Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uhhhhh. You lost me. We have UHI. IT EXISTS.

For Example: Just cause I want the social security to work differently, it doesn't make a flying frog's bit of difference. We can write about social security all day. The system we have is the system we have.

Same for UHI. We ALREADY HAVE IT. If we get more of it, it will look exactly like WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE.

This is fallacious Right Wing speak.

You don't seem to believe that UHI when applied to PREVENTIVE CARE on younger Americans would have NO BENEFITS down the line? GUESS AGAIN, RUSH (and pass the OxyContin)!

Last edited by ParkTwain; 03-04-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Uhhhhh. You lost me. We have UHI. IT EXISTS.

For Example: Just cause I want the social security to work differently, it doesn't make a flying frog's bit of difference. We can write about social security all day. The system we have is the system we have.

Same for UHI. We ALREADY HAVE IT. If we get more of it, it will look exactly like WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE.

Um.. NOW you lost me.. we don't have UHI.. NOT when there are 40 plus million people uninsured and underinsured in this country. THAT is NOT a definition of UHI.. For one..

A TRUE UHI is one where EVERYONE has the same great coverage for everythign. There IS NO such thing as teh "uninsured " or "underinsured". Right now, the only people guaranteed insurance are those on medicaid.. which they do not even CONTRIBUTE to the system to get (whereas UHI would be contributed by income tax).

So..UHI ..as it exists in UK or France .. DOES NOT exist as long as insurance is out of financial reach for millions of Americans and that number grows everyday.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
To some degree this is already making the point. You note that in the US, 31% of costs is spent on administration while in Canada it's only 17% despite that system being a "mess." Why do you think the cost/waste in Canada is so much lower?

Thank you.. he's also HAS NOT read all the items I've pointed to on this and other threads on the boards..

For one .. cost is reduced administratively, as you stated. It is also reduced when as a group prices can be negotiated.. buying in "bulk" (which is why Canada purchase the same name brand drugs at 50% of the cost). There is also the issue of how there is no "uninsured" or "underinsured" that end up doing medicine via bankruptcy. .. in otherwords get treatment, can't pay , end up bankrupt and the hospital, Dr's etc.. get NO payment..which then passes the cost on to the rest of us with higher prices to make up the difference. Add in the Cost of HEALTH INSURANCE that covers NON MEDICAL stuff like Lobbying to Congress AND the high paid CEO's and the shareholders slice of the pie.. boom.. savings right there! Money put INTO the system with taxes will ACTUALLY GO to healthcare rather than the other nonsense that benefits NO ONE but the profit making greedy insurance machine.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Um.. NOW you lost me.. we don't have UHI.. NOT when there are 40 plus million people uninsured and underinsured in this country. THAT is NOT a definition of UHI.. For one..
I believe the other poster was referencing Medicare as an example, a model if you will, of what UHI would look like TM

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I believe the other poster was referencing Medicare as an example, a model if you will, of what UHI would look like TM

Yes.. and it's NOT universal!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yes.. and it's NOT universal!
TM, please. If you were to read the posters comment, clearly, you would note his reference to seniors - that Medicare is a "model' as to what UHI would look like.

Please, calm down.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
TM, please. If you were to read the posters comment, clearly, you would note his reference to seniors - that Medicare is a "model' as to what UHI would look like.

Please, calm down.
GreatDay.. it will look like Medicare but with ONE BIG DIFFERENCE.. most using it will also be contributing to it.. whereas now those using it contribute nothng because they are poor. Yes.. there will still be poor, but the system willl have more money.

It's also good to note that Medicaid has managed to negotiate itself the best prices for thigns like medicines and Dr's. With a larger "use" base that power would be greater.. etc.

Administrative costs are less with medicaid.. and if we stop using medicaid through private cariers I think we can go even further to reduce that.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This is fallacious Right Wing speak.

You don't seem to believe that UHI when applied to PREVENTIVE CARE on younger Americans would have NO BENEFITS down the line? GUESS AGAIN, RUSH (and pass the OxyContin)!
I am sorry. You must have misunderstood something. I PROMOTE (professionally) preventive healthcare. I make (part of) my living promoting preventive healthcare!!!!

I never said ONE WORD about preventive healthcare, pro or con.

I will continue to write this until someone listens to what I am saying here. We HAVE UHI - both Medicare and Medicaid ARE UHI!!!

I think you have gotten my post mixed up w/ someone else's.

Fallacious "Right wing speak?" And your comment about drugs?

I am speechless. You are picking on the wrong person here, Sir.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I am sorry. You must have misunderstood something. I PROMOTE (professionally) preventive healthcare. I make (part of) my living promoting preventive healthcare!!!!

I never said ONE WORD about preventive healthcare, pro or con.

I will continue to write this until someone listens to what I am saying here. We HAVE UHI - both Medicare and Medicaid ARE UHI!!!

I think you have gotten my post mixed up w/ someone else's.

Fallacious "Right wing speak?" And your comment about drugs?

I am speechless. You are picking on the wrong person here, Sir.

UHI Stands for UNIVERSAL health care..

right now those with medicare are 65 and older..

those with medicaid are "POOR"..

left out are all the rest!

So .. it's NOT quite Universal..

Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Thank you. I have stated several times on this thread, and can point the posts out if everyone can't read for themselves, that Medicare is UHI for over age 65 population and Medicaid is UHI for indigent and children (CHIPS).

My point is - this model is in place and is in the RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies