Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why not, maybe you can show us you brilliant military mind and tell us where the term "hooker" came from....

And no, you cannot use google....
It's funny, I served with a guy whose last name was Hooker and he was related to THE General Hooker who is "responsible" for the "hookers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would be the best thing this country ever did. Just look at these maladjusted, overweight and immature young people protesting about something most have no clue of. One girl (she was probably 5'2/200 lbs) suggested there would be bloodshed to get what they want. First off, who is going to shed their blood? I doubt she could climb a set of stairs without resting. These young people are lost. Their parents taught them nothing.

They do 2 years of military service and get 2 years of college in return.
I have always felt this country should have such a policy. Either 2 years military or community service. Something is seriously out of whack in American society. A heavy dose of direction and ambition is needed more than ever.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Come back when you have an adult suggestion instead of this nonsense.
Translation: This points out my inconsistency and I have no logical comeback, so I'll give an emotion-based non-argument and block it out of my mind.

If it's wrong for you or I to do on our own, it's equally wrong to have the government do it. Come back when you have an adult rebuttal to that instead of this nonsense.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:48 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Veterans are unable to find jobs, are on welfare, are on foodstamps, are homeless."

What are he numbers of these that you describe compared to the total number that HAVE served?

I would think that those you describe are combat vets and suffer from PTSD.

As I have stated, there are MORE NON-COMBAT positions in the military then there are combat positions.

And many of those are unable to find jobs, are on welfare, and are on food stamps.

Heck, there are active duty service people on food stamps.

There are plenty of service people who did non-combat jobs that don't matter to civilian employers. Most military specialties, in fact, are useless to civilian employers these days.

The military is not a cure for social problems.

Quote:
To paint ALL service men and women in this way is an insult and you should be ashamed of your self.
Well, you just don't know what you're talking about in that regard.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
would be the best thing this country ever did. Just look at these maladjusted, overweight and immature young people protesting about something most have no clue of. One girl (she was probably 5'2/200 lbs) suggested there would be bloodshed to get what they want. First off, who is going to shed their blood? I doubt she could climb a set of stairs without resting. These young people are lost. Their parents taught them nothing.

They do 2 years of military service and get 2 years of college in return.
no.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And many of those are unable to find jobs, are on welfare, and are on food stamps.

Heck, there are active duty service people on food stamps.

There are plenty of service people who did non-combat jobs that don't matter to civilian employers. Most military specialties, in fact, are useless to civilian employers these days.

The military is not a cure for social problems.

Well, you just don't know what you're talking about in that regard.

When we learn it's not a cure for political/social problems in other parts of the world or the best way to deal with leaders we don't like we'll really have something.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Mandatory military service?

It's fascinating how intrusive heavy-handed government is fine as long as it's directed at someone else.
Yep. Even the OP states he wouldn't want his own son to join the military.

Last edited by Scratch33; 11-14-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When we learn it's not a cure for political/social problems in other parts of the world or the best way to deal with leaders we don't like we'll really have something.
That, too.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:22 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Better find the money if we want a future.
That money will come out of your taxes. Alot of people complain about taxes.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Aren't you special!?
I'm inconceivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies