Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,729,458 times

Advertisements

If all these young people were drafted in the military, they probably couldn't handle war in the Middle East without without being away from their safe spaces for more than five minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,759,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Ah, no.
If you're a citizen, you ARE already the militia. You have a civic duty to train, fight, and die, on command.
The governor can call you up.
The president can call you up.

Ain't it grand to be a citizen?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
“The great draft riot in New York City in July 1863 involved Irish immigrants who had been signed up as citizens to swell the vote of the city's Democratic political machine, not realizing it made them liable for the draft.”
Perhaps my post wasn't clear, but I will never honor this civic duty. Try and make me. I dare you.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,612,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
the department of defense cannot afford the payroll of all college age people for two years AND pay for two years of education...
In the Democrats mind, sure they can.

We are heading in the direction of a mandatory civilian military, and it has everything do to with the expansion of government and probably student loans have a lot to do with it.

After all with government loans being directly dispersed from the government, they are basically owned by the government. Only death absolves this so called "good" debt. The borrower is slave to the lender.

They've already by their interference make more and more people look at the military as a means to help them pay down their student loans.

I don't know how many times people have attempted to help justify the costs of me going to Medical School ($300k -500k) now with saying that I always have the opportunity to join the military.

I never intended on joining the military. If that's what I have to do to pay the loans down, I don't want it. I don't buy into it all. I talked to a recent graduate of Physical Therapy that told me the same thing. "Well if things get bad, I'll just join the military". Because he has 150k + total student loan debt in a job that is facing decreasing reimbursement.

I will only be picking up a weapon to defend this country if there are people coming across the border, because I have no idea what are Government is up to in the Military Industrial Complex and don't know what agenda I'm really serving. Just like they didn't in Vietnam.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
In the Democrats mind, sure they can.

We are heading in the direction of a mandatory civilian military, and it has everything do to with the expansion of government and probably student loans have a lot to do with it.

After all with government loans being directly dispersed from the government, they are basically owned by the government. Only death absolves this so called "good" debt. The borrower is slave to the lender.

They've already by their interference make more and more people look at the military as a means to help them pay down their student loans.

I don't know how many times people have attempted to help justify the costs of going to Medical School )$300k -500k) now with saying that I always have the opportunity to join the military.

I never intended on joining the military. If that's what I have to do to pay the loans down, I don't want it.

I will only be picking up a weapon to defend this country if there are people coming across the border, because I have no idea what are Government is up to in the Military Industrial Complex and don't know what agenda I'm really serving. Just like they didn't in Vietnam.
Writing an alternate universe story, are you? Good start.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:25 AM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
well, Mikelee's last paragraph is spot on.

If they want to fight for the multi-national global corporation, then they should send their own sons and daughters, second cousin's first born son, or whatever. Why sending other people's kids and loved ones?

This is b.s.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 AM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
No mandatory military service but I'd listen to an argument for mandatory public service.
Public service does NOT do what the military does in "making men out of boys".

Old 11-13-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Not sure I'd want these young adults in the military. I know you might say "well it will get them straight" but by the age of 18 it might be too late.
In 2 minutes talking to young man I can tell if served in the military.

18 is NOT too late. Ask most men who were in the military at 18.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Obviously would need a separate program for civilians and then the real military. But exercise, pre college classes along with more exercise, healthy diet and discipline. Teach them to keep their big mouths shut when adults are talking.
" pre college classes"

Why ONLY "college"?

Don't we have enough "dumb" college grads?

What is wrong wit trade schools?

The rest I agree with as long as the "other "program is RUN by military people and like boot camp.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:05 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,759,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Public service does NOT do what the military does in "making men out of boys".
I guess that would have to depend on your definition of a man.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Last thing we need. Roughly four million people turn 18 every year. If you required two years of service that would mean eight million more enlisted +/- in our military. Our current military has a total of 1,430,000 active duty members and it costs over 600,000,000,000.00 dollars to operate. Adding 8,000,000, to the ranks would use the entire federal budget and more.

Our military is doing fine without these worthless whiners. It is not the job of our military do the job of failed parents.
For the good of the country SOMEBODY has to do it.

Parents are NOT.

High schools are NOT preparing the young for college OR how to be ahve in public.

Colleges sure aren't. Have you been following the news and all the "safe rooms" being provided. the counseling, the pampering those that have NEVER been said "no" to, always got a trophy, no more pass of fail grades, etc?

Do we care about the future of our country or NOT?

What are YOUR solutions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies