Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:02 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, the answer has been "no." But in my view Ryan does not have to be voted out of Congress, just moved out of his position. Without term limits member of Congress will stay there forever, and the longer they are there the more crooked and powerful they become.
We in AZ just happily voted again for McCain. He's been there so long, most voters aren't old enough to know or remember when he was crooked! (lol)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We in AZ just happily voted again for McCain. He's been there so long, most voters aren't old enough to know or remember when he was crooked! (lol)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
Speak for yourself, I voted for Kirkpatrick, and am dismayed that 80 year old McCain is going to serve another 6 year term, there is a 50/50 shot he dies in office before his term is out

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
See you liberals are a lost cause. You just throw out baseless insults and there's no bridge building with them whatsoever.
You seem very sensitive and throw in the towel so easily. I said nothing of the sort. Sessions is not a friend towards labor. If you knew, I mean really knew, Sessions is your typical Republican who is anti-labor. But he speaks towards your sensibilities as a working class white male and seems like he's on your side. He isn't. My senator Pat Toomey is the same, Mr. I want TPP passed.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 AM

35 posts, read 31,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You really ought to let them be. They don't care. They truly believe Trump is going to deport, incarcerate and stomp on every non-white inhabitant so that he can take care of the white folks.

Pence never has done anything but abortion. He's an expendable flunkie to keep the religious whack-a-doodles distracted. McConnell and Ryan are on Trumps's "enemies list"-they're on borrowed time.

Trump doesn't even know how he's going to deliver everything he promised because his plans were incoherent.

There will be a honeymoon for a while, and when the "good" jobs don't materialize he'll blame Obama and the media. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Worry about yourself and yours in case he defaults. Protect your money
My sentiments exactly!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's not a matter of if, but when. You have Trump who is what Democrats sort of used to be economically speaking, but he is surrounded LITERALLY by the same people who have been around for AGES. Pence, Ryan, McConnell, the 3 people closest to Trump, power wise, are the definition of establishment GOP. Let's see who is Cabinet appointments are. If they turn out to be corporate goons like past Republicans, then I'm gonna say it now, I told you so. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Considering who he is surrounded by at this time, who holds the legislative cards, it's gonna take a miracle for Trump to do everything he wants. Then you guys will know what consistent disappointment is like us Bernie supporters do, us real Democrats who care about economic issues and not the culture wars like the Berkeley and Ivory Tower Democrats
Considering how blatantly wrong you have been over the past 18 months, I'll pass on worrying about your latest prediction.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
They haven't figured this out yet . They are convinced they have elected the next Reagan .
...and Reagan helped sell their jobs out so that Wall St could profit..but he waved a flag in their face and invaded Grenada, so it was okay. Their problems were really about "welfare queens" in inner cities and liberal wimps, not Wall St making obscene profits moving their jobs out.

Thirty years later, and things are worse in the rust belt, not better.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:09 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
You have some Trumpies trolling my topic about Hillary winning, when the joke's gonna be on them in the end when the GOP sticks the middle finger up at Trump and his supporters. The establishment won. Again. Like they have been since FDR died. Trump is just a front, a baby's pacifier. How the hell does anybody think anything will get better if the SAME people from before Trump are back? Reality will set in sooner or later.

Like Danny Glover's character in Shooter says, "You lose, again. Get used to the idea, son"
Trump, like many in the upper reaches of business doesn't understand the aggregate political game. A long time CEO and a person known for seldom utilizing a team approach to his business decisions isn't capable of processing the truth of a huge machine that exists only for it's own interests and those of it's supporters. I'm thinking he will be looked at by both parties as an outlier and as a bit of a naive buffoon to boot. He will have to surround himself with the typical political insulation of old line party "pros" and the party will move forward acting on their agenda, he is incidental to the plan, like most of the official "faces" of American politics.

This election really gets to the heart of the biggest problem we face as American citizens, and that is the glaring lack of understanding our own political system. Voting in a president is most likely the full extent of most voters participation in politics, local or national, that one single act becomes the mainstay of their call to action. In between the elections the elected are busy working on getting re-elected, and the same bunch of corporate cowboys are passing out the money bags in the halls of congress. When it comes to dirty deals Trump should feel at home, but he's not used to being on the wrong end of those deals and that will be his real comeuppance.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
You have some Trumpies trolling my topic about Hillary winning, when the joke's gonna be on them in the end when the GOP sticks the middle finger up at Trump and his supporters. The establishment won. Again. Like they have been since FDR died. Trump is just a front, a baby's pacifier. How the hell does anybody think anything will get better if the SAME people from before Trump are back? Reality will set in sooner or later.

Like Danny Glover's character in Shooter says, "You lose, again. Get used to the idea, son"
Relying on any president/ government to determine your personal outcome is not likely to have a good long term outcome.

No shortage of people who blame their lot in life on the president, party and government.

Instead of building wealth, they spend their disposable income on fancy coffees, lottery tickets, drugs, alcohol, gaming and buying crap they don't need on credit to feel better about themselves in the moment.

On the flip side, gawd only knows what would happen to the economy if a super majority turned to saving instead of spending on foolish stuff.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Trump, like many in the upper reaches of business doesn't understand the aggregate political game. A long time CEO and a person known for seldom utilizing a team approach to his business decisions isn't capable of processing the truth of a huge machine that exists only for it's own interests and those of it's supporters. I'm thinking he will be looked at by both parties as an outlier and as a bit of a naive buffoon to boot. He will have to surround himself with the typical political insulation of old line party "pros" and the party will move forward acting on their agenda, he is incidental to the plan, like most of the official "faces" of American politics.

This election really gets to the heart of the biggest problem we face as American citizens, and that is the glaring lack of understanding our own political system. Voting in a president is most likely the full extent of most voters participation in politics, local or national, that one single act becomes the mainstay of their call to action. In between the elections the elected are busy working on getting re-elected, and the same bunch of corporate cowboys are passing out the money bags in the halls of congress. When it comes to dirty deals Trump should feel at home, but he's not used to being on the wrong end of those deals and that will be his real comeuppance.
For your amusement:

My Bloomberg column on Trumponomics - Marginal REVOLUTION

Old 11-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Relying on any president/ government to determine your personal outcome is not likely to have a good long term outcome.

No shortage of people who blame their lot in life on the president, party and government.

Instead of building wealth, they spend their disposable income on fancy coffees, lottery tickets, drugs, alcohol, gaming and buying crap they don't need on credit to feel better about themselves in the moment.

On the flip side, gawd only knows what would happen to the economy if a super majority turned to saving instead of spending on foolish stuff.
I'm no gawd, but I'd say our economy would head south. Retirement would be easier for more people. And then the economy would pick back up as all those 'rich' retirees spend it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies