Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I feel bad for those Canadians, as they're practically handing their entire country a death sentence. If only they realize all the horror going on in other countries.
I think this one deserves another response.

The intentional muder rate in the U.S. has gradually been in decline to the 1960's figures since a peak in the 90's but you are still more than double that of Canada or France.

In essence what that means is without any nonsense of "horror" being bandied about, either Canada or France could afford to absorb any element causing an increase of murder rate of 100% before we would equate to the decreased yearly offering in the U.S.

The U.S. has absorbed upwards of 3.3 MILLION Muslims and during that same period of immigration the violent crime stats decreased.

Being just as irrationally emotive as the poster above showing sympathy for Canada I'm going to opine the U.S., in the absence of any real evidence to the contrary, should allow more Muslims as it's obvious they must be responsible for a DECREASE in American violent crimes.

Here again; sexual assaults in America, while still way above those occurring elsewhere in the world, have decreased during a period of Muslim population increase in America.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_United_States

So; once again, using the same type of irrational assessment as that fostered by your fear mongering MSM; one could just as irrationally state....you need more Muslims to bring your country into less criminality conformance with others, vis-à-vis the horrors spoken of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
NOPE...But just like your American Constitution stipulates..there is a SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE...so how does Canada offend those that defend their American Constitution so hateful?? Just asking???
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

So let me see if I understand this: the motion "condemns" Islamophobia but has no legislative power? So what does it do? What is the point?

Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

So let me see if I understand this: the motion "condemns" Islamophobia but has no legislative power? So what does it do? What is the point?
Isn't criticizing Islam already against the law in Canada?

Old 11-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Ok I found a much more descriptive article that's more than just feelings and explains that it's not just about "condemning" Islamophobia but HATE CRIMES. Okay well that is a completely different story. More than just the fear but actual ACTS. Confused as to why the article shared in the OP did not explain this.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-an...151729493.html

Old 11-04-2016, 07:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Canada Passed An Anti-Islamophobia Motion. Islamophobia is defined as "dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force."
In Case You Missed It, Canada Passed An Anti-Islamophobia Motion*|*Thomas Woodley

Mosques in Canada are not as 'nice' as the smug Canadians would like to think of themselves.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ure-study.html

May the Muslims increase their tribe in Canada with their special protected status, that no other minority religious community enjoys in Canada.
As their population percentage rises, the LGBT, Women, and Minority freedom and rights will only increase in Canada.

Oh Canada!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBof59aMGI

So if you have a dislike of Muslims, you're breaking the law?

Do they have such laws if you have a dislike of Latino's, black people, white people, Jews, Christians, the LGBTQ community, or citizens who may be disliked by the Muslims?

Old 11-04-2016, 07:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Ok I found a much more descriptive article that's more than just feelings and explains that it's not just about "condemning" Islamophobia but HATE CRIMES. Okay well that is a completely different story. More than just the fear but actual ACTS. Confused as to why the article shared in the OP did not explain this.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-an...151729493.html

Okay, makes more sense, but again, do they already have laws for others?

Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

It satisfies the desired impression that the "house" is united in it's condemnation because the motion passed being tested in the house.

That is the reason why it made very little noise in the press. It's a bit of 'touchy-feely' to sooth the pressure put upon the politicos to declare themselves. The rest of Canada couldn't shive-a-git but for the part of Islamaphobia rearing it's ugly head in ways akin to skinheads burning churches in Alabama. As has been pointed out, there are already any number of appropriate laws to deal with that stuff.

I would like to think we're similar in our distaste for that nonsense.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Yep. Any identifiable group.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
"While the motion indicates that the leaders of this country are unified in condemning racist acts against those of the Muslim faith, it doesn’t introduce any new actions concerning hate crimes."

The article has a pretty good explanation. Basically it's symbolic, that Canada won't stand for these attacks. I don't know Canadian law and justice and government but it seems kind of useless to me. I imagine hate crimes are already condemned, like they are here, and I imagine they are going to happen regardless.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
NOPE...But just like your American Constitution stipulates..there is a SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE...so how does Canada offend those that defend their American Constitution so hateful?? Just asking???
Your post is unclear, Lyndarn, but there is NO constitutional guarantee of separation of church and state in Canada as there is in the US.

Exhibit A: taxpayer funded religious schools (Roman Catholic). They are extremely well-funded and flourishing in Canada; they are non-existent in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies