Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

i didnt like the fact that obama was elected president in 2008, and reelected in 2012, however i got over it and dealt with it. i didnt go out and protest, i didnt go looking for a "safe space", or what ever else snowflake liberals are doing now.

knowing how government works, much of what obama wanted to do was opposed, and imo rightly so, and sometimes he was opposed BY HIS OWN PARTY. the same thing will happen to trump.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The only citizen group that has much to worry about is gay Americans. The right to marry could be reversed.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
To the OP...

If liberals/Dems were so upset by the prospect of a potential Trump Presidency, why didn't that motivate them to vote? Too many liberals/Dems didn't vote in states that were blue in 2012, so Hillary lost. The chance to express one's unhappiness with a potential Trump Presidency was in the polling booth. They blew it. /shrug

It's also important to note that Trump got an increased percentage of the Black and Hispanic vote from 2012, so clearly a lower percentage some of the left's pet identity groups are as upset as you seem to believe.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:44 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And they are VERY directly being threatened. This isn't being afraid of some imaginary fear. This is some guy saying "Hey we're going to open up the floodgates of hate, have fun!"...all the while stating they are going to do the EXACT things I laid out in the post.
Whether it is an imaginary fear or real your side won't get any sympathy from rational folks because you guys constantly cry wolf.

Forget Trump and the election for a minute.

The SJWs shout down people, attack people, destroy property. They want to ban words, images, and free speech.

They need safe spaces and require trigger warnings. BLM is a phony movement and a joke.

If you are at risk of legit harm from Trump you'll get no help from others. Not because the other side hates you but because you've warped the lines of real racism, real injustice so badly nobody can truly tell if you're being threatened for real or you're just crying wolf like you've done for all the other non-Trump issues before this election season.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:40 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
Go read the full version. There is a difference between "Oh hey taxes suck", and "They mean to destroy all that I hold dear". And thats my point. These people have legitimate reasons to be afraid.
"These people" should start seeing their common identity as Americans first and foremost, not as part of their respective little identity groups who are hostile to each other and to the rest of the population. It's not Gays against Christians, or Jews against Muslims, or Muslims against Gays, or Blacks against Whites, or Blacks against Latinos, or Women against Men. They all - you all - are AMERICANS first and foremost. When these people will be able to see beyond their little group and reach out to the other groups, they will have nothing left to be afraid of.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Soros paid a lot of money to keep his agenda moving forward and fluid in the US. He lost. He is not going to take that laying down. These paid protests and violence may just be the beginning.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
This is long. But its to help folks explain to others exactly why the protestors are out there, and why so many on Facebook are upset.

So. The riots have begun in some places, with large scale protests. Both California and Oregon appear to be placing succession on their ballots for next year-no joke. And many are sitting at their house saying “what is WRONG with these people?”. This is my attempt to explain. And yes its long.
The TLDR short version? Trump and Pence scare the heck out of them for very rational and factual reasons.

The answer is simple. They are paying attention to both history, and to their own perspectives which are different than yours. They live in liberal areas, and they have friends who are LGBTQ, or children that are. Some are low income, and dependent on the ACA which gave many of them insurance for the first time ever. They are a minority, or a legal immigrant to our country.
Where you see Trump talking about getting the corruption out, they are noticing that in addition to that he is spreading hatred. His speeches denigrate people, and his past actions speak to his personality. And they don’t hear the “Lets clean up Washington!”. They hear him talking about Mexican murderers. Everyone seems to be willing to ignore all the bad things because hey, he is good about this ONE specific thing I care about.

Here are some examples. During the debate Clinton brought up that "Donald started his career back in 1973 being sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination because he would not rent apartments in one of his developments to African-Americans,". His response was "We settled the suit with zero -- with no admission of guilt. It was very easy to do.". And suddenly….there it is. The faceless corporate guy who did horribly racist things, but then settled for some insignificant sum, and was proud of getting away with no “responsibility”. And a little research can lead you to the torrid details. Suffice it to say, everyone of color who reads them is legit terrified of a racist taking over the white house.

LGBTQ? His choice of Pence for vice president legit terrifies these folks. They see that under a Trump presidency that the current protections they do have would be GONE. And Pence has repeatedly made clear that that is the goal.
Muslims? Do I REALLY need to say anything? This to them brings back memories of how the Jews were spoken of in early Germany. These folks aren’t blowing us up, they are our friends, coworkers, and neighbors.

Immigrants? Do I even need to explain this one? They just fled their homeland, and all of their friends because everyone was killing each other-or the terrorists won and drove them out, to arrive to….this. What the heck America? These people were being killed by our enemies.
Any woman who took the time to look into some of his opinions, and comments. Not things he was accused of, but things HE said, or placed on record.

Or my friend who found out she had cancer when she got on the ACA because that was the first time she could get checked? She beat it, but is terrified that with the loss of the ACA she will end up dead if it returns. Trumps “plan” would result in 20 million losing their insurance.
And those who are thinking of saying “He may have said THOSE things, but he didn’t really mean them”. I’m sorry, but he either is a liar who you should believe nothing of, or he is a horrifying danger to the above mentioned. Which one did you vote in? The person who lies so much you know NOTHING about him except his dishonesty, or the absolute terror to others?

So all of the above people are scared. They have REASON to be. But so are their parents, and their friends, and their co-workers. Oregon is a wonderful place, and here in Portland we are pretty accepting compared to most areas. So I know people from every single category above. They are my friends, my children, me, and my wife. And they are legit scared. They are buying guns, and ammunition.

And some of the deplorables are adding to it. The KKK is LITERALLY having a victory parade tomorrow. Comments have been made in the workplace, and some of the Facebook comments from people are truly insane.

And here’s the thing about the election. While everyone focused on the latest outrage from Trump, or the latest leaked email, many didn’t notice that every single group up there had reason to worry. Heck many in those groups didn’t know. And those who did, didn’t figure it was important because everyone was saying Trump was going to lose.

Which was fine….until he didn’t. Now some of these folks are talking. And whoa….holy crap this guys dangerous! Yeah. Ya think? So people are a little freaked out. And people filled with hate suddenly came out of the woodwork. And a LOT of us saw it personally, not just some friend or some hyped up news piece. Instead we’re sitting there going “What is wrong with people? Why did you think voting for this guy was a good idea?” I mean this is epic scary stuff.

Romney, McCain, Bush? Those were well meaning people who cared about others. Their politics were different, but they CARED. And none of these people think Trump cares. And his politics have been about going after the bad minorities.

But lets assume that you missed ALL of that above. Or that it was just glossed over as the cost of doing business because you don’t like those minorities anyways. Did you even READ his economic ideas? Massive spending increases, and massive tax cuts for the wealthiest. No really-lots of studies and research was done. This stuff matters. Everyone should take a couple college level classes in economics. His argument about tax cuts spurring growth is absolute nonsense. Even worse is that it was obvious nonsense, and yet was tried recently at the state level. Google “Kansas economic disaster” for the details. Sorry Kansas, but you know its true.

A hiring freeze in order to reduce the federal workforce. Welcome to corporate America redux. Do more with less people. And that staffing change will occur via shotgun. IE with no plan or understanding of the impact. And this is literally the solution of all too many large corporations when upper management is not competent enough to make good decisions. Come on, all of us in corporate have seen this.

Go read his 100 day contract with America on his website. Now remove everything that would require senate approval that they haven’t denied in the past. Uh huh. He probably will manage to gut the ACA, but good luck on the replacement part. Certainly won’t be covering any of the people losing their insurance. The ACA has literally saved tens of thousands of deaths from hospital acquired causes.

We’re not even talking about the people like my friend whose life was saved from cancer! You see the ACA did a LOT of things that aren’t talked about. Things that changed the standard of care, and the ability to co-ordinate better. I have no idea what the total is. And this is one of the things that he will replace with……what we had pre ACA, but now with more tax cuts! And this is one of the things he can manage.

To renegotiate the deal with Iran. That’s something he can do! Uh huh. And the 5-7 allies who signed this with us? Iran will laugh, restart their nuclear development, and hold out for a better deal…negotiated WITHOUT the US being involved. Because we will have made it clear we can’t be relied upon to negotiate in good faith.

Labeling China a currency manipulator and place tariffs on them. This is called a trade war. Is it a good idea? Normally I would have a mixed feeling on this. But his other plans lay out how insane this is. Cut taxes massively, spend massively, and at the same time be involved in trade war. Mind you-this is from HIS contract with America pledge from his website. NOTHING good will come out of this.

No Trump cannot magically make the steel jobs, and manufacturing jobs come back. Even if we replaced ALL of our steel output (far in excess of our needs), less then 10% of the workforce would be employed. The other 90% got automated away even in China. Manufacturing? We manufacture more now then ever before. None of those jobs are coming back, and even if we did, most would be done by current automation, never mind whats coming.

The clear political polarization of the FBI. Seriously. The FBI is one of our very powerful government agencies. This should terrify everyone. And right now BOTH sides are thinking the FBI has picked a side. This should never EVER have came to this. And it sounds like it came to this because members of the FBI picked sides and gave out information.

So. The minorities are scared, everyone who like them is scared, and anyone who looks at the above economic nightmare is scared…whats left?

This person has acted more immature then some 14 yr olds I know. And he will have nuclear codes. The one redeeming feature here is that he has repeatedly stated exactly how seriously he takes them. However, he does not have the calm under fire in my opinion that I want in a president. And that kinda worries me. It should worry everyone.

Still not scared because you aren’t part of one of the above groups? You don’t understand economics, haven’t seen the example of Kansas, or don’t believe that this person is that kind of threat?

That’s fine. Because that wasn’t my point. My point was that many (not all) of the people in these groups ARE scared. That’s the part they are seeing.

You? You either missed these things, thought they were liberal lies, or MSM nonsense. But for those of us researching this relentlessly, or who know all of the people in all of those groups, this mattered. We are upset. We really did not believe that so many of our friends, our family, and our coworkers could miss all of this, or would be willing to overlook it. I know I posted about this stuff occasionally. But when you vote, you need to understand who you are voting in, and WHAT they represent. Lets be honest, many of us (me included) think Hillary was a horrible choice for president. But the difference? She didn’t scare me. There was a LOT of fake stuff about her, or overhyped stuff. And weirdly a lot of really important stuff lost in all that noise. But none of it was scary, it was just…unsavory. And that’s why if she had won, there would have been only a few protests. Its because the losing side this time is scared. And nothing they are hearing is making them feel better. Especially not when so many of you think its funny. And when so many truly deplorable people have came out of the woodwork. This mattered, this was the most hate filled election in our time. And people are scared. For these people it wasn't about his anti-corruption promises, or his other promises.
I can't rep you again, but this is the best post I have seen in a long time on here. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
1. 8 years of brainwashing techniques by the liberal elites
2. The Gravy train will finally end and they will have to go out and be PRODUCTIVE members of society when Trump builds the economy and brings good pay jobs back to the U.S
3. They know The Trump administration will maintain law and order and put the hammer down on these liberal anarchists
So you want a dictatorship. That is what you mean by "put the hammer down on these liberal anarchists. But if Trump ever becomes a dictator you will also lose. Everyone will lose.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I understand why some are scared. But oh well, what else can you do? He is our president.
He is not my president, and frankly, this no longer feels like my country. I can deal with seeing my party lose an election, it happens, and we survive. But this...this is different. Never have I seen, in the US, a candidate who was so proficient at stirring up hatred. He has created a mob, and mobs are terrifying.

I fear for this country, I fear for our world.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I've lived in ultra liberal areas my whole life (some economically, some socially, some both) and still contend this whole "We're scared!" shtick is 99% media/SJW created poppycock.
No it isn't. I have listened to everything Trump has said, and it is he that scares me, not the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies