Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I stand corrected.

However, Minnesota as a state is over 85% white where as the district Ellison represents is only 63% white.
So what? Only white constituencies are important?
Quote:
It isn't just Ellison's race and religion.

When he first ran for US House, the press reported that Ellison had over $2,000 in overdue parking tickets and had his drivers license suspended.

Ellison and the relatives of his that the Tribune interviewed laughed and joked about it.

Of course the liberals and Blacks voting for him didn't care about his disregard .
That's rich.

Did conservatives and whites in Louisiana care about David Vitter's scandals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 10:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
I stand corrected.

However, Minnesota as a state is over 85% white where as the district Ellison represents is only 63% white.
So you retract your statement that his 18% black district is "mostly black"?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Progressives/Liberals Want Rep. Keith Ellison for DNC Chairman
Please, continue down the far-left path that has rewarded republicans with record number of state legislatures, governorships, Congress and the White House. Don't let us get in your way.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Please, continue down the far-left path that has rewarded republicans with record number of state legislatures, governorships, Congress and the White House. Don't let us get in your way.
State legislatures, governorships and Congress....right.

Why is abortion still legal? Why is the Education Dept still open? Why is Obamacare the law of the land? Why haven't states like Mississippi and Alabama rolled back the Civil Rights Act (like you know damn well they want to). Why is Affirmative Action still in affect? Why are labor laws still on the books? Why are environmental laws still on the books? Why is the EPA still cracking down on the states? Why is school prayer still illegal in every state? Why is the IRS still in business and why hasn't the tax code been scrapped? Why are corporate taxes still the same?

So really...why are you guys always bragging about having all of these state legislatures and governorships?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:27 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
State legislatures, governorships and Congress....right.

Why is abortion still legal? Why is the Education Dept still open? Why is Obamacare the law of the land? Why haven't states like Mississippi and Alabama rolled back the Civil Rights Act (like you know damn well they want to). Why is Affirmative Action still in affect? Why are labor laws still on the books? Why are environmental laws still on the books? Why is the EPA still cracking down on the states? Why is school prayer still illegal in every state? Why is the IRS still in business and why hasn't the tax code been scrapped? Why are corporate taxes still the same?

So really...why are you guys always bragging about having all of these state legislatures and governorships?
You really think having control of state legislatures and governorships is a BAD thing? Trump Derangement Syndrome is hitting you hard.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Really Dems? This whole election was basically a collective rebuke of identity politics. Ellison is a Muslim that aligned with some radical groups earlier in life, so I doubt Democrats will be winning back Rust Belt states with a choice like this. Democrats just don't get it...
???? Keith Ellison represents Minnesota, a rust belt state. I think a muslim who understands how to win in a rust belt state would make a very appealing candidate for DNC chair.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Why would Chuck Schumer do this? Is there some strategic reason? Surely the man can't be that oblivious.
This seems to be a Sanders initiative.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I can see a lot of moderate Democrats doing so. If I was a Democrat right now, I'd want to see the party move toward the center, not to the left. The Clinton campaign seemed to occupy a middle ground before Sanders forced her to push the campaign to the left. I see that as a mistake.
Quite the opposite actually.
Clinton was too conservative.

I expect that the Democratic party will (finally) move more to the left much like the GOP moved stridently to the right when Obama was elected.
The mid-terms will likely tell the tale.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Keith Ellison is a fine candidate for DNC chair. His race and religion is irrelevant. He was even threatened with death by ISIS for being a fake muslim.

He has been fighting tooth and nail for ordinary working class Americans in Congress for a long time and does not serve the big money donor class that have scr**** over so many people. The Wall Street democrats have clearly failed the working class of America and we do not need to push the party further into the hands of the super rich. The Democratic Party should represent ordinary salt of the earth Americans by moving towards its roots of mainstream FDR New Deal policies.
Thank you.
I agree completely.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I like this choice. Ellison is perfect for the job. His liberal bonafides are exactly what we need.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies