Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

He will be 79 going on 80. I don't see how he could successfully run for President at that age.

The Democrats will need a younger version of Bernie Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Interesting read, thank you for posting this and breaking it down. I learned a lot. I will probably use this to reference back time to time and see where he gets

Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 11,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Everything you say is speculation. All we ever wanted was a President that appears to work for US. Remember Obama and 'change' - show us what he has done for the US? You would not have half the voters voting for Trump if he simply did his job! He did not even save his home town; people get shot all the time and poverty is everywhere.

Whether Trump succeeds or fails is almost irrelevant - as long as he tries. We know that he will put in long work days; he is not afraid of work. We are not the stupid deplorables described by the left; we know when somebody works for us and when they work to line their own pockets - the left never understood the difference!

Your statement "appears to work for US" reminds me of Reagan. He "appeared" to work for us, but in reality the policies of the Reagan administration undid all the good things that made America what it was up to that point. Read "The Man Who Sold the World" by William Kleinknecht for the scoop on what really happened during the Reagan years. Below is a blurb about the book from Goodreads. I postulate in four years or eight years, you'll be able to replace the word "Reagan" with "Trump." Another empty suit telling the gullible what they want to hear while the hired thugs of the wealthy manipulate everything in their favor behind the scenes. Unfortunately, the public rarely digs deeper than the sound bytes they hear on tv or see on the web, you have to look at the actual legislation passed, and most people in today's Twitter world can barely get past 140 characters of mindless drivel. Hmmm, by design maybe???

-------

"Since Ronald Reagan left office—and particularly after his death—his shadow has loomed large over American politics: Republicans and many Democrats have waxed nostalgic, extolling the Republican tradition he embodied, the optimism he espoused, and his abilities as a communicator.This carefully calibrated image is complete fiction, argues award-winning journalist William Kleinknecht. The Reagan presidency was epoch shattering, but not—as his propagandists would have it—because it invigorated private enterprise or made America feel strong again. His real legacy was the dismantling of an eight-decade period of reform in which working people were given an unprecedented sway over our politics, our economy, and our culture. Reagan halted this almost overnight.

In the tradition of Thomas Frank’s What’s the Matter with Kansas?, Kleinknecht explores middle America—starting with Reagan’s hometown of Dixon, Illinois—and shows that as the Reagan legend grows, his true legacy continues to decimate middle America."

Last edited by karhuguide; 11-10-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Everything you say is speculation. All we ever wanted was a President that appears to work for US. Remember Obama and 'change' - show us what he has done for the US? You would not have half the voters voting for Trump if he simply did his job! He did not even save his home town; people get shot all the time and poverty is everywhere.

Whether Trump succeeds or fails is almost irrelevant - as long as he tries. We know that he will put in long work days; he is not afraid of work. We are not the stupid deplorables described by the left; we know when somebody works for us and when they work to line their own pockets - the left never understood the difference!

Old 11-10-2016, 01:21 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Give the guy his first 100 days before you discount everything he said. Overall, it's a lot more to accomplish than what little Hillary accomplished in her 30 years as a politician. Everybody said that he had no chance of winning the presidency, yet he did, can he accomplish all of those items in his first 100 days? He will.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:24 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
The 100 days hasn't started but there is already some good news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...labor-leaders/

This is why that even though I did not vote for Trump I had at least some belief that some good will come about.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:50 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What the (D) party did wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...inton-liberals

It's IMO pretty spot on.
+1

The only bone I would pick with the author is that he makes it sound like the dem leaders made a "bad choice" when in reality it was the Clintons power within the organization where they basically took over the nomination like an internal coup and also used their people\influence to cheat Sanders out of a fair chance at the nomination as well. I can only imagine what they did behind the scenes to make sure no one seriously challenged them or gave much money to fun a rivals campaign etc.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
2 1/2 months as POTUS-Elect and 100 days in office seem like a fair term for his first report card.

Let's see what he's done at that time.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
+1

The only bone I would pick with the author is that he makes it sound like the dem leaders made a "bad choice" when in reality it was the Clintons power within the organization where they basically took over the nomination like an internal coup and also used their people\influence to cheat Sanders out of a fair chance at the nomination as well. I can only imagine what they did behind the scenes to make sure no one seriously challenged them or gave much money to fun a rivals campaign etc.
I would hope that the party overall did not know what was going on behind the scenes.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i agree that may of the things trump has proposed wont come to pass, and i think that his followers know this. but also realize that many of the things trump has proposed, while they will cause initial pain, they are necessary to fix problems in this country. you ask why this is, the answer is that these problems have been created over a number of decades, and they wont go away quickly and easily. we are going to have to go through a rough patch before things get better.

sorry but the medicine might taste bad, but in the long run it is a healing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies