Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 05:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

I live in a state that I will be extremely surprised if marijuana is legal in before 2050. However, as more and more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, it's going to make less and less sense for something as simple as a joint to be legal in one state yet will get you a felony and 10 years behind bars on the other side of an imaginary line. My guess is what you will start to see is "partial legalization" like what Washington DC did. You can possess it and grow it for yourself, but you can't buy or sell it. While I think full legalization efforts will continue through the blue states, partial legalization is more likely in the red states.

How far do you think this is from becoming a reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in a state that I will be extremely surprised if marijuana is legal in before 2050. However, as more and more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, it's going to make less and less sense for something as simple as a joint to be legal in one state yet will get you a felony and 10 years behind bars on the other side of an imaginary line. My guess is what you will start to see is "partial legalization" like what Washington DC did. You can possess it and grow it for yourself, but you can't buy or sell it. While I think full legalization efforts will continue through the blue states, partial legalization is more likely in the red states.

How far do you think this is from becoming a reality?
Close in the West and Northeast..

Long time away in the South.

UNLESS.. The south figures out that it's the new cash crop. In which case, you might see a surprising turnaround on it.

Plow up the tobacco and plant weed.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Close in the West and Northeast..

Long time away in the South.

UNLESS.. The south figures out that it's the new cash crop. In which case, you might see a surprising turnaround on it.

Plow up the tobacco and plant weed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

When Cali is swimming in $10Byr of extra tax revenue, saving billions in prisons and legal BS, and the rest of the states see the entire Devil Weed war was a complete clusterfk...

California was the cog in the system that just got greased, and now the money machine has been turned on.

You can't put the genie back in the bong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in a state that I will be extremely surprised if marijuana is legal in before 2050. However, as more and more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, it's going to make less and less sense for something as simple as a joint to be legal...
10 years at most. All states will have med, and at least half rec. 28 states now have med and 8 rec. The tide has finally tuned and it only took 78 years for people to come to their senses.

BTW, there are still some blue (dry) counties... so, there are still some pretty backassward groups of people out there.

Irony to me, Texas is the biggest state with dry and/or mixed counties... yet also have drive through liquor stores. Think about that one.

Last edited by steven_h; 11-11-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2016, 07:03 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,288,966 times
If the tight old school state of Massachusetts which already has the medical marijuana program going and just passed the recreational marijuana use ballot question, anything is possible. This will happen sooner than people think I believe. The movement is gaining steam in a big way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies