Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 09:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
A friends teenager broke his arm and went to the ER in AZ and all they did was splint it (stabalize) and send him away since he couldn't pay.

Took him months and his arm had to eventually be rebroken - and he will never have full use of it due to the abysmal health care.

Those without insurance and the ability to self pay often do not receive the same level of care as those who are insured or have the ability to self pay.

ERs are required by law to stabilize. Nothing more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 AM

39,064 posts, read 51,175,212 times
Health care stocks rose 3% today. Guess why? Insurers and big pharma has been given free access to your bank accounts. What is good for them is NOT good for you. No more 20% limit on profits. The sky is the limit now.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Obamacare is $hit. Many people have still had to do without insurance because they still couldn't afford it, and too many retirement-age people are still working because they have to. It was a p-ss-poor plan that had never had a cost control established, nor did it do a thing to lower the charges of actual medical care.

During the Bush years, Congress twice denied Medicare the ability to regulate the price of prescription medications, meaning the government would pay more than it otherwise would need to do. This gets particularly interesting given that Congress approved Medicare Part D and did so knowing full well it was going to cost more than premiums and that come 2011, 10,000 people a day would begin to turn 65 and be eligible for Medicare.

The US and international Big Pharmaceutical lobbies were pleased as punch that Congress chose their interests over that of the people and the federal government.

Ireland is one of the largest manufacturers and exporters of prescription medications in the world. Canada pays $X while the US pays multiples of $X. The US could buy the same product from Canada, with mark-ups, for less than it pays to Ireland.

Go figure.

Let me know when Congress is willing to regulate the cost of healthcare, including medications.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:53 AM

19,001 posts, read 14,178,621 times
Repeal Obamacare - great.
Abolish health insurance - even better.
(Why should we tolerate another layer of parasites getting rich off the patient?)
. . .
Inflated costs are the fault of government.
Get government entirely out of healthcare.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,219,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Health care stocks rose 3% today. Guess why? Insurers and big pharma has been given free access to your bank accounts. What is good for them is NOT good for you. No more 20% limit on profits. The sky is the limit now.
Says who? Are you projecting due to your sense of loss?

If anything Trump may open up markets further to drive down cost, like selling across state lines and importing drugs from Canada. He has no loyalty or bias to either the Democrat or Republican policy positions.

Market performance is based upon perception rather than reality. Let's see what happens before turning into Chicken Little.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,063,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Obamacare is gone for sure. Look, it was too expensive. It needed reform. But instead of reform, millions of Americans will now lose coverage. What a shame.
Yes, and I am one of them. Oh, well, I had healthcare for a few years anyway. Now I'll be back to hoping and praying I don't get sick. As will millions of other Americans. I wonder about all of the people who got healthcare under expanded Medicaid. Will they all get thrown out, too?

Dark days ahead for many of us.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,326,429 times
It is improbable that Obamacare will simply be repealed. The problem with Obama care is actuarial. The assumptions made about how sick the ACA patients would be was wrong. The mix proved much sicker and more expensive than expected. And the penalties for not having insurance were insufficient to create the vast number of well patients needed to make the insurance pool work at reasonable cost.

The Republicans will find it pretty difficult to simply dump the ACA. The democrats and some Republicans will block any such legislation in the Senate. So they have to come up with some alternate that embodies the important features of the ACA. That will prove very difficult as it is the features that drive the cost of ACA.

I would think a vast grid lock situation. May go on for years. And Trump and the Republicans will in time take a beating for their inability to solve the problem.

Things like ACA have always had the property that you can never go back. You can go at it differently...but you can never go back.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Banks stocks and Wall Street are swooning over the Trump win.

He intends , with the approval of Congress, to repeal Dodd- Frank. This is the seriously compromised banking regulation that followed the big melt down in 2008.

Let's ignore that Trump owes $ billions to the banks, the same banks that will benefit from relaxed regulation.

I did not intend to vote for president yesterday because both Nominees have unprecedented conflicts of interest. When I hit the voting booth I changed my mind and voted for Trump. I did so because it's time to turn over the reigns to a Republican President with a Republican majority in both chambers and because frankly, I did not want 4 years of gridlock on all cabinet and SCOTUS confirmations and attempts to impeach to overshadow all else.

Trump has repeatedly promised to not let 325 million people down. Alrighty, then. There are no more excuses.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,548,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is improbable that Obamacare will simply be repealed. The problem with Obama care is actuarial. The assumptions made about how sick the ACA patients would be was wrong. The mix proved much sicker and more expensive than expected. And the penalties for not having insurance were insufficient to create the vast number of well patients needed to make the insurance pool work at reasonable cost.

The Republicans will find it pretty difficult to simply dump the ACA. The democrats and some Republicans will block any such legislation in the Senate. So they have to come up with some alternate that embodies the important features of the ACA. That will prove very difficult as it is the features that drive the cost of ACA.

I would think a vast grid lock situation. May go on for years. And Trump and the Republicans will in time take a beating for their inability to solve the problem.

Things like ACA have always had the property that you can never go back. You can go at it differently...but you can never go back.
Unfortunately for that idea, the republicans have a majority now in both houses and the executive to boot...

So people like me, earning well in NY will continue to get good private healthcare. The people at the bottom of the heap will get screwed. Not good for the country as a whole.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:12 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,545,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but if Trumpy is the Pres Elect, say goodbye to Obamacare.

Now maybe we can get some real medical care.
They should just reform it not get rid of it . Are they really going to let the insurance companies go back to refusing to accept anyone with pre existing conditions and taking the caps off the amount people must pay, forcing families into bankruptcy when they can't afford their huge medical bills? I read that Romney care in Massachusetts was a success maybe they should get him back to make some needed changes to Obamacare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies