Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should She Be Able To Wear the Shirt Without Facing Suspension?
Yes, of course! Freedom of Speech baby! 87 85.29%
No, Remove the Shirt! It is un-appropriate and you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion. 15 14.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So, whatever the bullies don't like, must be banned!!

...and the bullies win.
Are you calling the school policy a "bully" because it disallows students from wearing disruptive shirts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:57 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If you found a shirt like that, and brought it to school, I would also call that inappropriate.

For what it's worth "freedom of speech" is not what this is for. Freedom of speech is to prevent punishment from the government for inflammatory speech. This is not to allow you to bring whatever shirt (no matter how disruptive) to school.

School is for learning, not for disruptions. Coming in with a politically charged shirt is disruptive, period. Freedom of Speech need not apply. If "Freedom of Speech" is your argument, then you are bastardizing the purpose behind the concept.
It's about what one considers inflammatory. That's what you don't get.
The school, in their teachings, should never bring up the candidates. Why would they need to?
Either allow political shirts or don't. Easy enough.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's about what one considers inflammatory. That's what you don't get.
It doesn't matter what one considers to be inflammatory. It's politically charged and disruptive whether the students agree or disagree. Shirts like that shouldn't (and aren't) allowed.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Depends what else is on that shirt.
T shirt bad
but this is okay?
“There was a group of girls in there who started talking really loudly and kind of obnoxiously about how awful Trump supporters are and how they are all racist and saying some really ignorant things,†said Yeakle.

If you are going to say the teacher should punish those girls too then at least you'd be consistent.
She'd be wrong to say she has a right, but do you have proof she did say or think that? I didn't read it in the article.
The thing is, the Hilary for prison shirt says nothing of her supporters, and yet the "girls in there who started talking really loudly and kind of obnoxiously about how awful Trump supporters are and how they are all racist."

The girl wearing the shirt was not targeting anyone else, not denigrating or insulting anyone in that school, but the bullies are. The bullies made it personal. The school is allowing the bullies to win .

Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now that you place it in that context, it is consistent with how schools operate today. For instance, if a bully pounds a kid in the hall and a teach stops it, both kids get suspended because both kids were "involved in a violent incident."

And this is what kids learn that "justice" means to civil authority.
While I don't like the way schools tend to deal with verbally abusive bullies by controlling the behavior of the victim instead of the bully, I've never seen anything like the above.

I HAVE seen where, if one kids starts beating up another, and the other hits back, they're both suspended, but have never read or heard about an incident that one sided where both got suspended.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Oh dear Lord to the poster who just posted the shirt is inflammatory.
I've calmly stated how your thought process is absurd. Based on the absurd statement YOU made.

YOUR POST THAT I AM QUOTING ALONE PROVES THAT POINT!!!!

Did you just learn a new word today? Inflammatory

Again the only reason you said the shirt was inflammatory was because it exposes your piece of garbage candidate for what she is.

B-b-b-b-ut I was making it about the schools rules. yea riiiiiight
oh my I hope that comment wasn't inflammatory?
LMAO at how ridiculous you sound.

Most people on c-d know I LOATHE Clinton and want to see her in prison, so get a clue about what you're posting to people.

A person cannot even calmly explain here why the school took the stand they did, without being piled on, as I've been.

Given that so-called adults behave this badly, the school had a right to be concerned.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 AM

wolf, you're arguing with people who either have raised, or will raise, special snowflakes who think what their child wants to do outweighs school rules.

These are the kinds of parents who show up to school board meetings each month to argue about the most inane things. They're time wasters.

They cannot even see that a school has the right to prohibit students from wearing certain clothing. They're outraged by it. That's not....normal, for lack of a better word.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,566 times
What if instead she were wearing a "Trump, Grab me Deep" T-Shirt? ....

I guess she should be able to wear whatever she wants. People should respect her but not necesarily be friendly.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
While I don't like the way schools tend to deal with verbally abusive bullies by controlling the behavior of the victim instead of the bully, I've never seen anything like the above.

I HAVE seen where, if one kids starts beating up another, and the other hits back, they're both suspended, but have never read or heard about an incident that one sided where both got suspended.
I have.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It doesn't matter what one considers to be inflammatory. It's politically charged and disruptive whether the students agree or disagree. Shirts like that shouldn't (and aren't) allowed.
So what about religious garb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies