Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 09:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Rome was the most powerful empire before the US.
In the human history, the British Empire was the second most powerful empire before the US.

The Roman empire, though quite powerful, is nothing compared to other empires such as the Mongol and the Chinese.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Because we don't want know criminals or mental patients to legally obtain guns.
But you are 100% fine with the same criminals or mental patients to obtain other means to rape and kill you?

Sorry, that's a little too much mental contortion for me at this hour.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:26 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And?
So if you are in a situation in which your attacker is running after you with a knife, but you are in a car, under New York law, you are guilty of murder if you get out of your car and kill your attacker if you could have safely driven away. The duty to retreat, however, does not apply in a situation in which you are in your home.
And ? This was what the OP state and from this blog , looks like it was true.

"Your response to an attack has to be proportional to the attack that you are defending yourself from. For example, if a person comes up to you and starts to punch you in the face, you may be justified in punching him back to defend yourself. However, in that same hypothetical, you would not be justified in taking out a gun and shooting your attacker dead."

Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And ? This was what the OP state and from this blog , looks like it was true.

"Your response to an attack has to be proportional to the attack that you are defending yourself from. For example, if a person comes up to you and starts to punch you in the face, you may be justified in punching him back to defend yourself. However, in that same hypothetical, you would not be justified in taking out a gun and shooting your attacker dead."
So?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Rome was the most powerful empire before the US.
England.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So?

Okay, it's Monday , I'm eating my lunch ...what is your point exactly ? To prove me or the OP wrong ? Fine, I'm wrong you are right. Make you feel better now ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwPovyR9HY

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?
I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....
Thank you. Thank you for not being an idiot and owning a gun without understanding it. Thank you for knowing your own limitations (based on no exposure and nothing else).
I mean that with all sincerity. The worst thing I can think of is a person who has never been around guns going out, getting one and never knowing anything about it.
Having said that, let me say I fall squarely in the camp that the 2nd amendment is sacred and the right for individuals to keep and bear arms is sacred.
I believe in personal protection and law abiding citizens should have that right and it should not be restricted by the government.

Let me also say that 911 is awesome... AFTER THE FACT. 911 wont help you one bit at 2am when you hear a window busted in hour house and see a guy crawling thru. But a 9mm will.

My suggestion to you is to seriously consider that. You have a right here that is worth your consideration. THat doesn't mean I think you should go out and buy a gun. If you give serious consideration to the matter, and decide that not owning a gun is right for you then good for you. But ignoring this is almost as bad as ignorantly buying a gun just because you can.

If however, you really think about it and want to explore gun ownership, do some research, go with a buddy to a gun range. Learn about firearms. handle them in a safe location with trained people. then take a class or two.
Its never a bad thing for good people to act in a responsible manner.

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, it's Monday , I'm eating my lunch ...what is your point exactly ? To prove me or the OP wrong ? Fine, I'm wrong you are right. Make you feel better now ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwPovyR9HY
No, my point was that that poster made it seem as if you could NEVER defend yourself, which isn't true.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I grew up in the northeast. I've never known anyone who owned a licensed gun. They may have owned one but I didn't know about it. When I was a kid a friend showed me a gun his father had once found. It was unloaded, I did not want to touch it, it was very scary looking to me as a kid, I knew they could be dangerous. I have never touched a gun. As you get older, you get bolder. If I ever felt the need to get one, I certainly would.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
England.
5 most powerful economic empires of all time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies