Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The presidents that win the electoral college but lose the popular vote tend not to be very good.

Based on what? Its only happened a few times in our history. Not enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 09:41 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
Read the rules of the game, then shove the popular vote right where it belongs. We are the United STATES of America, not the United People of America.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
I think we should start again. I'm not a liberal or a republican, but the stupidity here is more than I can bear.
Here are two numbers: 6 and 7.
One of these numbers is bigger than the other. Can you guess which one? Good!

Now here's a definition of popular vote - (a definition that existed before the Election btw) - the popular vote is the voting choice that gets the biggest number of votes. In this case, Clinton got the bigger number (go back to 6 and 7 above - see how that works? One number is biggererer than the other). Thats math for ya!

And finally, yes, the presidential election in the US is not decided by popular vote.

So can we now all just shuddup?

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I don't care. the system we have was designed to prevent mob rule. it works. period move along.

we have a president of, for and by the People.
Despite the reality that only 26.6% of the qualified voters voted for Drumpf?
Sure, Hillary did no better, really. Only 26.8% voted for her.

Bottom line, 47% of qualified voters didn't like either one.

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I think we should start again. I'm not a liberal or a republican, but the stupidity here is more than I can bear.
Here are two numbers: 6 and 7.
One of these numbers is bigger than the other. Can you guess which one? Good!

Now here's a definition of popular vote - (a definition that existed before the Election btw) - the popular vote is the voting choice that gets the biggest number of votes. In this case, Clinton got the bigger number (go back to 6 and 7 above - see how that works? One number is biggererer than the other). Thats math for ya!

And finally, yes, the presidential election in the US is not decided by popular vote.

So can we now all just shuddup?
Lol it's amazing how little facts matter to people on here.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Based on what? Its only happened a few times in our history. Not enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions.
Because they have no support. It takes very little to turn the hairs breadth of support they won with, against them.

Quincy Adams
Hayes
Harrison
Bush II

They did nothing on domestic issues, because they had no help in Congress.

Only Bush was able to do much, and he was helped by 9/11, and much of what he did was not good. He got tax cuts and NCLB. Failed spectacularly on social security.

Trump won on domestic issues. He is going around saying we will have infrastructure, jobs, health care, and lower taxes. I want candy and hot chocolate for Christmas too, but not to gain weight. Good luck to him.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Read the rules of the game, then shove the popular vote right where it belongs. We are the United STATES of America, not the United People of America.
If we are going to mess with the system, let's retro the 14th amendment so that people must have at least one AMERICAN parent to vote. That makes that 11 million nonsense number mean a lot.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:56 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Sounds a bit odd to me. If the most votes don't count, then all votes aren't equal.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sounds a bit odd to me. If the most votes don't count, then all votes aren't equal.
When it comes to the presidential vote, all votes are not and never have been equal. If you want the biggest value for your vote, you simply have to move to Wyoming.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
When it comes to the presidential vote, all votes are not and never have been equal. If you want the biggest value for your vote, you simply have to move to Wyoming.
Cool! - you get a bigger vote, and fantastic skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies