Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times

Advertisements

I've known plenty of Americans with ethnic European parents. The kids whether British isles ancestry, German, Italian or whatever spoke perfect English and were considered and considered themselves white Americans as anyone else.

America didn't have mass immigration and from non-European countries until the late 1960s onward and all this talk about Europeans not being able to assimilate or be accepted is more of an isolated thing and the exception and not the general trend.

If people who gathered together and weren't assimilating well in the past and in some locations, then why the hell should that have been welcomed and accepted?

It's just no comparison to today where people are flooding in even illegally, not as encouraged to assimilate and most of all are distant genetic blood lines and cannot and will not assimilate. Meanwhile the old assimilated American stock is scapegoated endlessly.

I have a German and Italian village in my city. It doesn't mean anything and hasn't in anyone's memory. There are no Italians or Germans there maybe not even majority white or barely anymore. It's just symbolism and sentimentality.

Who cares about all that? The Amish don't assimilate but they speak English and have old time American values and most importantly they don't impose themselves and scapegoat others.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A little bit yeah, but I live and let live, provided their not coming in mass, illegally and flying the foreign flag on a pole or waving it around in lieu of the American flag.
Oh well, that's too bad that it bothers you at all, but I think that way of thought is dying.

I never thought twice about it, but then again, I like diversity. In fact, I love it. I love learning about other cultures, other food, other customs. I even married a Brit, who has a t-shirt with a Union Jack on it that is occasionally worn. Never occurred to me there are Americans out there who are actually pissed off about it.

Life is short, and you seem to sweat the small stuff.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh well, that's too bad that it bothers you at all, but I think that way of thought is dying.

(
On the contrary, it's liberals who make sure that division and group identity lives on forever and always. You liberals don't love "diversity" you destroy diversity by forcing everything together and taking sides and constantly promote division.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:09 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
I can't agree with this. America is hardly very nationalist relatively especially since the 1940s. We have been globalizing at least since then. I don't believe nationalism is bad but a very good thing. I don't see how one can say ethnocentrism is good and nationalism is bad. I say it's the opposite if anything. Mexicans are very nationalist and ethnocentric and clannish. Which would be fine by me if they were not imposing themselves on America.

From all my experiences and observing people, and looking at behaviors white Americans are the least nationalist and ethnocentric of all groups to the point of it being a shortcoming. The only exception is white Americans to this day maintained a very high European ancestry than some other groups which are more admixed, but hey women control the mating patterns in America and decide who is a mating match or not.

What bothers me is when this Mexican clannish thing trumps our immigration laws. America citizens of Mexican descent are just as obligated to respect the enforcement of our immigration laws just as any other citizen is but far too many don't.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What bothers me is when this Mexican clannish thing trumps our immigration laws. America citizens of Mexican descent are just as obligated to respect the enforcement of our immigration laws just as any other citizen is but far too many don't.
Yes that's one of the big problems. All the groups vote on ethnic group identity for Democrat basically. All they care about first and foremost is their identity group, not America, and Democrats constantly pander and encourage it. Democrats dislike America too basically. That's the motivation.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Quote:
America didn't have mass immigration and from non-European countries until the late 1960s onward and all this talk about Europeans not being able to assimilate or be accepted is more of an isolated thing and the exception and not the general trend.
I don't know about that. Almost all those ethnic rivalries are gone. But from what I hear--and I've heard it more than once--those rivalries used to exist. And it wasn't just a matter of the prevailing dominate Anglo powers in the country not immediately accepting the new "ethnic" whites into their cliques. The "ethnic" whites among used to have rivalries amongst each other (different ethnic groups).

I remember this old hot headed, white Korean War veteran was recounting to me the days of his youth in Milwaukee. I think he was half German and half Russian. At any rate... his grandfather was Russian and worked in some factory. I think the Korean War vet told me the German-Americans working in the factory hate Russians so much that one of the workers intentionally spilled hot molten metal of his grandfather. Then all the other Germans just stood looking on as his grandfather burned.

His grandfather survived but not without be physically scarred and disabled.

He had some vibrant and interesting stories about battles his father was involved in as a milk man that went joined the union. That was back when milk was delivered to houses and apartments via horse and cart and later trucks (with no heat in the winter) and placed in milk shutes (spelling?). One of the closets in my apartment has a boarded up milk shute.

Quote:
It's just no comparison to today where people are flooding in even illegally, not as encouraged to assimilate and most of all are distant genetic blood lines and cannot and will not assimilate. Meanwhile the old assimilated American stock is scapegoated endlessly.

I have a German and Italian village in my city. It doesn't mean anything and hasn't in anyone's memory. There are no Italians or Germans there maybe not even majority white or barely anymore. It's just symbolism and sentimentality.

Who cares about all that? The Amish don't assimilate but they speak English and have old time American values and most importantly they don't impose themselves and scapegoat others.
The Italianness in Milwaukee has pretty much died. It lingers on only a little. When the freeway cut through huge portions of black neighborhoods and wiped out the old Sicilian neighborhood in Milwaukee in what was the 1960's or 1970's, along with the fact Baby Boomer Italians/Sicilians fled to the suburbs, there is not much distinguishing Italian-Americans in Milwaukee any more. The younger ones are simply "white" now.

And by "white" I don't use that indentification term in a bad way. I'm saying that Italians were different from Irish and Irish from Germans and Germans from the more traditional Anglo powers (which in Milwaukee came from New York City in the 1800's known as "Yankees"). But now amongst younger generations there no longer exists those ethnic differences (other than at the most superficial level of something old cultural tradition or saying or food dish passed down) and they all fall under some racial cultural identity in the US known as "white."

But once upon a time there ethnic differences did matter to them.

I met some Generation X white woman of Sicilian ancestry here in Milwaukee some years back. Born and raised in this country. She told me her friend's (female of Northern Italian ancestry by way of her people's) Baby Boomer mother threw her (the Sicilian-American woman) out of her house when she found out she was/is Sicilian. LOL.

But the older gentleman in this video states that during his childhood years Italians were not well liked in the city. Both gentleman touch upon New York City and Pennsylvania in the interview. As Italian-Americans in certain industries did business with one another (in ethnic clannish style one might say), Italians in New York the two men say provided fruits and vegetables to Italians in Ohio, Milwaukee, and throughout the whole country where Italian communities existed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WswJXVXH0eU

Quote:
I Remember Milwaukee | Program | #186 -- Italian Community Center: Dominic Frinzi/Mario Carini
Then we have this dude in this video, and around the 11 minute mark he uses the term "Irish-Americans" I think. Apparently, Irish Fest draws in over 100,000 in attendance. People from Ireland come to attend the festival. Irish Fest send representatives to Ireland and consequently political dignitaries from Ireland have attended Irish Fest, including apparently the (former) President of Ireland, who was apparently at the time a woman. Had no idea Ireland ever had a female President.

There is an Asian and Mexican fest held on the same grounds too (on different dates of course). Imagine if Mexican Fest in Milwaukee had the President of Mexico coming to it? LOL. That might have some criticizing the Mexicans that are US citizens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8eI2P83mC7E

Quote:
I Remember | Program | #1705 -- Milwaukee Irish Fest
For the record... unlike all the building and factory/job growth that was going on in the United States when the white immigrants were coming over, that building boom is no longer going on, and the United States bringing in so many immigrants and so many Mexicans makes no sense in terms of job competition for American citizens born and raised here.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
We took their land and killed them off,we broke treaties with them time after time but they should be happy with tax breaks ???
That ain't happening in 2016. Too; many of the different American Indian tribes did things back in the day that'd be considered war crimes in 2016 but; none of the people involved are still alive.

Tho it's time for the Rez system to be phased out since ALL US tribe enrolled AI's are US citizens and, many are US military vets.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think this subject can be discussed with a more civilized manner.

Like I said earlier, I have tremendous respect towards American Indians, I really do. But i think "stealing" is a wrong choice of word. (in no way, am I suggesting you used the word)

I think the whole framework of historical rights to land is a dead end. What is important is looking forward not looking back. Around the world today you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of disputed territories, many of which te nothing to do with Western-Europeans and Native Americans.

If somebody asked a question, should America give the country to native Americans aka American Indians, I would say No more so than any migratory tribe that conquered an indigenous people and then occupied the land, and/or claimed sovereignty over it.

Also, who owns america, the question presumes a moral context that did not exist prior to 1945. Up until that date, nations engaged in conquest constrained only by their capacity to do so successfully amongst the other nations and the "native" tribes of the Americas were no different in their prominence.

Did the US "steal" land from native tribes? i would say The land was conquered. It was conquered in a time where conquest was the global norm. Conquest is no longer a global norm now.
Agreed tho Russia's Putin still thinks like a Hitler or Stalin in 1940. But

Back to the US: NO person about 90 years old or younger's responsible for how things were done in 1945, I said "90" since the legal age was 21 in most places then.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:58 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
A little bit yeah, but I live and let live, provided their not coming in mass, illegally and flying the foreign flag on a pole or waving it around in lieu of the American flag.
You must leave the country on St. Patrick's day.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:12 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You must leave the country on St. Patrick's day.

Flying an Irish flag one day out of the year is a whole lot different then flying another foreign flag all year long especially when there is an illegal invasion from that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies