Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times

Advertisements

As someone who is on the left, some would probably say far left, I can tell you right now that I firmly oppose open borders and think we need to let fewer immigrants in.

That said, the media portrays the issue dishonestly. They either speak of multiculturalism, which I really have no issues with but those who oppose immigration are more and more being accused of racism when in reality, I'd say the majority are anti-immigration for reasons that have anything to do with where the immigrants are actually coming from. The other is the idea that it helps poor people, which makes no sense. While some immigrants do make a good life for themselves here, which is fantastic, many still live in poverty here. And even if their conditions improve, it doesn't actually solve issues of poverty in other countries. Most still have increases in poverty that exceeds any benefit that relocating those in poverty from those countries would create. And as a general rule, most immigrants aren't the most poor people from those countries anyway. Those people rarely have the resources necessary to leave their country. We take in mostly upper lower class people. This is likely true of both legal and illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:06 PM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Republicans criticized Obama for deporting more illegal immigrants than any other president. You need to reevaluate your position.

What? First off, Obama only deported "convicted" criminals and he counted those turned around at the border as deportations. Second, he gave millions of them a stay of deportation via DACA and DAPA. I'd like to know which Republicans criticized Obama for deporting anyone unless they were just trying to pander for the Hispanic vote.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Bull.......

All that was, is, and ever shall be needed is to enforce the existing immigration laws that are on the books right now.

Problem solved. Somehow nobody on the left, or the right can seem to do this simple thing. Enforce the laws they swore an oath to uphold.

CN

Can't happen. Problem is simply too big. Costs tens of billions. Lacks anyplace near the required support to be feasible. And it likely would not work and would require a huge government expansion that would become a major problem for the country if we did make it work...

And it does involve legalization though it need not involve amnesty. And there is no workable alternatives and has not been since perhaps 1990. But both sides reneged on the agreement on the amnesty granted then and let it build until it became an insoluble problem.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
So lets say one day Julio shows up at your door step with his wife and 7 children seeking shelter. Would you greet them with open arms or slam the door in their face. If you refuse to let them in---why? Since your for open borders shouldn't that also apply for your personal home.

I posted something similar about a year and a half ago or longer. It made the liberals heads spin as they grasped for some explanation. That's not the same... That's not the same... Nanny nanny boo-boo

I didn't even put the knock on your door, part. As that would be asking.
I put they came in the window and when you woke up in the morning, the fridge was empty and there was no more hot water and the place is a wreck.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:57 PM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
So lets say one day Julio shows up at your door step with his wife and 7 children seeking shelter. Would you greet them with open arms or slam the door in their face. If you refuse to let them in---why? Since your for open borders shouldn't that also apply for your personal home.
In the end, it is next to impossible to have a discussion with liberal voters because those who make up their minds on issues based on emotion are beyond the reach of reason and logic. Put another way, how we think can never overcome how they feel.

That is also why they can hold wildly contradictory positions on the issues (eg pro LGBT, pro Muslim immigration)

Old 11-03-2016, 08:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Republicans criticized Obama for deporting more illegal immigrants than any other president. You need to reevaluate your position.
Don't let them in and they don't need deported. Problem solved.
This is 2016 the technology and engineering is there to easily seal the border. I laugh so hard at people that say otherwise. They just don't want to do it because they want cheap labor and votes.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:02 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
"Question To The Left It Seems Most Of You Are In Favor Of Open Borders; Would That Also Apply To Your Personal Home?"

What do you mean by open borders? Without restriction? I don't know anyone of either party who favors that. It wouldn't apply to my personal home either.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The right wing has this ugly need to tell the Left what it thinks. This is a classic. The only ones I know of in favor of open borders are lunatic libertarians. There is no support for it on the left.

And much, though not all, of the right continues to prevent resolution of the present immigration problem thereby giving it the opportunity to grow worse.
You simply can't make up this level of brainwashing. The progressive left have abandoned reality altogether.

You know nothing of Libertarians, and it shows.

You don't even realize/care how much of a hypocrite you are!

Again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Of course not. What's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs.
You are one of the "them" and you have been exposed. Take the red pill and wake up to reality!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You simply can't make up this level of brainwashing. The progressive left have abandoned reality altogether.

You know nothing of Libertarians, and it shows.

You don't even realize/care how much of a hypocrite you are!

Again:

You are one of the "them" and you have been exposed. Take the red pill and wake up to reality!
Yet another of the right wing customs. Losing the argument attack the opponent.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:33 AM

155 posts, read 101,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Yet another of the right wing customs. Losing the argument attack the opponent.
Ok, liberals say they are for the rule of law, right? You think the Bundy Ranch guys should have been convicted, right?
Why the exception with illegal immigration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies