Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 PM

924 posts, read 751,852 times

Advertisements

I'm certainly not embarrassed to be an American, but it DOES make me sad that I had to unfollow someone on a certain social media site because she was posting comments/sharing things about Donald Trump supporters and white people which I did not agree with.

This was a woman whom I'd known through church for years, she's a wonderful person, but I've lost a little respect for her for kind of having that "It's okay for me to make generalizations/assumptions about white people because I'm a woman of X ethnic background" sort of attitude.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
What? Poverty at the highest levels in 55 years, black unemployment at the highest levels in as many years, record people on food stamps, lowest opinion of America since Carter... on and on and on You call regress progress They're just upset because they thought they would have their one party government. Shows you how much they understand civics. I couldn't be happier! This feels Reagan'esque to me. Too bad it took 16 years to reject the establishment. THAT is exactly why the forefathers put the EC into place.
Reagan raised my income taxes at a time when I was a single mom raising two kids and barely squeaking by. He cut tax rates but changed brackets and eliminated deductions for the middle class, as a result I ended up tossing a coin to decide whether to pay the utility bill on time or buy the kids shoes. I kept waiting for the trickle down but it never came. Don't tell me about Reaganesque you clearly have no idea of the damage he did or you wouldn't say that.
  • Reagan used the SS trust fund like it was his own personal piggy bank
  • Sold arms to Iran
  • Opposed sanctions on apartheid South Africa
  • In 1981, the deficit was $79 billion and, in 1986, at the peak of his deficit spending, it stood at $221 billion. The federal debt was $994 billion when he took office in 1981 and grew to $2.9 trillion when his second term ended in 1989.
  • the famous "tax cut" of 1981 did not cut taxes at all. It's true that tax rates for higher-income brackets were cut; but for the average person, taxes rose, rather than declined.
  • Reagan Ignored the Atrocities Committed by Saddam Hussein
  • At least 138 Reagan administration officials, including several cabinet members, were investigated for, indicted for, or convicted of crimes. This is the largest number of any U.S. President. Many of them were pardoned by Reagan or President Bush before they could even stand trial.
I'm not sure how you think that represents progress, perhaps it's you who doesn't understand civics.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I'm guessing Trump will use the white house as an occasional place to spend the night when he is in DC, otherwise he will continue to live in his main home. Why would he want to downsize his living quarters?
I don't think he will have that choice with the secret service and all. He will have to be extra protected - let's face it, too many people just don't like him.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Reagan raised my income taxes at a time when I was a single mom raising two kids and barely squeaking by.
Oh please! My mom was working as a secretary at Rockwell, and when Carter gutted defense we starved for a time. Reagan saved defense, and millions of jobs.

There are a few tings I don't like about any President, but part of the pain you felt was induced by Carter.

BTW, how much were you making? His higher brackets didn't affect anyone making less than 100k, in 1980! You're premise and cut and paste economics are transparent.

Do you think young mothers are doing better now?

Stop being so one sided, it's dishonest.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Oh please! My mom was working as a secretary at Rockwell, and when Carter gutted defense we starved for a time. Reagan saved defense, and millions of jobs.
There are a few tings I don't like about any President, but part of the pain you felt was induced by Carter.
BTW, how much were you making? His higher brackets didn't affect anyone making less than 100k, in 1980! You're premise and cut and paste economics are transparent. Do you think young mothers are doing better now? Stop being so one sided, it's dishonest.
I think I made my point, Reagan's failure is indisputable...google it if you don't believe me, the information is out there, all that is required is a little intellectual curiosity.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I hope our country will survive this.
Do you need some crayons and cocoa?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 PM

36 posts, read 25,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
I was really sad Wednesday. Our country was making so much progress and now all of that is going to be washed away. Anyone who voted for Trump hates women and minorities, and that's all there is to it. I mean, it wasn't like he discussed any of his policies or how exactly he planned to make America great. The only thing he spewed was hatred. That's all. The bigots felt that they were losing their country to the 'others' and that Trump would help put white people back on top. But what they fail to realize is that ultimately he's going to hurt the entire country, not just the 'lessers.'
Your tears are so delicious! More please!

Old 11-12-2016, 05:01 AM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm certainly not embarrassed to be an American, but it DOES make me sad that I had to unfollow someone on a certain social media site because she was posting comments/sharing things about Donald Trump supporters and white people which I did not agree with.

This was a woman whom I'd known through church for years, she's a wonderful person, but I've lost a little respect for her for kind of having that "It's okay for me to make generalizations/assumptions about white people because I'm a woman of X ethnic background" sort of attitude.
Oh yes, White people, especially Trump supporters just have it so hard.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 AM

79 posts, read 104,364 times
Hey OP if you don't like it pack your bags and move to Spain or Jupiter

Old 11-12-2016, 05:41 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
You gotta love some of the intelligent posts on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies