Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:47 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why? There is an understanding in the medical profession that students are still learning. Rather than publicly demean a medical student for a mistake, teach them! Judging by the tone of the OP's post, I gather the learning environment, where he practices, is hostile.

Also, if I had to guess, the real reason the medical student called in was to avoid hearing hateful political rhetoric from those who are her preceptors.
If you're an adult and can't go to work because of an election you aren't ready for society never mind a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a physician. I have practiced for 30 years as an interventionalist/surgeon.

You are fired. I trained in the '80s. If ever we dared to abandon our duties (in the absence of extreme circumstances and an inability to stand up), we would be fired.

You are a traitor to your pledge and are not worthy of practicing medicine. Your behavior is a disgrace.

I am shocked that younger physicians have become so petty, self absorbed, and devoid of the mission they pledged to pursue.

You are a disgrace. I have practiced 30 years and would ask that you seek another profession, as your dedication to the conduct of medicine is essentially ZERO.

Please quit and seek another profession.

The abusive and angry environment you describe is slowly dying out in the medical profession...thank god!

The older physicians have attitudes of anger, superiority, and lack compassion. Younger physicians are more talented, tolerant, communicative, and work well within a team of medical providers.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You are insane and are not a physician.

We are trained to provide service and be available, regardless of personal sentiments. The only excuse for not reporting to duty is an illness that would preclude one being able to stand and deliver service.

If you can stand up- work.

I wsa treated for metastatic CA eight years ago. I continued to work every day, despite recieving chemo in the evening 5 days a week for a year. I would sleep 24 hours on the weekends and never missed a day of work.

I am currently being treated for bladder CA. I have had surgery X2 and am recieving chemo. I go to work every day, despite feeling agony, and continue to serve my patients.

Given that, you can imagine my extreme indigination and shock over an individual not showing up to work over an election.

That medical student needs to be fired, ASAP, as they are shallow and have not idea of what it means to serve patients, despite personal difficulties.

Chemo vs upset feelings over an election? Fire Her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is a disgrace.
No offense but I would not want a procedure done on myself by a physician working under the physical conditions and stress of metastatic CA and its treatment. A physician must realize their own physical and mental limitations.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
Fortunately there will be doctors there to take over in case a medical STUDENT decides to call out ONE day.

We don't know the situation. What if she didn't want to come in and face the men who worked there, parading the fact that a women didn't win and that a misogynist did, or something along those lines?
I suspect the environment there was hostile and full of political rhetoric. The student probably didn't want to waste a day listening to political hacks instead of learning about medicine.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You may be book smart, you may know your stuff, but you have very little empathy. Yes, you probably think you have compassion for your patients but your words don't show that. Even doctors are human, and you don't get that.

Sorry, but when it's you on the table & your life is hanging by a thread you are not going to care about "warm-fuzzy's".

If my loved one arrives to a hopspital in critical condition I don't care if the doctor/nurses have the bedside manner of a battle-axe.

Did you notice the OP's user name? "AnesthesiaMD". Those are the doctors that put you under when the scalpel or ventilator comes out. You don't need to worry about establishing a rapport with them; you want to know that they are competent to make sure your eyes open again; ever. Do you really want the guy that "missed that" because he was drowning his sorrows that day in chocolate ice-cream?

Coffe & donuts, support groups & warm fuzzys can come later.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
When my husband was an Ortho resident 15 years ago, he once passed a kidney stone in the middle of a case, and his attending refused to let him scrub out. When he was a senior resident, his junior passed out in the middle of a case from dehydration. Some big, burley Scrub Tech came and dragged him off, and the case continued. This is how training was (and still is) in many programs. He worked 110 hour weeks for his first 3 years and virtually the only time I saw him was in passing at the hospital, where I also happened to work.

The point hawkeye and other PP's are trying to make is that it doesn't matter what the circumstances or situation is, you don't get to skip days in medicine for issues such as this, or even worse. You are beaten down and built back up during your education and training precisely so you can handle the physical, mental and emotional challenges of the job. If this student is too distraught to come to work for something like this, what's going to happen to them when they are making important stressful decisions when they are in training and beyond?
I am in the medical profession and the conditions you describe are abusive! No one learns to be a compassionate medical professional from being physically and emotionally abused. That is the healthcare equivalent of road rage. You want a doctor doing your surgery while he is passing a kidney stone or severely dehydrated?

Last edited by jojajn; 11-12-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I thought the medical profession is supposed to have compassion.

If you can't understand the mental strain that this election result can have on some people, then perhaps YOU should have considered a different profession.
Oh please. It was an election, not the apocalypse. NO employer should have to pay for your weaknesses... you act like she lost a kid....now THAT would deserve compassion for an absence. No, you folks need to quit being so sensitive. Quit handing out trophy's to your kids just because they show up to a t-ball game.

The world doesn't care if you don't get it.....ever heard that before? I'm not insensitive for the loss but, remember, we dealt with it 8 years ago and for 8 years in duration. And through it all we never dragged a person out of their car and nearly beat them senseless (Chicago 2 days ago). Where was YOUR compassion then? Google it wonder boy. See if THAT was fair how that white man was treated.....THEN you can speak about compassion.

We didn't march, burn stores down, burn Barrack in effigy. You would demand a hate crime but hey, when it's Palin its all funny, right?

You are hypocrites. Tell her to get back to work. Losing a patient is going to be exponentially more painful to deal with that Hillary the crook losing an election.

Look at the bright side, maybe the doctors can get paid now with real affordable healthcare and LESS indigent care? Continuing to NOT pay physicians would be a crime for the very good services they provide...

Compassion for an overindulged medical student? Uh......nope...

Old 11-12-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you're an adult and can't go to work because of an election you aren't ready for society never mind a job.
That is the OP's limited perspective. I can tell you that it was much easier to get into medical school when the OP poster applied. Today's medical student would have to have; taken the most difficult science courses in college, get at least a 3.7 GPA, get a score in the 70% range on a test called the MCAT which only the most competitive students take, volunteer hundreds of hours during college, and write pages of essays just to be considered for medical school. If admitted, those medical students face tuition of 40 to 50K per year.

No medical student is going to risk losing all that they worked toward because they were upset about an election. Most likely, that medical student didn't want to waste her day listening to political hacks instead of learning medicine.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:29 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
The abusive and angry environment you describe is slowly dying out in the medical profession...thank god!

The older physicians have attitudes of anger, superiority, and lack compassion. Younger physicians are more talented, tolerant, communicative, and work well within a team of medical providers.
This is the absolute opposite of what almost every doctor is seeing today. New residency graduates used to be able to work independently immediately from the start. Today's graduates seem much less comfortable, and often need oversight. We used to pack 8 years of experience into 4 years, plus we were acclimated to the added stress of working into the 30th hour. We were ready for anything by the time we finished our residency. With the new graduates I have seen, I would be worried about them in the 20th hour, let alone th 30th. They are just not used to working really hard hours. They don't have the stamina. They are considering adding years onto residencies to make up for the decreased hours they are required to work.

Plus, it is very hard to find doctors that want to be on-call these days. Young docs all want day jobs. It's bizarre to me that all the young guys are leaving at 3PM, and the older guys are working late and overnight shifts. When I finished my residency, I wanted to work as much as possible, but not these new graduates. For the most part, it is fine with me in that more work means more money, but as the older docs are retiring with nobody to replace them, the extra calls we are having to take are seeming less and less worth it.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:34 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
That is the OP's limited perspective. I can tell you that it was much easier to get into medical school when the OP poster applied. Today's medical student would have to have; taken the most difficult science courses in college, get at least a 3.7 GPA, get a score in the 70% range on a test called the MCAT which only the most competitive students take, volunteer hundreds of hours during college, and write pages of essays just to be considered for medical school. If admitted, those medical students face tuition of 40 to 50K per year.

No medical student is going to risk losing all that they worked toward because they were upset about an election. Most likely, that medical student didn't want to waste her day listening to political hacks instead of learning medicine.
I think you are losing it. We don't even discuss our politics with the residents, let alone the Med students. This is just something you have made up in your own mind, and then ran with it.

Also, those requirements aren't much different than they were 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies