Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This. ^^^

If the DNC hadn't basically told everyone in the party "it's Hillary's turn" and actually ran an honest primary without any bias on the DNC's part, things might have turned out differently.

The other thing is that the DNC (and by extension, the media) were tone deaf to what a huge swath of the population was saying in supporting Bernie Sanders and Trump.Simply put, the DNC put preserving power over actually listening to what a huge group of people were saying, which was: we do NOT want politics as usual.

Yet, the DNC gave us the ultimate "politics as usual" candidate who was just as tone deaf as the party itself.

All that said, I think the Republican party was just as tone deaf to voters this year. It's quite amusing watching them all back pedaling about Trump now that he is president-elect.

Unfortunately, both ruling parties will remain tone deaf going forward. The two ruling parties don't care about the peons; they only care about preserving their own power. I think a lot of voters saw Clinton as part of that problem, not the solution. Sadly, I don't think Trump will be part of the solution either.

In my opinion, it is really time for a viable third party that puts listening above power grabbing.
Agree. Excellent post.

The people were forced to choose between Politics as Usual and White Nationalism. The people are so fed up with Politics as Usual that they chose White Nationalism instead.

Why the hell did the DNC choose a Politics as Usual candidate in the middle of an economic depression that's been going on since 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 12:10 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Probably in assuming the American people weren't so dumb that a complete idiot could never get elected.

So yeah, we were wrong. Americans are dumber than we thought.
Trump is not an idiot. A person who says the crazy **** he said and still gets nominated, let alone elected knew exactly what they were doing. He planned this out. He knew how to win this. As much as I dislike Trump, calling him an idiot is simply not an honest criticism.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:15 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why the hell did the DNC choose a Politics as Usual candidate in the middle of an economic depression that's been going on since 2008?
It's a fascinating question that I've never understood. I think it's because a black president followed by a female president seemed like a sure social lock.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This. ^^^

If the DNC hadn't basically told everyone in the party "it's Hillary's turn" and actually ran an honest primary without any bias on the DNC's part, things might have turned out differently.

The other thing is that the DNC (and by extension, the media) were tone deaf to what a huge swath of the population was saying in supporting Bernie Sanders and Trump.Simply put, the DNC put preserving power over actually listening to what a huge group of people were saying, which was: we do NOT want politics as usual.

Yet, the DNC gave us the ultimate "politics as usual" candidate who was just as tone deaf as the party itself.

All that said, I think the Republican party was just as tone deaf to voters this year. It's quite amusing watching them all back pedaling about Trump now that he is president-elect.

Unfortunately, both ruling parties will remain tone deaf going forward. The two ruling parties don't care about the peons; they only care about preserving their own power. I think a lot of voters saw Clinton as part of that problem, not the solution. Sadly, I don't think Trump will be part of the solution either. Sanders might have been.

In my opinion, it is really time for a viable third party that puts listening above power grabbing.
Hillary's been plotting this since 1998 realistically. She's wanted to be president for quite a while and had Obama not been the Bernie of 2008, she may have been president already. Alas, Obama did what Trump did and what Bernie could have done; he represented something different. Unfortunately, Obama was corruptible and while I think he was better than Clinton would have been, he's no Bernie Sanders.

Notice, there were so many Republians running that they had to have 2 separate debate times just to fit all of them in. That shows a party that fractures. The GOP was trying to reconcile the many views that were present within it, all of which often were contradictory to one another. Hence, there was what, 16 freaking candidates? The Democrats, at their peak, had 5, and no one remembers the first 2 and the last 3 were just for show. The DNC wanted Hillary; Bernie ended up being a serious problem which is why Hillary, pretty much out of nowhere, started talking about how much she cares about wealth inequality, despite her and her husbands policies being major contributors to the current wealth inequality. The Democratic party is also fractioned, but the Dems were doing a better job of seeming like it wasn't like that. The GOP has looked like a mess for a while now. The Dems were no better, but they seemed like they were. Bernie basically exposed it for what it was; a party in decline.

I agree, we need "third parties." I think we need more than that though, especially at local elections. I accept that at the top, realistically, we'll only be able to ever sustain 3 parties, if that. There's no reason we can't have more parties represented in congress and in state legislature. It's entirely unreasonable to assume a nation of 300 million people can actually be split into two camps. Hopefully, the Trump presidency will wake people up to the reality that there are a lot of opinions and in a free republic, they all have a right to be heard, from the outsiders to the repugnant.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Simple.

Dems got power drunk and went off the deep end. (Remember "elections have consequences?)

They pulled so far to the left that they forgot basic physics.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The pendulum has simply swung back.

Liberal SJW types who accused anyone who disagreed with Obama's policies of racism, helped elect Trump just as surely as if they had voted for him themselves.

They thought they had built an unbeatable demographic coalition that would keep them in charge of the country for the foreseeable future, so they did what leftists have historically always done when they thought they had a permanent advantage. They started the campaign of mockery, insults and dehumanizing language that softens people up for the purging stage which comes later. Collectivist societies only work when everybody buys in to them so it eventually always has to come down to that. Problem was they bought in to their own rhetoric to the point where they underestimated the strength of the remaining opposition. And thank God they did.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:22 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
HRC was weighted down with so much baggage that a lot of people who might have voted didn't.

Voter turnout was the lowest in 20 years. Over 90 million registered voters chose not to vote for President-elect Trump or his defeated opponent.

Voter turnout at 20-year low in 2016 - CNNPolitics.com

Over 90 Million Eligible Voters Didn’t Vote in 2016 | Heavy.com

Neither candidate was appealing, in my opinion.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Their first mistake was trotting Clinton out as the only candidate, as though she was so spotlessly clean they wouldn't need a plan B.

After that, it was one thing after the next, from Wasserman to screwing Bernie Sanders to trotting out the moms at the DNC, some of whose sons gave the police enough worry to feel threatened, to the basket of deploribles, to her lacking credibility. And that's not taking into account the wikileaks.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:35 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
She was a terribly flawed choice. Her "experience" as First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State didn't yield a single positive accomplishment as far as I know. Without Bill and the Clinton machine she might have been a good lawyer, but that's about it.

If the Dems had picked a better candidate, who knows?

Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Trump is not an idiot. A person who says the crazy **** he said and still gets nominated, let alone elected knew exactly what they were doing. He planned this out. He knew how to win this. As much as I dislike Trump, calling him an idiot is simply not an honest criticism.
You are 100% correct.

I agree that Trump said some outrageous things during his campaign, and acted in some crazy ways. However, I always love the people who call someone as successful as Trump an "idiot". You should be so lucky to be this stupid huh ? I have a extended family member like this. He's had like 25 jobs in his life. Many of them he quit in anger because the boss/owner was so stupid and didn't know how to run his business properly. My thought was always, who's the stupid one ? You're working for him, making a modest wage, while he's running a business successfully enough to live in a far nicer home than you, drive a far nicer car then you, his kids are going to private schools, he's taking multiple vacations ever year etc...., and you think you're the smart one ??? Really ?? Reality check!

Trump....stupid enough to live like he does ? Stupid enough to grow your investment portfolio and net worth into the billions over the years ? Stupid enough to run for President against an entrenched insider with the entire establishment and media (this isn't even debatable) behind her and actually win ?

Geez, if you who call Trump stupid and/or an idiot are so smart, why aren't you worth billions, have your name on multiple buildings, and why aren't you moving into the White House next year ? Apparently some of you have chosen to live in a track home with a huge mortgage to pay, and prefer to worry about how to send the kids to college. I guess that's how the truly smart people live, as opposed to the stupid people like Trump :-)

Hey, I don't like HRC one single bit....but I would NEVER EVER call her stupid. That woman, like her or not, is as smart and as crafty as can be. You would underestimate her at your peril.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:43 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Let's not beat about the bush, Tuesday was a disastrous day for the Democratic Party in the United States. They lost the White House, they were beaten in both houses of Congress, they performed poorly in the governship elections, and they have lost their opportunity to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice.

From my perspective, it seems as though their first mistake was to put forward a highly-flawed candidate who is very unpopular among non-Democrat voters, and is renowned for being a poor campaigner. It seems as though they chose a candidate whose "time had come" rather than someone who had a realistic chance of winning over the country. Secondly, in order to win an election you need to win over moderates and people from the other side. I don't know about you guys, but suggesting that those who don't agree with you are unintelligent, racists, or "deplorables" does not seem like good strategy to me. We saw it over here in the UK during the EU referendum, voters do not respond well to being patronized, and they will make their displeasure clear via the ballot box.

Personally, I think the second point is of more concern since it doesn't just effect this election, it has already contributed to the liberal establishment suffering damaging defeats this year, and may lead to more defeats for the progressive movement in the future. I think the Democrats and other progressive parties desperately need to find a way to alter their tone in order to appear less sanctimonious towards voters.

These are the two major reasons from my point of view, of course you're free to disagree. I am interested in hearing your suggestions for what the Democratic party needs to do in order to regain its appeal in time for the midterm elections in 2018, and the next Presidential election in 2020.
Using a fear mongering strategy and character assassination

Coronating instead of electing a candidate

Put up a candidate with nothing to offer

Put up a candidate that exposed the US national security to our enemies and high school level hackers

Put up a candidate who lied to the public about very serious matters

Put up a candidate who embraced BLM, a group that endorsed killing cops and is a terrorist organization

Put up a candidate who promised to continue policies that destroyed the economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies