Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

What absolutely infuriates me is how the hell did Debbie W-Shultz get re-elected to her seat when it was mainly because of HER actions, the Democrats lost?

I guess corruption really does pay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 10:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
What absolutely infuriates me is how the hell did Debbie W-Shultz get re-elected to her seat when it was mainly because of HER actions, the Democrats lost?

I guess corruption really does pay off.
If either party cared they would clean house. They don't. Trump would tell Ryan and McConnell to step down as it was time for new leadership and the (D)'s would jettison DWS and the rest of the DNC that created the atmosphere that caused them to lose.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
I've been saying for years, we need term limits in Congress.

I know, I know... not going to happen since it is Congress that will have to get that passed.

We are so screwed sometimes And we do our own screwing

Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
As the minority party, now without even the Presidency, they should show some fight and obstruct the Republican agenda and Presidential appointments in the same way that the Republicans did. A persistent effort for at least the next 4 years (Republicans were able to do it for 8).
The Republicans rebounded from their crisis after the Bush presidency by re-building their party from the bottom up. It started with the Tea Party, then local efforts, getting power in state legislatures, then congress, and now the presidency. The Democrats need to emulate that strategy. Our problem is that we always try to do things top-down, and you need to do bottom-up to get voters to buy in.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Republicans rebounded from their crisis after the Bush presidency by re-building their party from the bottom up.
They didn't gain power back because of them, they gained power back because of Obama.

Quote:
It started with the Tea Party, then local efforts, getting power in state legislatures, then congress, and now the presidency. The Democrats need to emulate that strategy. Our problem is that we always try to do things top-down, and you need to do bottom-up to get voters to buy in.
The Tea Party along with Trump was condemned by the Republican Party in large parts. They are currently in power despite themselves.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:47 AM

490 posts, read 837,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The Republicans rebounded from their crisis after the Bush presidency by re-building their party from the bottom up. It started with the Tea Party, then local efforts, getting power in state legislatures, then congress, and now the presidency. The Democrats need to emulate that strategy. Our problem is that we always try to do things top-down, and you need to do bottom-up to get voters to buy in.
I disagree that the Republicans rebounded and have rebuilt from bottom up. I think it was still a fractured party prior to Trump winning. The Republicans had the same issue as the Democrats: elite, pro-establishment "representatives" exploiting the motivations of their constituents in order to get them to act in the desired way (i.e. they knew what buttons to push to get the turnouts they needed, by saying whatever was needed at the time to achieve that goal). Eventually, the voters got pissed and stopped listening to them and what they had to say... Then along comes Trump and the Republicans have control of all 3 branches of government, without much in their way now. Unity or the appearance of unity is easy to come by when things miraculously start going your way, against the odds. But I don't think the underlying issues really got resolved or that there was any true rebuilding of the party from the ground up.

As for the Dems.. They deserve the outcome that they got. They do need to rebuild.. decide what they want to do and what they stand for.. grow a backbone and some integrity to stay true to that.. unfortunately, this election was quite consequential (something true out of Hillary Clinton's mouth), and the ones that will pay the biggest price are the citizens. Even they are to blame to some extent by not coming out to vote in high enough numbers.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
I disagree that the Republicans rebounded and have rebuilt from bottom up. I think it was still a fractured party prior to Trump winning. The Republicans had the same issue as the Democrats: elite, pro-establishment "representatives" exploiting the motivations of their constituents in order to get them to act in the desired way (i.e. they knew what buttons to push to get the turnouts they needed, by saying whatever was needed at the time to achieve that goal). Eventually, the voters got pissed and stopped listening to them and what they had to say... Then along comes Trump and the Republicans have control of all 3 branches of government, without much in their way now. Unity or the appearance of unity is easy to come by when things miraculously start going your way, against the odds. But I don't think the underlying issues really got resolved or that there was any true rebuilding of the party from the ground up.
I agree. They won despite the party. Trump really wasn't a part of the party. They did their best to undermine him all along. IMO if they had won with a party favorite the outcome most certainly might not have been the same. Even then they would have won not because of party but because the (D)'s nominee was a despicably corrupt individual.

IMO Sanders would have beat any candidate the GOP had put up. Biden most likely would have.

Quote:
As for the Dems.. They deserve the outcome that they got. They do need to rebuild.. decide what they want to do and what they stand for.. grow a backbone and some integrity to stay true to that.. unfortunately, this election was quite consequential (something true out of Hillary Clinton's mouth), and the ones that will pay the biggest price are the citizens. Even they are to blame to some extent by not coming out to vote in high enough numbers.
I believe what the citizens are responsible for is NOT holding Obama to the standards they claim to represent. Obama was a war mongering, wall street suck up. Why no one held him accountable is quite a mystery to me.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:06 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Honestly, both parties need to get back to reaching out and helping the people of America and stop obsessing about sideshow causes. The American people want jobs and prosperity a lot more than they want to punish a wedding cake designer for not making a gay wedding cake. Most have an opinion on abortion, but are a lot more interested in getting back to providing for their families. Opinions vary hugely about global warming and alternative fuels and clean power, but the vast vast majority are a lot more interested in a smaller price tag at the pump or when their electrical bill comes in. If someone can deliver lower prices with clean technology, the thing that actually sells it is the lower prices. People hear about German and Swedish girls getting raped by Syrian and North African Muslim refugees and want absolutely nothing to do with an influx of such people, not because they're bad people but because they don't want to be victims as well. Most Americans are sick to death of the constant overuse of the racism card, or the bigotry card, etc. They just want their lives, communities and schools to improve. Hillary didn't resonate with those realities. Trump did with just enough people to win it.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't vote for Hillary. I would have voted for Bernie (and did in the primaries). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Same story here. Voted Bernie in the primaries, was disgusted by the DNC and HRC. Voted Johnson for the 5% threshold.

Hillarys whole message was that "sure you don't like me, but you should be afraid of Boogeyman!"

People are sincerely looking over two huge pieces Bernie has over Clinton. Rural Whites and College Student enthusiasm. Rural whites would run counter into Trumps primary demographic. Hillary was blown away by Bernie in these areas, and in her hubris, instead of assessing how to fix it, called them deplorable and ignored them hoping for the unreliable Hispanic vote.

In AZ I can tell you about that unreliable Hispanic vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies