesn't care to. I can not imagine voting for Trump for many, many reasons. Then last week the FBI reopened their Clinton investigation. I am now back to voting for Johnson. I would rather vote for an ignoramus than a criminal (Clinton) or a piece of human garbage (Trump). It frustrates me that in an election which had the promise of strengthening third parties, Johnson was the best the Libertarians could come up with.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Donna Brazile out at CNN amid leaks to Clinton campaign

Hillary is way too corrupt, she scares me. Nothing about this woman seems real. I even thought her debate skill is at least superb. But it looks like all she is capable of doing is cheat and lie.

Between a drunk uncle and a corrupt lying politician, I honestly believe America can survive four years of Trump, but Hillary, not so much.

I entertained the thought of voting Gary Johnson. I voted for him in year 2012, But this year is too important to take a risk. A third party vote will help Hillary, I can't do that. She scares me.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:34 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If there are any Millennials here, could you share your view on this election and candidates?

This is probably the most important election of my lifetime, and possibly yours. Wonder how many millennials understand that and curious how this election looks in their eyes.
This election is crap and the candidates are all worse than the other candidates.

Hillary Clinton represents all things bad about politicians. She says whatever "happy" message she needs to say to get her voters to back her but will happily sacrifice any of those values if money is exchanged property. She's a neoliberal politician who's surrounded by scandal and controversy, but has powerful friends to make her seem like her hands are clean.

Donald Trump is a demagogue and a poor leader. He's representing a people who feel alienated from the system, and these people not only deserve, but need representation, but Trump is not doing it. Not properly. He's playing to their fears and letting the tell HIM what to say, rather than the other way around. Contrast that with other leaders of oppressed groups, like MLK, who instead offered guidance and wisdom to a angry and uncared for people, leading to great change.

Gary Johnson lacks conviction and his principles seem vague at best. He's by no means a Libertarian, instead being more an anti-authoritarian Republican, which is better than the average GOP candidate for sure, but his convictions are weak. He folds under the slightest pressure and doesn't always seem prepared for simple questions. No, the Aleppo question should not actually carry much weight as it really isn't that important but the thing is, he struggles to answer basic questions are answer to basic scrutiny in a way that is undignified. While both candidates from major parties have a similar problem, they at least take the time to answer an unrelated questions; Johnson just stumbles around and get mad.

Jill Stein is the quintessential silly liberal. Her values seem good but when held to any sort of critique, they stop making much sense. On the surface, I agree with her on quite a lot more than I disagree. The issue is her anti-authoritarian positions are usually based on assumption, not fact. As an example, she's quick to give credibility to anti-vaccine and anti-GMO ideals as these things are highly profitable. While I agree that corporations need to kept in line, just because something's profitable does not mean they can get away with doing something that unethical. Most economists agree that globalism has lead to slave like labor in foreign nations and that this is bad; most scientists do not agree that GMOs are dangerous. Point being, I understand that anti-corporate interest stance, but money and power can only go so far. Experts are far more honest and principled that they're given credit for.

This election is a clear sign that our republic is extremely unhealthy. Often people speak of picking the lesser of two evils and that third party candidates need a shot, we should probably recognize that this is actually a race of the lesser of four evils. None of the 4 most well known national parties have good candidates. I agree, third parties need more representation and I think many do as well. A nation of 300 million being represented by 2 majors parties, both of which seem to represent smaller and smaller portions of those who do actually agree with Democratic and Republican principles, is an absurdity. But there are two many problems right now for our election to go well. To name a few, generally uneducated people make poor choices, the media does not serve public interests, and corruptions in government is not held accountable.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Older millennial, 1983 model.

I was raised in a core base GOP household, started voting Democrat after 2003 when the Iraq War lies came to light.

I strongly dislike Hillary and Trump and I early voted for Gary Johnson. I started voting Democrat because of the Iraq War and Hillary voted for it. She knew it was a wrong war but was afraid it would succeed, that's really slimy. I appreciate how she has worked to help poor and disabled people. But as Sec of State she against supported illegal military intervention in North Africa which has left the region less stable. The general trend of the national Democrat party also concerns me, it seems to be shifting from a focus on Main St to Wall St.

Trump has no business being a major party nominee. He has zero govt experience and even his business record isn't that great. His behavior towards women ranges from creepy to borderline sexual assault. People have spent time in jail for unwanted touching like he bragged about doing. He does hit on some major points that resonate with me: we should support legal immigration but punish illegal immigration, getting any job is harder now than ever before, and we do need to admit vetting of immigrants for Muslim countries had failed and cost lives. I do not support his blanket statements of Hispanics and Muslims, though. His temperament also concerns me.

I vote Gary Johnson for president. Because I'm in Indiana there are old school Democrats to vote for, so I voted Democrat in Senate, Congress, and Governor.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:40 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,439 times
Quote:
If there are any Millennials here, could you share your view on this election and candidates?

This is probably the most important election of my lifetime, and possibly yours. Wonder how many millennials understand that and curious how this election looks in their eyes.
Was going to vote Johnson, but then Weld (his running mate) praised Clinton to high heavens, so I will hold my nose and vote Trump.

I view the election as a freak-show that has dragged on far far too long.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Was going to vote Johnson, but then Weld (his running mate) praised Clinton to high heavens, so I will hold my nose and vote Trump.

I view the election as a freak-show that has dragged on far far too long.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would that be what changes your vote? To me, this says you're voting for all the wrong reasons.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I was born in 1985

Gary Johnson is expected to pull from Republican vote. Generic libertarians are polling 10% without name recognition.

Jill Stein is expected to pull from Democrats. Generic Greens are polling 10% without name recognition.

This may be the year more people are driven to become more aware of third parties. This could be helpful in the long run.

However if both 3rd parties get strong enough it could kick it to the House of Representatives.

I think the reality is that If you don't live in a swing state your vote doesn't matter, if you live in a swing state and you vote for a 3rd part, your vote doesn't matter since it's only between democrats and republican, switch to the National Popular Vote, and everyone will be represented, and third parties will have a chance

Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying. Politicians keep talking about making all those changes you mention but they never get done. Politicians. I'm afraid we may be on the verge of very challenging economic times and things could get much worse before getting better. I guess peoples views on stop and frisk are formulated by who they listen to and what they read. Here is a NY Times piece on it, but other more liberal websites make different assertions. I don't know what the answer is except politics as usual isn't working. I'll also mention that the highest-crime most economically challenged cities appear to be run by Democrats... and this seems to be tied in-part to political corruption within local government.

Stop and Frisk Has Lowered Crime in Other Cities - NYTimes.com
Stop and Frisk, the way it WAS being used is illegal. No hunches, no because they can, there are a couple of specific guidelines. It was basically shutdown in NY by a Federal judge who said NY wasn't using it correctly and targeted minorities. Go figure.

Judge Rejects New York

Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 AM

305 posts, read 180,011 times
My husband and I are still researching our local non-partisan choices, and then I will drop of our mail in ballots. We think both Clinton and Trump are "evil" but we don't like Johnson, and Stein doesn't seem to have a good grasp on her policies or is just too much of a people pleaser - I haven't been able to figure her out.

We are independent, and wanted Bernie (no we didn't think he was prefect) - but we are holding our noses and going with Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies