Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 PM

800 posts, read 508,266 times

Advertisements

First thing libertarians need to look at is to not make the mistake of having someone like Weld on the ticket. He seems 100 times more interested in having Hillary win than his own running mate. And his insistence on stopping Trump winning? Despicable! If he or another libertarian, or republican doesn't like Trump, fine, but his cheering for Hillary Clinton and her corrupt big government ways is so counter to libertarianism that it just blows my mind how anyone could want him in the white house even just as a VP. Its understandable when some rhinos prefer Clinton but you can't do it if you claim to be a libertarian. Plus when Weld was asked who is a foreign leader he most admires? Answer: Merkel. Weld is horrible, just horrible. I wasn't going to vote Johnson like I did in 2012 anyways but I wouldn't vote for him again because of his running mate alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 07:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
The area where I feel I can make a difference is in combatting the rise of Regressive Left thought (do a search for my name and the word "regressive" for details). I have a small impact, and the best to be hoped for is slightly delaying the inevitable, but I truly believe this movement is one of the great evils that will dovetail with technologies we can hardly conceive of (beyond sci-fi) right now to bring about a future dystopia that makes today look like a golden age for individual liberty, privacy, reason, and self-rule.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 11-04-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:58 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
What are the next top Libertarians to run for 2020?

Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Please . . .

Your gun control, immigration, and LGBT rights stances look like a moderate democrat. If that's all you intend, then support moderate democrats. If not, then explain what distinguishes your organization. You're not going to occupy the center--it's taken.

Try winning some seats in Congress or a couple of state legislatures. You'll never win a Presidential election without a real, national party. There are two of those, and the Libertarian Party is not one of them. Johnson never had a chance.

Nice . . . don't tell people what your Party believes in and trick them into supporting your ideology. I agree with you about focusing on state and local elections. But if your platform is unpopular, your Party will be unpopular. At some point you have to choose between ideology and success, because the Libertarian ideology is not popular.
LOL! I am a pretty die hard libertarian. I fooled you, didn't I?

That's the kind of message we libertarians need!

We need to speak their language- the liberal language.

I am an immigrant and don't speak good English. One time we were talking about the no fly list with a bunch of liberal Americans, I countered with the "due process." More than 3/4 of the people had no idea what the due process was!!! The other 1/4 thought since people were put on the list, the due process must have been followed. Only another libertarian knew what I was taking about. No, it's not my English.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 11-04-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Can I? I was not born in this country though. Since Obama ran, I should qualify too, no?

Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would say there is too much philosophizing and not enough pragmatism. The liberals bite off one piece at a time while libertarians dream of some politically impossible scenario.
Outsider perspective - I think you're right.

But also, our current system is biased against third parties. Sure, run a candidate for president, for visibility reasons. The real change will be realized when some 3rd party or other starts winning state and local races. So identify which states you are most likely to be able to win, and start some serious organizing. I mean, field some city council and mayoral candidates.

It's a long, slow slog, and I don't think the Ls have even really begun to come to grips with it, even though they've been on the ballot for decades. You're always a protest vote, and you will remain so until there's a real bench with real experience to draw on.

Johnson/Weld are the closest you've come to serious candidates, so some progress has been made.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Support ranked choice voting in Maine would be a good start. Its on the ballot and it would be the first state in history AFAIK that would implement a system where you will rank your choices so the lesser of two evils no longer will apply.

Is the libertarian movement up for it? It has a great chance of succeeding.

http://www.rcvmaine.com/

Old 11-05-2016, 12:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Hell, we can't get 5% of the vote when running against Clinton and Trump.
They deserve less than 5% this time.

“Well I’m here vouching for Mrs. Clinton,” he explained, “and I think it’s high time somebody did, and I’m doing it based on my personal experience with her. I think she deserves to have people vouch for her other than members of the Democratic National Committee, so I’m here to do that.”

One would be chaos for the country, I think, and the other would be a very businesslike and and capable and competent to approach to our affairs.

Bill Weld’s embrace of Hillary Clinton directly undermines libertarians’ unique appeal – Rare

Her policies are failures so how is she competent? Maybe he was saying competent as far as keeping us involved in never ending wars and renaming rest stops.

I agree with a lot of Libertarian policies. Welds a tool.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
As I noted earlier Austin Petersen will be the nominee in 2020.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Support ranked choice voting in Maine would be a good start. Its on the ballot and it would be the first state in history AFAIK that would implement a system where you will rank your choices so the lesser of two evils no longer will apply.

Is the libertarian movement up for it? It has a great chance of succeeding.

The Committee for Ranked Choice Voting
If Maine or NH became Libertarian I be sold. Like if my state of CT became Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies