Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:43 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

On an hour and a half ride home tonight from a seminar, I listened to news radio. They played excerpts of Trump's upcoming 60-minutes interview.

In that ride home, here's a couple of key items:

Trump replaced Chris Christie with Pence to lead the transition team. Brilliant business move. He's rebuilding the Company (I mean the U.S.A.) from the basement level up. To empower his righthand man, the next in line to oversee the building of the business is a smart move. And with the chatter about how he's employing "insiders", he understands their importance in his regime.

Trump will keep parts of the Affordable Care Act. Another wise move. Obamacare has it's faults, but with any system there are almost always good parts to it. He's dissecting the Act to understand its components, and already stating he would keep the sections that allow children up to 26 to be on the parent's plan and to cover those with pre-existing conditions.

I also caught another thread about his potential stance on Hillary: //www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-soon-not.html. I think it's in his best interest and the country's to walk away and let the chips fall where they may. His focus is not best served on one individual already out of the spotlight.

I'm guessing that many strong conservatives are already grumbling about him backpedalling on promises. Some feel he's reneging on his promise to "drain the swamp". If so, you have totally and 100% missed the point on having a core businessman leading this country (and world). Throughout the primaries to the general election he said things. Strong things. People who hadn't listened before heard. He made promises like every candidate in the general election has done before him. Not one single president has ever kept all of the promises made during campaigning. Not everyone understand the business principles exercised during campaigning. Some are blinded about "what will you do for me".

Promises during campaigning are really directions and visions of the country's future. Once in office promises will always be massaged. Trump needs to be a fast learner and understand the implications before blowing it all up. And thus far he does. He sold his supporters during the campaign. That was his job, and in this election pretty much a job all his own. He didn't have full support from the GOP, and outside of that broken circle just forget about it. But he marketed himself brilliantly, best ever IMO. And now, in 48 hours he's starting to focus, and he's making necessary adjustments with new information.

As an independent liberal who voted for Hillary in Mass (totally blue state) as a protest for my initial fears about Trump, he is already on the exact track I was hoping for. He knows he can't help everyone all at once. But he will work it from both ends and down the middle simultaneously. Good business people can do that. I hope you less than moderate conservatives don't slip off the wagon.

Trump is a man that has always aspired to build his business empire. He now has the biggest piggybank in the known world. And he is also running the biggest business in this country, called the U.S.A. And globally, everything he does will have a ripple effect. Trump may be more in his comfort zone then we can imagine. And Trump knows if everything below him becomes more successful, that success flows upwards and ultimately builds his legacy, and thus far I believe he is for the people. I know we're only 48 hours in, but I like the feeling off the starting line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:48 PM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
The far right? Who the hell else would they have voted for?

Seriously, you don't think they would have ever flipped to Hillary do you?

While some Sanders supporters did flip to Trump.. I can almost guarantee you it wasn't any of the far left. A few of those might have flipped to Stein, however.

We're still 70 days away from his first day in office. As of now, good or bad, he's done precisely nothing other than win the election.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Trump will keep parts of the Affordable Care Act. Another wise move. Obamacare has it's faults, but with any system there are almost always good parts to it. He's dissecting the Act to understand its components, and already stating he would keep the sections that allow children up to 26 to be on the parent's plan and to cover those with pre-existing conditions.
I like my car. I just don't like the car payments.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
I don't disagree much with that. I just don't want backpedaling on immigration. I want a stricter policy than Trump campaigned on, ie a huge reduction, national origins quotas, end birthright citizen etc. I can't say I expected that to happen with all the globalist in the congress including Republicans and the desire and actual need to try to appeal to the identity groups' vote. But I believe the voting percentage by identity group is baked in and unchangeable anyway.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:04 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
How are they going to force insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions if it goes back to the free markets? What about the mandate and the cost?

Old 11-11-2016, 06:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
On an hour and a half ride home tonight from a seminar, I listened to news radio. They played excerpts of Trump's upcoming 60-minutes interview.

In that ride home, here's a couple of key items:

Trump replaced Chris Christie with Pence to lead the transition team. Brilliant business move. He's rebuilding the Company (I mean the U.S.A.) from the basement level up. To empower his righthand man, the next in line to oversee the building of the business is a smart move. And with the chatter about how he's employing "insiders", he understands their importance in his regime.

I also caught another thread about his potential stance on Hillary: //www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-soon-not.html. I think it's in his best interest and the country's to walk away and let the chips fall where they may. His focus is not best served on one individual already out of the spotlight.

I'm guessing that many strong conservatives are already grumbling about him backpedalling on promises. Some feel he's reneging on his promise to "drain the swamp". If so, you have totally and 100% missed the point on having a core businessman leading this country (and world). Throughout the primaries to the general election he said things. Strong things. People who hadn't listened before heard. He made promises like every candidate in the general election has done before him. Not one single president has ever kept all of the promises made during campaigning. Not everyone understand the business principles exercised during campaigning. Some are blinded about "what will you do for me".

Promises during campaigning are really directions and visions of the country's future. Once in office promises will always be massaged. Trump needs to be a fast learner and understand the implications before blowing it all up. And thus far he does. He sold his supporters during the campaign. That was his job, and in this election pretty much a job all his own. He didn't have full support from the GOP, and outside of that broken circle just forget about it. But he marketed himself brilliantly, best ever IMO. And now, in 48 hours he's starting to focus, and he's making necessary adjustments with new information.

As an independent liberal who voted for Hillary in Mass (totally blue state) as a protest for my initial fears about Trump, he is already on the exact track I was hoping for. He knows he can't help everyone all at once. But he will work it from both ends and down the middle simultaneously. Good business people can do that. I hope you less than moderate conservatives don't slip off the wagon.

Trump is a man that has always aspired to build his business empire. He now has the biggest piggybank in the known world. And he is also running the biggest business in this country, called the U.S.A. And globally, everything he does will have a ripple effect. Trump may be more in his comfort zone then we can imagine. And Trump knows if everything below him becomes more successful, that success flows upwards and ultimately builds his legacy, and thus far I believe he is for the people. I know we're only 48 hours in, but I like the feeling off the starting line.
i am taking a wait and see attitude with what trump is going to do.

on obamacare, i do agree that there are things that should be kept, you pointed out two of them. and i also believe there should be a public option for those that make too much to get on the state medicaid rolls, but not enough to afford private health insurance. but it does need to be means tested so as to prevent those that make enough money dont buy into the public option.

as for hillary, i doubt anything will happen now.

i do hope however that he does take a businessmans approach to the budget, cutting out crap programs that do nothing but waste money, and putting that funding into programs that are effective. he can also consolidate departments and shed some of the wasteful upper management and save money there.

he also needs to tackle the excessive regulations on business, and the tax code. make it simpler for everyone, including business, that way the private sector can cut down on the number of accountants they have to hire to deal with taxes and accounting.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
How are they going to force insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions if it goes back to the free markets? What about the mandate and the cost?
that is easy enough, you just require insurance companies to cover everyone that applies for a policy. as for the mandate, you can leave that in place. as for the cost of insurance, just the ability to buy insurance across state lines and increasing competition among insurance companies is going to lower the cost of health insurance as companies are going to compete with each other for your insurance dollars. rates are going to be where they are for a while, but will go down just like auto insurance did.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The far right? Who the hell else would they have voted for?

Seriously, you don't think they would have ever flipped to Hillary do you?

While some Sanders supporters did flip to Trump.. I can almost guarantee you it wasn't any of the far left. A few of those might have flipped to Stein, however.

We're still 70 days away from his first day in office. As of now, good or bad, he's done precisely nothing other than win the election.
My comments have nothing to do with voting. It's how the post election adjustments will affect their beliefs in him, for promises broken will first affect the extreme right.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I don't have a problem with any of that. Obviously, he is going to have to compromise on some things and work with other people, including liberals. He's not a dictator or a king.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't disagree much with that. I just don't want backpedaling on immigration. I want a stricter policy than Trump campaigned on, ie a huge reduction, national origins quotas, end birthright citizen etc. I can't say I expected that to happen with all the globalist in the congress including Republicans and the desire and actual need to try to appeal to the identity groups' vote. But I believe the voting percentage by identity group is baked in and unchangeable anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am taking a wait and see attitude with what trump is going to do.

on obamacare, i do agree that there are things that should be kept, you pointed out two of them. and i also believe there should be a public option for those that make too much to get on the state medicaid rolls, but not enough to afford private health insurance. but it does need to be means tested so as to prevent those that make enough money dont buy into the public option.

as for hillary, i doubt anything will happen now.

i do hope however that he does take a businessmans approach to the budget, cutting out crap programs that do nothing but waste money, and putting that funding into programs that are effective. he can also consolidate departments and shed some of the wasteful upper management and save money there.

he also needs to tackle the excessive regulations on business, and the tax code. make it simpler for everyone, including business, that way the private sector can cut down on the number of accountants they have to hire to deal with taxes and accounting.
I know we're only 48 hours in, and I stated I like what I see out of the gate. That's all, nothing more. I'm assuming nothing about the future, but am glad that in my opinion the path he's taken out of the gate is the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies