Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 04:55 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act have to do with Trump's promise to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US?
your hypocrisy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM

1,302 posts, read 683,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"He says Indianapolis employees make about $34 per hour with salary and benefits, while workers in Mexico will make an average of $6 per hour with salary and benefits. If you do the math, that is $30 per worker per hour of savings."

If you do the math, they messed up the very first equation. Not sure how accurate the rest is LOL.
In fact 6*21 = 126 * 48 hr a week = 6048 Pesos a Week.... They get that every two weeks. so I would say that the real cost of mexican workers would be around 3 dollars per Hour. now that Trump was elected and that the Peso became more a more cheaper.

Can a worker with a salary of 34 USD/Hour stand against a worker for 3 USD per Hour?

I don't think so.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
President-elect Trump has said he will bring back our manufacturing jobs from China and Mexico. When does that happen and how many is he going to bring back?
Never.

I'm from the Rust Belt and have lived in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

You have to make the distinction between the Rust Belt cities and the suburban/rural areas away from the city centers though.

Hillary still won the Rust Belt city cores. Her margins were just lower than years past. Low turnout combined with the continued population decrease to blame there.

The burbs are becoming wealthier surrounding the Rust Belt cities. These are mostly the white folks whose fathers were the last to work in the mills/factories before they closed (late 70s/early 80s) and foreigners (Asians/Indians). They went to the state schools in those cities and work in education/finance/health care/government in the city cores. After work they retreat back to the burbs (though you do have the gentrification thing going on over the last 7-10 years but that has done nothing to stop overall population loss in the cities).

The rural folks have been there since the beginning of time. Their numbers have been stagnant to losing folks. The difference was they came out swinging this election. Each one of them voted...or it seems like it.

A few months ago I was back in Ohio visiting family. I had to drive my one sister to the Pittsburgh airport from just outside Cleveland (less than 2 hour trip). I took the scenic route on the way back (forgive me libs for not wanting to pay the tolls for your roads).

Not only were all the signs for Trump in the cornfields in pasteurs they were huge homemade ones. These folks went all out painting their barns/wagons/plows for Trump. Flags everywhere.

Trump won all of the rural areas, made really good inroads in the burbs, and the cores just didn't vote/continue to lose population (which would have been for Hillary).

Back on point though...

There's nobody left there who would work those jobs even if they did come back like it was 1970. The rural folks farm. The suburban folks do the finance/education/health care thing in the cores. Those left in the cities willing to work those jobs would be minorities and poor whites with little formal education. Those folks still voted for Hillary (though not at the strength of years past) and their overall numbers are only a fraction of what they were back when the mills/factories were going.

If by some miracle those jobs came back at the numbers pre 1980 we would need another mass migration of folks from other areas to come back there to work like the Southern Europeans and blacks from the South did last century.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
^^ You people are talking about more old school assembly line jobs no one expects those to ever come back. Germany has a larger manufacturing sector than the US and they are doing quite well. You people just want to be lazy lib.tards and leave everything the way it is now trying to rely on cubicle farm jobs.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
President-elect Trump has said he will bring back our manufacturing jobs from China and Mexico. When does that happen and how many is he going to bring back?
I'm. laughing out loud the Donald cannot bring back American manufactoring jobs without turning this country into a communist country.... LOL...

Last edited by Howest2008; 11-10-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are plenty of jobs in the US. For the first time in a long time, the number of open positions exceeds the available labor pool. But, and it's a biggie, most of those jobs are in the west and the sunbelt and, especially, urban centers. And they require skills and/or education. The people needing jobs are in rural America and do not have the requisite skills/education. We should address this before thinking tariffs are going to save us.
Can you please provide a link to the evidence for this?

I must say I'm skeptical, but I hope you are right.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
trump may be able to bring automated manufacturing back to the usa and that's about it.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:37 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
So how is Trump going to get those jobs back?

Carrier, for example, is moving to Mexico because they can pay workers there $3 per hour. In Indiana, Carrier had to pay $20 per hour. How is Trump going to force them to move their operations back to the United States?
Quote:
How do you stop a company from leaving?
You make it less profitable or advantageous for them to do so. Every single manufacturer in the world wants the US market. You use that to your advantage and make them play the game. If they don't an entrepreneur or one of their competitors will. You do know that Volkswagen has a plant in Tennessee right...Honda is in Ohio, and Toyota is in WV. '

You're sticking up for companies that don't deserve to be stuck up for.

Ford isn't going to go out of business if they don't move their Ford Focus plant to Mexico. If they raise the price of it then people will just buy a Chevy Cruze instead, which is made in the US. When a company like Ford moves 2,000 jobs to Mexico all it's doing is fattening the pockets of the top .01 percenters and getting their executive team 100k bonuses. None of that is passed on to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If you want government to stop capitalists from having the freedom to do what they want, that's liberal* not conservative*. Right?

The conservative thing to do is to blame the victims of those job losses and tell them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

*by the contemporary definitions of those terms. It can be confusing because the term "neoliberalism" is often used for free-trade/globalization.
That's why Hillary lost the Dems are now more like the old conservatives when it comes to business. What we have now is corporate Capitalism it's not the same as what the founding fathers envisioned. They did not know what the world was going to look like in 2016.
I've watched Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story a dozen times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Can you tell me exactly how 45 will prevent big, greedy manufacturing concerns from moving their operations to other countries? It's just a matter of simple economics in my eyes. Cheap labor in poorer countries will always beat out overpriced labor in rich ones.
Why is Germany doing better than us then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
trump may be able to bring automated manufacturing back to the usa and that's about it.
So? That's how it is everywhere mostly. Those factories would have to hire QA'ers, inspectors, electricians, machinists, techs, supervisors, managers, accounting people, IT people, etc.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-10-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
^^ You people are talking about more old school assembly line jobs no one expects those to ever come back. Germany has a larger manufacturing sector than the US and they are doing quite well. You people just want to be lazy lib.tards and leave everything the way it is now trying to rely on cubicle farm jobs.
I'm just telling you the demographics.

The rural folks are generational farmers who have little to no interest in learning skills to work in a factory.

The suburban folks have already put in their bachelors at a minimum/many masters and won't leave their government/banking/education/health care jobs to get trained in factory jobs.

The inner city Rust Belt cores are a shell of their former selves in population and don't have the "makeup" of folks willing to be a trained working force. And it's this group that would be first in line to even attempt getting those jobs.

So like I said if those manufacturing jobs were ever to return (in a more skilled context as you noted) there will have to be an influx of folks from somewhere else willing to do them.

Southern Europeans and blacks came for the unskilled jobs last century. When the factories/mills shut down in the 70s/80s the younger ambitious folks fled (and those would have been the ones best suited for new skilled manufacturing). First it was to California and Arizona. Then a second wave went to the Carolinas, Florida, and Texas.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Actually we don't have "Obama's" budget for 2017. We have a continuing resolution through Dec 9. The pubs could extend that through the end of January and implement any changes Trump wants at that point.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was law 3 weeks after Obama took office. There is no need for Trump's proposals to take 3-4 months.
Trump can't have a budget prepared on the day he is inaugurated. There is a budget process that takes at least months. He doesn't have an administration yet. What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies