Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
If you got education, you shouldn't feel bad. Not everything in life is about money. You gained something that others don't have.
Right, I agree but at the same time the notion is usually that the person who earned the impractical liberal arts degree and is living with roommates in a small apt in a major city with a high COL turns his nose up at the guy who learned a trade, a valuable skill, and is making more money, owns his home, probably some land or property, has a family, a big truck, etc. all because he lives in "Podunk, USA" and votes Trump. I mean the narcissism from some liberal is too much. This election was about reality as much as a conflict of visions.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 11-10-2016 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
If you got education, you shouldn't feel bad. Not everything in life is about money. You gained something that others don't have.

Sounds great until you have to make a mortgage payment. Hopefully that person is happy with their choices and the career path he took.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The far right will overreach and think this is a mandate to ram through anti-gay, anti choice legislation.

The trickle downers will view this as an excuse to cut taxes on rich people and thumb their noses at the same rust belters who voted in trump. No factories will come back to Ohio.

The simple fact is that Democrats did not show up to vote. This idea of this up-swell of angry white people is a fallacy...Trump got less votes than both Romney and McCain..so for every angry working class white person who didn't vote in 2008 or 2012, a white collar white person stayed home. The numbers are right there for anyone who wants to see reality and isn't a blind partisan.

The simple fact is that, while getting more votes than Trump by around 200K, Clinton got almost 10 million fewer votes than Obama did in 2008 and 5 million less than 2012 . Republican votes were basically flat. That is about disillusion with government and Democrats failing to deliver any change to the rust belt, not embracing right wing slash and burn ideology. But, as always, the right wing will overstep and there will be a backlash coming.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:38 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Clearly you guys won the election. The nation is divided along the lines of the coasts and big cities in them vs. the rest of the country in the middle. So what exactly do people on the coasts and big cities not understand about what's going on in the middle? Please explain without the vitriol if you can and explain exactly what politicians, especially Dem ones, are not listening to.
Michael Moore NAILED it (NSFW language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc

And he was 100% correct. Trump turned the blue states OH, WI, MI, and PA red, and that won him the election.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
There you have it fibonacci, you received a lot of great answers from posters here.

If I were to offer my example; not to long ago there was a Daily Show segment where a correspondent gathered a group of Trump supporters together in a room. He proceeded to grill them on some of the stuff Trump said which were to be fair a bit erroneous. The group still wanted Trump. He went over some other key facts which he deemed to be wrong. The group still wanted Trump. Once last try the smug reporter went over some more "racist" comments Trump made and the group was still unswayed. Why? Because the reporter was one of the most smug, arrogant, insufferably annoying looking yuppie hipster hybrids you will ever see in your life. He grilled them and mocked them and used them to prove his narrative that Trump supporters are dumb and racist and whatnot. He didn't understand and couldn't understand the looks they were giving him, the disdain they had for someone who could be that smug.

Liberals don't get that they're the reason they lost. They won't soul search, they'll just blame it on "racism" or whatnot. They treat their policy/economic ideas and social values as though they're religious doctrine and the only way to be saved is to believe them whole cloth or you're a bigot idiot who doesn't know economics and they will chide you and shame you.

Their whole game was the politics of shaming. Shaming you into voting for their core values and policy prescriptions. Middle America was just tired of it and they said no more coastal elites telling us what to think, how to feel and messing with our pocketbooks.

It's that simple.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
There you have it fibonacci, you received a lot of great answers from posters here.

If I were to offer my example; not to long ago there was a Daily Show segment where a correspondent gathered a group of Trump supporters together in a room. He proceeded to grill them on some of the stuff Trump said which were to be fair a bit erroneous. The group still wanted Trump. He went over some other key facts which he deemed to be wrong. The group still wanted Trump. Once last try the smug reporter went over some more "racist" comments Trump made and the group was still unswayed. Why? Because the reporter was one of the most smug, arrogant, insufferably annoying looking yuppie hipster hybrids you will ever see in your life. He grilled them and mocked them and used them to prove his narrative that Trump supporters are dumb and racist and whatnot. He didn't understand and couldn't understand the looks they were giving him, the disdain they had for someone who could be that smug.

Liberals don't get that they're the reason they lost. They won't soul search, they'll just blame it on "racism" or whatnot. They treat their policy/economic ideas and social values as though they're religious doctrine and the only way to be saved is to believe them whole cloth or you're a bigot idiot who doesn't know economics and they will chide you and shame you.

Their whole game was the politics of shaming. Shaming you into voting for their core values and policy prescriptions. Middle America was just tired of it and they said no more coastal elites telling us what to think, how to feel, and messing with our pocketbooks.

It's that simple.
Very astute observations. Thank you!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Clearly you guys won the election. The nation is divided along the lines of the coasts and big cities in them vs. the rest of the country in the middle. So what exactly do people on the coasts and big cities not understand about what's going on in the middle? Please explain without the vitriol if you can and explain exactly what politicians, especially Dem ones, are not listening to.
It really is very simple.

If the statue quo worked for the average American, there would have never been a Bernie Sanders, or a Donald Trump.

I read an article in Time magazine that said globalization does not benefit 80% of the population. That's a problem, and the people spoke out by electing a candidate that said he was willing to address the problem.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Well I'm in the Rust Belt and I'll tell you why Dems lost. They are concentrating way too much on culture wars, and not enough on economic issues. The Democrats are more concerned with transgenders and demonizing poor white men than actually helping them. Democrats represent the academic class now and not the labor unions or workers in general.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
I am an Asian female legal immigrant & live in the south. I feel at home & love my southerners. Its when I visit the bigger city that I start getting cold shoulders. I have friends in bigger cities who travel 2+ hr daily to work & hardly enjoy any social life. No wonder they are depressed & cranky. I can relax after work & have an active social life. Everyone around me is so polite, friendly & helpful. A lot of them moved here from big cities because they were tired of fast city life & wanted a quiet, suburban neighborhood.

When you send our jobs overseas, you are killing these peaceful suburban neighborhoods. People have to sell their homes, move to bigger cities, drive an hour to work & give up their time with their families. A lot of these small towns depend on one or 2 big businesses that support entire city. Now you are pushing these factory workers to learn new technology & start living in crowded cities. They hate that busy lifestyle & cramped up spaces.

I might be wrong but this is what I understand from my experience. I am an Engineer & I can easily find a job in a much bigger town but I choose simple lifestyle & friendly neighbors.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I am an Asian female legal immigrant & live in the south. I feel at home & love my southerners. Its when I visit the bigger city that I start getting cold shoulders. I have friends in bigger cities who travel 2+ hr daily to work & hardly enjoy any social life. No wonder they are depressed & cranky. I can relax after work & have an active social life. Everyone around me is so polite, friendly & helpful. A lot of them moved here from big cities because they were tired of fast city life & wanted a quiet, suburban neighborhood.

When you send our jobs overseas, you are killing these peaceful suburban neighborhoods. People have to sell their homes, move to bigger cities, drive an hour to work & give up their time with their families. A lot of these small towns depend on one or 2 big businesses that support entire city. Now you are pushing these factory workers to learn new technology & start living in crowded cities. They hate that busy lifestyle & cramped up spaces.

I might be wrong but this is what I understand from my experience. I am an Engineer & I can easily find a job in a much bigger town but I choose simple lifestyle & friendly neighbors.
Female is the keyword here. Even racists like Indian women. It's the men that get most of the hostility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies