Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,677,079 times

Advertisements

Some people in this thread are crazy. We aren't allowed to speak other languages in the US now? Sheesh, with this attitude it's no wonder that most Americans don't care to speak other languages. Most immigrants want to learn English! Why wouldn't they? Learning English makes it easier for them to get a job and perform daily functions of life (shopping, going to the bank). It can take years to become fluent in a language, so it's definitely not something that will happen in a week.

I'm proud to say I speak three languages and I hope that one day more Americans start respecting language learning.

I live in Texas and have frequent contact with Hispanics. They speak English better than most Americans speak Spanish.

I bet we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the immigrants came from a first world country like France or Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Immigrants who don't respect our flag and feel no allegiance to our country shouldn't even be here.
OK, this is something I do have a problem with. I don't understand why anyone would move to another country if you are unwilling to adapt. I suspect that most of these people are just in it for the job and nothing else. These are the kinds of people we DON'T want here. When I visit a country, I always attempt to learn a few phrases in the language and try local foods.

It would be like an American moving to France, but only hanging out with Americans, and complaining the entire time that there isn't a Taco Bell or Whataburger, and that everyone isn't speaking English.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Default Those were the days, my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryParks View Post
When Americans acted like men.
3 years & 3 months ago? (Per the time stamp @ YouTube.)

Old 11-05-2016, 09:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,723,407 times
Quote:
Immigrants who don't respect our flag and feel no allegiance to our country shouldn't even be here.
What about people who proudly fly the flag of a group that wanted to break up the country? Doesn't feel very patriotic to me, yet we had at least one state flying said flag over their Capitol.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
This is a older video, but it is a perfect example of the type of immigrants OBAMA has let into our country. Non-Assimilating immigrants that will put their country over ours. It is a disgrace and I think it is disrespectful for you to come to America, then fly your Mexican flag over ours? If your country is so much better, then please go back. Our flag deserves to be flown first in our country.

I am glad this veteran showed them whats up. I do not agree with him stealing the flag though...

What do you guys think?

Well, if the restaurant owners are/were from Mexico, they were already in America (North America). Most likely they were born & bred in Mexico, which puts their N. American ancestry back to the 1520s, possibly.

& the flags of Spain, New Spain, Mexico (possibly Russia - I'd have to look), plus various Roman Catholic missions have all flown over bits of CA (although the Spanish RC missionaries weren't all that interested in flags per se - but doctrine is doctrine.) So - CA belongs to the US by force of arms, back in 1848, was it? That means it's centuries too late to quibble about whose flag flew first there - the Spanish were in CA (named it) - Junipero Serra founded missions @ San Diego in 1769. (João Rodrigues Cabrilho landed @ San Diego Bay 1542 - possibly Portuguese, but working on Spain's behalf).

So whose country is it? The Native Peoples' first, I figure. But I don't know that they went in for flags - it being the West Coast, maybe totem poles? Then maybe Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, British? TMK, the Spanish are the first to colonize out there (CA), & make it stick - although the Russians were likely first, further north.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Default History, history, history

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Don't speak Spanish or other foreign languages, Don't fly foreign flags, be patriotic for America and not another nation and people, obey the laws, customs and celebrate American holidays, show an affinity for American pop culture, call yourself American not hyphenated-American, don't be ethnically clannish, adopt the predominate religion if you choose to have a faith, don't wear a rag on your head, it would be nice if they voted similarly to the native white populace roughly split Democrat/Republican but lean Republican instead of directly opposed locked step etc etc.

Mexicans got the assimilate clothing and religion and some of the holidays assimilated but usually nothing else..
Spanish is a foreign language in the New World? Not last time I looked - there are far more Spanish speakers here than English speakers. Or are we confusing America with the US again? Yah, English is now the established language in the US, just as Spanish is in the Americas. & if the languages (other than Native Peoples') are foreign, so too are the flags.

American holidays - Yah, Christmas (not Biblical, not observed by hardcore Protestants @ all, as I recall), Tet, Columbus Day (various avatars), Mardi Gras, Cherry Blossom observation day - the list is endless, & due to the polyglot origins of the population of the US (assuming that we're talking about US holidays, yes?) US pop culture - You can have my share, I'm not real fond of the excesses.

Yah, we're American - & so are the gauchos on the Pampa, the Canadians, the Jamaicans, & so on. Adopt the predominate religion - No, that is a completely un-Constitutional thing to ask. We (the US) were founded against that kind of thinking.

The native populace in what is now the US couldn't be characterized as white until - what, the time of the US Civil War? Somewhere in there, I should think.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 AM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Well, if the restaurant owners are/were from Mexico, they were already in America (North America). Most likely they were born & bred in Mexico, which puts their N. American ancestry back to the 1520s, possibly.

& the flags of Spain, New Spain, Mexico (possibly Russia - I'd have to look), plus various Roman Catholic missions have all flown over bits of CA (although the Spanish RC missionaries weren't all that interested in flags per se - but doctrine is doctrine.) So - CA belongs to the US by force of arms, back in 1848, was it? That means it's centuries too late to quibble about whose flag flew first there - the Spanish were in CA (named it) - Junipero Serra founded missions @ San Diego in 1769. (João Rodrigues Cabrilho landed @ San Diego Bay 1542 - possibly Portuguese, but working on Spain's behalf).

So whose country is it? The Native Peoples' first, I figure. But I don't know that they went in for flags - it being the West Coast, maybe totem poles? Then maybe Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, British? TMK, the Spanish are the first to colonize out there (CA), & make it stick - although the Russians were likely first, further north.
The U.S. isn't a continent it's an individual country with an individual flag. Doesn't matter who flew what flag first anywhere. There were no native peoples. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:50 AM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Spanish is a foreign language in the New World? Not last time I looked - there are far more Spanish speakers here than English speakers. Or are we confusing America with the US again? Yah, English is now the established language in the US, just as Spanish is in the Americas. & if the languages (other than Native Peoples') are foreign, so too are the flags.

American holidays - Yah, Christmas (not Biblical, not observed by hardcore Protestants @ all, as I recall), Tet, Columbus Day (various avatars), Mardi Gras, Cherry Blossom observation day - the list is endless, & due to the polyglot origins of the population of the US (assuming that we're talking about US holidays, yes?) US pop culture - You can have my share, I'm not real fond of the excesses.

Yah, we're American - & so are the gauchos on the Pampa, the Canadians, the Jamaicans, & so on. Adopt the predominate religion - No, that is a completely un-Constitutional thing to ask. We (the US) were founded against that kind of thinking.

The native populace in what is now the US couldn't be characterized as white until - what, the time of the US Civil War? Somewhere in there, I should think.
The topic is the U.S. not the entire continent. English is U.S. national de facto language therefore Spanish and any other languages spoken here are foreign ones. American is just the common term for U.S. citizens so I suggest you stop spinning it some other way. People refer to themselves by the country they are citizens of not the entire continent. The U.S. is the exception because as I said the word American has been the common term for U.S. citizens only.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:56 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Don't speak Spanish or other foreign languages, Don't fly foreign flags, be patriotic for America and not another nation and people, obey the laws, customs and celebrate American holidays, show an affinity for American pop culture, call yourself American not hyphenated-American, don't be ethnically clannish, adopt the predominate religion if you choose to have a faith, don't wear a rag on your head, it would be nice if they voted similarly to the native white populace roughly split Democrat/Republican but lean Republican instead of directly opposed locked step etc etc.

Mexicans got the assimilate clothing and religion and some of the holidays assimilated but usually nothing else..
An affinity for American pop? Like Miley Cyrus and One Direction? I think you're asking a bit much here...

Old 11-05-2016, 03:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
An affinity for American pop? Like Miley Cyrus and One Direction? I think you're asking a bit much here...
No, I meant popular culture in the broader sense, American and western music, classical, rock, pop, country and just general American arts and entertainment and culture as opposed to Mexican and latin American.

If anything, those types of examples like Miley are globalist corporate produced garbage intended to clown America and Americans.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-05-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Quote:
The topic is the U.S. not the entire continent. English is U.S. national de facto language therefore Spanish and any other languages spoken here are foreign ones. American is just the common term for U.S. citizens so I suggest you stop spinning it some other way. People refer to themselves by the country they are citizens of not the entire continent. The U.S. is the exception because as I said the word American has been the common term for U.S. citizens only.
Much of the spin, strawman and patently un-American replies in this thread aren't worth responding to, but good reply. Someone asked the question "what are they (foreigners) supposed to assimilate too?" Duh . And I made a partial list and the La Raza and anti-American crew went into a rampage of spin, false claims, strawman and anti-American defiance proving the point. Just zero damm respect for America and Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.