Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

For example, do you REALLY think he is going to build "the Wall" or have mass deportations or defund Planned Parenthood?

I sincerely doubt it --although time will tell, of course.

(Personally, although I STILL think he is an egotistical buffoon -- I voted for Johnson, btw -- I think that MUCH of what he said was just to get airtime and to further his appeal to what has become known as his "core" supporters -- the working class nativist white men without a college degree.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:37 AM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times
He's a real estate developer. He's full of s*it by virtue of what he is..

Old 11-10-2016, 11:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
If I voted for him I would expect he'd get everything done he promised, or I would see him as a failure.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:40 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Serious? In his mind I'd say yes. Practical? Not so much. Reality? That chapter hasn't been written yet.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:42 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
There are some things that I think he can (and should) do, like pulling out of NAFTA. I hope he focuses on what is possible and what could get bipartisan support and tables the things that were always a pipe dream.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
IMO Peter Thiel on CNBC sums it up best -

"I think one thing that should be distinguished here is that the media is always taking Trump literally. It never takes him seriously, but it always takes him literally. ... I think a lot of voters who vote for Trump take Trump seriously but not literally, so when they hear things like the Muslim comment or the wall comment, their question is not, 'Are you going to build a wall like the Great Wall of China?' or, you know, 'How exactly are you going to enforce these tests?' What they hear is we're going to have a saner, more sensible immigration policy."

Peter Thiel perfectly summed up Donald Trump in one paragraph

Old 11-10-2016, 11:47 AM

575 posts, read 298,865 times
Trump is a Deal Maker with no Moral Compas. As likely to screw Republicans as Dems.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 AM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
I would say he took it as a game but I wish he is a serious player.

The 'great wall' statement is really a joke.

Personally he is funny and cute and he was so handsome when he was young. ))

I am not citizen and don't have the right to vote but I would prefer him than Hillary. I want my fellow Asian kids who worked their tail off to get the real equal opportunity to go to university instead of fighting against each other within the race-based quota. Hillary said, 'the university is for everyone not just someone'. Everyone knows what she means.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 AM

776 posts, read 745,829 times
Why would a billionaire living a comfortable life step down to become President of the United States? I think he is serious and I believe he loves his country. He's taken a huge risk to him and his family to do this. Doing this to stroke your ego is not a wise move. I don't think he's a dummy by any means. He obviously knows what he is doing. Yes, I believe he is 100% serious. However he will have many hurdles to climb to accomplish what he wants to legally. When he walked up on the stage on election night it looked like he choked up when he walked in. I believe it was surreal to him at the moment. I also noticed that his tone changed dramatically as the seriousness of this position really kicked in.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I think people think the pres has more power then he actually does. our system is made up to make sure one person does not have all that power. One thing that's made us so great for so long.

That being said, I think a candidate has to mention a lot of policies and "aim high" even if some of the things are impossible. I personally agree with everything he mentioned he would do and would love to see it get done but the reality is that those are/were his ideas and in order to go through have to be approved by other methods.

Will the wall get built and will they deport all illegals? i would love for both to happen but i'll be happy seeing that our immigration laws already on the books start to be enforced again making the illegals that decide to stay return to the shadows where they had been for years. I think overall, we'll start seeing less as they feel less welcome. many that I know of around here are already running scared and pricing plane/bus tickets and planning to move back home. IMO, already a positive and he hasn't become pres yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies