Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times

Advertisements

name 5 people who know where "Pelham NC" is.
worry about a group purported to have 150-200 people
not be able to realize that one site reports on this, and myriad other places with websites copy the story

Also, forget this, from the LA Times:

Quote:
The Trump campaign was criticized this year for initially refusing to denounce support from the Klan. Later, the campaign described the Klan's efforts as "repulsive."
of course, one Klan leader flopped from Trump to HRC way back in March ...

Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon Will Quigg Endorses Hillary Clinton for President | Politics | US News

and she didn't immediately denounce him....

but wait, the KK and its powerful political machine was wotrking to get out the vote, if you REALLY believe HuffPo...

The KKK Is Working To Get Out The Vote -- For Donald Trump, Of Course | The Huffington Post

and it's obvious that mlhm does.

go back and read this article...

Donald Trump stumbles on David Duke, KKK - CNNPolitics.com

if people really want to raise Cain over a single question asked on the spot that he half-answered, but failed within that answer to say "I denounce the KKK" then you're just going to torture yourself psychologically for 4 years. It was a dustup that was settled within a matter of hours on Sunday Feb 28.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:05 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Pelham is a teeny unincorporated community in Caswell County, just inside the NC line below Danville, VA.
Yep. It's nothing more than a zip code just a stones' throw away from the armpit of VA. It's fitting that they're close together...

Old 11-12-2016, 07:14 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
The KKK has not been relevent for a very long time! Why give them any press?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
The KKK has not been relevent for a very long time! Why give them any press?
Those looking for evidence to reinforce their narrative. For every Klan member making statements, there are 100 leftist extremists tweeting about assassination

Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
KKK shouldn't be ignored by those in public eye and influence. They themselves may not be relevant but the tone set by those of influence (President being one) can validate and incite the actions of extremists. Ignoring KKK and the like contributes to the tone of tolerance to such groups.

Will Quigg endorsement hit in mid March and was rejected by a Clinton spokesperson in April. More than likely just looking for publicity and the media outlet was stupid enough to give it to him.

KKK Endorses Hillary Clinton : snopes.com

vulfpeck is right.... these groups (whether for HC or Trump) is simply looking to reinforce their narrative. Whether or not Trump actually supports them or not is not relevant. He is placed (albeit maybe unwittingly) into a position validating their causes.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
IMO, things were said in this election that cannot be unsaid which has normalized and encouraged bigotry, racism, and misogyny, and caused the KKK and white nationalists to feel emboldened.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:20 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
IMO, things were said in this election that cannot be unsaid which has normalized and encouraged bigotry, racism, and misogyny, and caused the KKK and white nationalists to feel emboldened.
Yes, no doubt. But liberal bigots have been far more emboldened

I've lived here my whole life and Klan events have been publicized every year or two. They're unfortunate, but not nearly as dangerous as an angry mob burning cars and blocking roads because they disagree with a legitimate election

Old 11-12-2016, 05:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Yes, no doubt. But liberal bigots have been far more emboldened

I've lived here my whole life and Klan events have been publicized every year or two. They're unfortunate, but not nearly as dangerous as an angry mob burning cars and blocking roads because they disagree with a legitimate election
Uh, those aren't instances of bigotry (the crowds are very diverse) and the protests they will eventually calm down. However, I have a feeling we'll be hearing about more actual instances of bigotry for at least a couple more weeks--or until Trump supporters realize that Trump never really planned to implement most of his popular proposals. He's already started walking some of them back.

But I'm starting to get an idea here of how some people in the 50's and 60's rationalized racial violence.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:41 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
This rally's international coverage makes it a much bigger deal than it would normally be.

Personally, I'll be there counterprotesting. If anything just to have my say while they are having theirs. Won't change a thing, but more than a few friends of mine think that Trump's NC win plus the klan rally here = the entire state is racist. It's maddening.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Anyone surprised?

Snopes says it's real and not a joke

https://goo.gl/L6CD9M
Of course you would post up this trash. FYI most people don't care what the Kkk is doing but obviously you find it important to broadcast their news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies