Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

It will be weird walking down the street in Santa Monica and Venice Beach smelling the overwhelming aroma of pot.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/heavy.com...n-results/amp/

Perhaps those crybaby celebs could leave the country without leaving the country as we now know it?
Look at that,
now secession is for cry babies?
Didn't hear say that when Texas Republicans wanted to secede

Old 11-09-2016, 12:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay.

No, I don't think that's likely.
Okay.
Quote:
...it's very unlikely that any one state would decide, as a whole (or at least a majority), to secede...
I agree. Texas and California are probably the only ones even worth mentioning. It's unlikely. It would be almost impossible for it to succeed.

But an effort, a petition, a groundswell, a Twitter trend? I think those are not unlikely. People are *furious.* This is *unthinkable.*

Incidentally, Texas could split (not that it ever would): The Five States of Texas
Quote:
Literally your own head. Right?
Ehhm, yes of course. Perhaps much like you seem to think 0% could ever entertain the thought, and the truth is probably somewhere in between us.
Quote:
How on earth does a few people's slanted imaginings constitute proof of left-wing nuttery or what-have-you?
Well, I didn't use the word nutter or nuttery. Well actually I called my sister a crunchy nut, a charge she would likely own proudly. But I frankly think it's possible to take a charitable view of thoughts about secession as a partially rational defense mechanism at this point in time. Anyway, I'm not a right-winger or a Republican and I didn't support Trump or vote for him, just as an aside.
Quote:
Your sister lives two towns away from me and is representative of exactly zero people I know personally, LOL.
Oh okay. She's pretty typical of the people she knows and socializes with there, anyway.
Quote:
As for the veganism specifically, I know exactly one right now. She lives in New Jersey.
So? I have lived in North Texas since age 6 (I'm 42) and I've known about two dozen people who lived vegan for at least a while -- I myself was vegan in 2001 and 2002. I know about five vegans who live here now. Nothing wrong with it, really -- I only object to her insistence that her children be vegan too, because I think it's a decision they should make once their bodies are done growing and their minds have matured. But her inflicted veganism and her devout California-ness do appear to go hand-in-hand to me and to several of the rest of her family. Your mileage may vary.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/heavy.com...n-results/amp/

Perhaps those crybaby celebs could leave the country without leaving the country as we now know it?
After Obama was elected to his second term national anger from his presidency caused secession petitions to be set up in all fifty states, "with six (Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Texas) reaching the 25,000 e-signature threshold. The Texas succession e-petition ultimately received the most e-signatures, almost 126,000."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_s..._for_secession

With the way republicans speak of state rights, individualism, liberty, and freedom one would think republicans would admire these desires for secession.

Personally I would not mind states succeeding whether they are democrat or republican. Our federal government has become totally stagnant, inefficient, and bloated, and states that succeeded could create new and vibrant governments and fully explore conservative and liberal philosophies.

We could all learn things from those states and then enact their policies that were successful. And if those states should desire to become part of America again they could just petition to be brought back in.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Damn, man. I had peanuts and a nutri-grain breakfast bar for lunch...

Looks tasty.
I had granola, hand-rolled on the backs of willing, non-coerced unicorns and glued together with virgin mermaid tears.

Okay, I freakin' lied, I just had a giant egg salad.

It was good. And nothing had to be killed in order for me to eat it, unless you take the conservative definition of "killed," in which the unfertilized egg was the living, vibrant, viable one-half of a future chick who may have one day discovered cancer but tragically, now never will.

But anyway, yeah. It was tasty.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

Perhaps much like you seem to think 0% could ever entertain the thought, and the truth is probably somewhere in between us.
Uh, in what world does "a minority" equal 0%?

Since what I said, I believe more than once, was, a minority.

You are still making up your own stats to fit your own agenda.

Much as that bugs me, I must admit you are hitting the GOP SOP out of the ballpark today. I guess I must grudgingly admire that. So kudos for consistency.

Quote:
Well, I didn't use the word nutter or nuttery. Well actually I called my sister a crunchy nut
Oh, okay. LOL. Thanks for the clarification. p.s. You're right! It's okay to call someone names if the person LIKES it. #CantMakeThisStuffUp

p.s. Did you read the links above about secession petitions on the part of NON-left-wing nutters in prior times? This subject seems to interest you quite a bit so I thought you'd appreciate the heads-up. By the way, those include actual numbers, which I found helpful, personally. This way we're not literally just making --- up out of nowhere. Helpful.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Since what I said, I believe more than once, was, a minority.
I said 30% tops, I believe, which is also a minority.
Quote:
...your own agenda...
I literally have none. Just observing.
Quote:
...GOP SOP...
I don't know what SOP is. I'm not nor have I ever been associated with the GOP. But I get accused regularly of either being a left-winger or a right-winger so whatever. Sign of the times.
Quote:
You're right! It's okay to call someone names if the person LIKES it.
You have to own it. I get called names all the time. Doesn't hurt me. Besides, the 'crunchy nut' thing is not really political, or at least it doesn't really relate to Presidential politics. It's like saying someone is "granola" or something.
Quote:
p.s. Did you read the links above about secession petitions on the part of NON-left-wing nutters in prior times?
Yes. So? I was aware of those then and I mentioned at least pondering or petitioning for secession probably isn't an altogether irrational response in times of cognitive dissonance.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:24 PM

Noticed this thread in the "Elections" forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...rnia-call.html

Old 11-09-2016, 04:53 PM

And here's an article:

Tech founders want California to secede after Trump win

Old 11-09-2016, 05:01 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Trump's win just keeps getting sweeter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies