Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 10:59 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I want to try and stay focused more on what's going on in this country in relation to Congress & the President. However, social media obviously is not the way to go. I don't think this forum is either.

Is there a unbiased website that puts out real information on stuff that the President & Congress do/pass. For example, when the President makes an executive decision you can read about what exactly is.

I'd like to be able to check something every other day to see what's going on without having to read about it where the information maybe skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
I don't think so. "Facts" have to be interpreted in order to report them. Bias in inherently human, and humans are inherently biased. Anyone who says there is a completely unbiased news-source is really just saying there is a news-source that aligns perfectly with their interpretation of the world.

I try to get my news from multiple sources and work it out from there....

Old 11-14-2016, 11:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
if you don't think this is a good place to get real, unbiased information (which it isn't), why do you think it's a good place to come for suggestions about where to find it?

(Semi) kidding aside, you might try a non-US news source. I like BBC. The lack of a direct interest in our politics seems to lend some objectivity. I also like NPR, but it makes the righties' heads explode. The best bet is to use a variety of reputable sources across the political spectrum.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Read and find the post that go beyond the craziness and simply deal with variables that present perspectives that help keep the mind Open.

Example: "Message to Many"

For Political News, to know what is taking place in the Political Matters of congressional hearing and engagements, as that goes down as documentations, "Watch CSPAN".

But if one whats to hear "Punditry" there are countless sources of such. (A pundit is a person who offers to mass media his or her opinion or commentary on a particular subject area)

Current network media in every sectors is playing "cover their butt" and trying to find a way to look good",(they are now like a bad joke, played against and upon themselves). after all their drama projections were not as they presented and staked their claims, and pushed their opinions. TV Media and Talk Radio - is just spinning the top, forwards and backwards, trying to create and promote more drama. These people making their living at this stuff.

Fact is simple: Trump Won the Office of President - The gravity of the job is its own gravity force, he's come to terms with the difference in what is campaigning commentary, and what is the reality within the position and what is the realism of what is the Position.

His focus is as he said, "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", AND EVERYTHING within his frame work is connected to the economy....... He is not going to let anything divert him from that.
He's told the people, his whole life has been in "Business", he's not one who let things distract him from those objectives.

He does not need any money, he had social power and commercial power, and now he has the power position of the nation.

If he abuse it, it will destroy him. If he respects it and moves forth with his focused goals of "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY", "ECONOMY" - then his acts and actions will lead to an improved Economy, which means an improved America for All Americans.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 11-14-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I want to try and stay focused more on what's going on in this country in relation to Congress & the President. However, social media obviously is not the way to go. I don't think this forum is either.

Is there a unbiased website that puts out real information on stuff that the President & Congress do/pass. For example, when the President makes an executive decision you can read about what exactly is.

I'd like to be able to check something every other day to see what's going on without having to read about it where the information maybe skewed.
Good luck with this....I'm in the same boat, as I'm sure millions of other critical thinkers are. It almost seems these days that every news outlet has a slant to it. All humans have a bias, and reporters and news outlets are made up of people with biases....so I'm not even sure it's possible.

The only thing you can do it monitor various news outlets from the entire political spectrum and evaluate what they report with your own "truth filter" and try and be as objective as you can be.

When Trump won the election, I watched the national news the next night on both ABC and NBC.

The lead story on one showed a video of some kids/students running around a school with a Trump for President sign and the reporter was telling us they were voicing racial/ethnic slurs and telling certain groups to leave the US and go back to where they came from. The gist of the story was that most Trump supporters were, once again, deplorable, racist and wanted to run everyone who immigrated out of the country.

The other networks lead story showed large groups of people roving the streets with various signs showing that Trump wasn't their president, he hadn't really won the election (electoral vs raw vote), that he was more or less a racist scumbag. There was also protestors breaking windows, lighting police cars on fire and all the normal stuff that unhinged, deplorable protestors typically do, sad to say.

I watched both of these newscasts (side note...I love Tivo for this reason) and if I were to have watched only one of them, I'd have bought into only one side of the story. Now I see both sides of the story. Trump has some unsavory people....and guess what ? News flash.....the liberal side has some unhinged deplorable people too!

Neither side of the political spectrum has the lock on virtue, good character and a "always do the right thing" mentality. Anyone who tells you otherwise, has bought into some story book fairy tail...but that doesn't mean they don't' 100% believe it, sorry to say.

The trouble in our country is that we have far to many "leaders" who want to be in charge (ie: win elections to gain "power" over us) just a little bit to much. If we had more people who ran for office because they felt they had something to offer, without vesting their entire being into winning, come hell, high water, or the numerous lies/mistruths/misleading statements, they use to get elected, we'd be far better off.

We've become a nation where people run for office usually seem to have the "I'll win no matter what it takes" mentality....and we're all worse off for it. Opposition research means nothing more than you don't' really have much confidence in your own ideas to win people over, so you have to dig, dig, dig into your opponents past to find a few skeletons (real or made up, matters not, as long as they sound plausible enough for your sycophants to swallow for a time) to make sure that no matter how bad or lacking you are.....your opponent would seem even worse! What a race to the bottom. We do this and expect our country to be successful ?

Last edited by jasper1372; 11-14-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
I suggest original sources:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/

https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

Yes. The office of the president and congress have official .gov websites. They are about as value free and balanced as you get.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:34 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

yes! and the HILL is pretty good to see the news-

Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

Thank you! This is what I was thinking of but could not put a finger on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies