Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Everyone wonders how it was that our grandfathers could graduate high school and immediately get a job that could pay for a 3-bdrm house on a 1-acre lot, with his single income. Well duh ... the population was much smaller, there was much more land available, and there was less competition for housing since the marriage rate was much higher.
Nah. I could head to my hometown and buy a perfectly livable 3/2 house on a nice wooded lot for $75k. Where I live now, it would take at least $350k and probably much more. The big difference is the number and type of jobs. If the economy is thriving, people will come seeking employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Old Economy Steve

Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Your father or grandfather with a 3rd grade education"

Ignorance is bliss

Grandfather's toady were kids in the early 50's and the VAST majority had a high school education.
I know lots of people born in the 1930s and many of them came from rural areas and many did not complete high school, but got middle class jobs in the city. Don't tell me what I know.

"
Quote:
an autoworker bought a house, a new car every two years maybe owned a 2nd vehicle or a RV,"

Autoworkers did NOT pay RETAIL for their cars. They got a HUGE DISCOUNT.
It's not a huge discount, usually was less than 15% and wouldn't explain why they could buy new cars regularly. And the funny thing is the discount today is usually much less.
Quote:
"Your brother today with a bachelors degree"

Depends on what the degree is in.

ALL 4 of my grand kids and several nieces and nephews have graduate from college within the past 3 years and ALL of the found GOOD jobs within 3 months of graduating.
That doesn't necessarily represent the college graduate workforce.

Quote:
"The factory is moving to mexico"

The U.S. is the SECOND largest manufacturing country in the WORLD.
So what? The wages have dropped. We're also like the third most populated country now and the largest consumer market and should be far and away the largest manufacturing country. There's no denying we lost 10,000s of manufactures and millions of jobs to outsourcing.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Could it have something to do with our failure to control overseas investment of our capital and lack of countervailing tariffs on imports? I suppose not. After all the FREE MARKET is supposed to take care of those things.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:25 PM

603 posts, read 573,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Everyone wonders how it was that our grandfathers could graduate high school and immediately get a job that could pay for a 3-bdrm house on a 1-acre lot, with his single income. Well duh ... the population was much smaller, there was much more land available, and there was less competition for housing since the marriage rate was much higher.
Well hadn't outsourced the majority of our manufacturing economy to third world countries and signed lousy trade deals so a high school graduate could go to work in a factory and earn a living wage.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Could it have something to do with our failure to control overseas investment of our capital and lack of countervailing tariffs on imports? I suppose not. After all the FREE MARKET is supposed to take care of those things.
The free market ends at the nation's borders. Beyond that only national interest and national security exist.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but the existing landlords don't want that."

What do "landlords" have to do with building a house in MOST of the U.S.?
Seriously? Think NIMBY.....

Old 11-07-2016, 01:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
But I thought competition was good.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Competition is good but price controlling oligopolies are far better.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Regardless of their level of education, regardless of their work ethic, no one who lives here

...drives this to work...

...and has lunch here...

Can compete with someone who lives here...

...takes this to work...

...and eats lunch here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies