Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:00 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,542,494 times

Advertisements

My prediction is that Trump will cause an unprecedented coalition to form in Congress, between Republicans and Democrats. Don't overlook the fact that many of those Republicans who will serve in Congress, openly and emphatically opposed Trump. I don't think they will give him everything he wants in measures they will pass. If they gave him legislation to carry out many of the threats he made during the campaign, they would pay the price and risk defeat during the elections in two years, as individuals and as a party.

So if the Republican Majorities stand up to Trump and give him only legislation that they really want themselves, he will do what Obama has had to do and start issuing executive orders. But if these orders are seen by Congress as bad for the nation and their party, they can stop them, by passing measures that specifically block them, unless they involve carrying out a power granted the President by the Constitution.

Of course, Trump would veto such a blocking measure and that is where the coalition would come in. By granting some concessions to the Democrats in Congress, they might be persuaded to form temporary coalitions for the purpose of having the two-thirds majority needed to block all or parts of an executive order. And if the President vetoes a measure passed by Congress and enough of the Democrats like it, the coalition could again be put to work.

The Democrats wouldn't likely do this against a president of their own party, but after Trump takes office, they would have no such restriction. They could get some things they wanted and by working together, Congress could operate more smoothly, for the benefit of all, except for that one person. The Congressional Democrats would be helping their nation, as well as serving their own interests, by doing this. I don't think that any reasonable member of their own party would fault them for it.

Most presidents for the past 84 years have expanded the power of that office. But a united congress could reverse that and seize more power for itself. There are a few things that only a president can do, but most actions required for running the country could be done without the involvement of a president, by a congress that had a two-thirds majority working together. If in fact, hard conflict develops between Congress and the President, this might be the only solution.

Perhaps Trump and his advisors are shrewd enough to anticipate such a reaction in Congress and he'll practice what for him, will be good behavior. If he alienated Congress from the beginning, it might be hard to patch up relations and cooperation later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 PM

68,285 posts, read 54,094,268 times
Considering how many Republicans openly shunned Trump when he was nominated and how many crusty old Congressmen are likely to not take kindly to someone from outside their realm, I think you're dreaming.

Last edited by burdell; 11-09-2016 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-09-2016, 09:07 PM

45,040 posts, read 26,196,433 times
I hope not. Innefective govt is as good as govt gets.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I hope not. Innefective govt is as good as govt gets.

Yeah, that's why we're not all speaking German and Japanese now.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:15 PM

45,040 posts, read 26,196,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, that's why we're not all speaking German and Japanese now.
neither Germany or Japan ever had the resources to attack mainland US

Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
neither Germany or Japan ever had the resources to attack mainland US
They may well have had the government (along with it seems everything else) you so despise hadn't destroyed so much of their industrial capacity.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 PM

25,384 posts, read 17,039,663 times
I think congress will unite.
And how could it be otherwise? Both houses will be led by Republicans.

Trump will ask for what he needs; congress will deliver; he will sign. Call it unification if you like.
I can't think of what congress might deliver that Trump would NOT sign. Might be something, but I don't know what.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 PM

409 posts, read 257,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Considering how many Republicans openly shunned Trump when he was nominated and how many crusty old Congressmen are likely to not take kindly to someone from outside their realm, I think you're dreaming.
They only shunned him because they thought he would lose and take them all down with him. Now that he's crushed the blue wall and saved the senate and supreme court he's going to be the new Reagan.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
They only shunned him because they thought he would lose and take them all down with him. Now that he's crushed the blue wall and saved the senate and supreme court he's going to be the new Reagan.

Don't Bogart that joint my friend ...........................................

Old 11-09-2016, 09:38 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,425,661 times
Trump bucking congress would be just what the doctor ordered. Would force democrats and republicans to work together. Democrats and republicans working together was a recipe for success in the 90s and could be again.

We don't need a nation led by ideology. We need a nation devoted not to determining who gets a bigger slice of the pie, but to baking a bigger pie so everyone gets a bigger slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies