Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM

1,285 posts, read 587,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Uh huh, and I didn't make the choice to not be Barbara Streisand. So where are the millions of dollars society "owes" me because I'm a victim of inequality through no choice of my own?
You make a choice to live and work in the United States, thus agree to the terms and conditions of our government. That government has created and implements various systems to look after it's (and our) interests.

If you find that objectionable you can either try and change things, or show yourself the door?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 AM

8,587 posts, read 9,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Agreed, but my point was that everyone's COBRA bill is different because everyone has a different policy. She clearly opted for a policy that was more expensive because she knew that she'd be using it a lot. So there you go.
When the employee is terminated his/hers policy is the same as it was when employed by employer. The only thing that changes is employer contribution. All COBRA really is is a bridge that allows the former employee time to find work in order to avoid a lapse in coverage. For many, if that gap appears, pre-existing condition denial could be applied to future coverage. However, the ACA changed everything pertaining to pre-conditions. COBRA has not been around that long. Bill Clinton signed the bill back in 98 I believe.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Sure
Do your absolute best to be healthy

Don't be....
100 pounds overweight
Smoke
Use drugs
Engage in risky sex or pursuits purposefully
Never exercise
Eat copius amounts of bad foods and meat

And then expect medicine to fix you

If you have done the above...

Then

Insure everyone with catastrophic insurance that everyone pays something for.
If you are REALLY disabled then go into the pool of such people

Kind of what Trump is proposing...

If you don't engage in healthy behavior don't expect us to pay for it

Sorry dopers of all kinds... We won't pay for you
I just can't wait until your genes catch up with you!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,295,483 times
Quote:
Agreed, but my point was that everyone's COBRA bill is different because everyone has a different policy. She clearly opted for a policy that was more expensive because she knew that she'd be using it a lot. So there you go.
I have opted for premium insurance for many years because I have children, and children's health needs are unpredictable. I did not expect to be diagnosed with autoimmune disease after 45 years of being in excellent health, but it happened. I had never been sick. I had no reason to believe that I would get sick, but it happened anyway.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,543,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I just can't wait until your genes catch up with you!
Yeah, I laugh at him almost every time I read one of his posts (Which is less and less frequent).

Notice how he rattles off about 10 different choices that contribute to poor health, yet he ends with his signature attack on "dopers".

LOL

Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:
Because you said COBRA is expensive. So what? The reason COBRA is expensive is if you are racking up huge costs. If you use a lot of insurance -- for anything -- guess what happens? Your rates go up. If at some point they're too high for you ...that's your problem again. There is a mechanism in place to keep you covered, however that doesn't mean it has to be at a rate you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The reason COBRA is expensive is because the employer is no longer contributing. The former employee is now paying the full cost of the employer provided insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
When the employee is terminated his/hers policy is the same as it was when employed by employer. The only thing that changes is employer contribution. All COBRA really is is a bridge that allows the former employee time to find work in order to avoid a lapse in coverage. For many, if that gap appears, pre-existing condition denial could be applied to future coverage. However, the ACA changed everything pertaining to pre-conditions. COBRA has not been around that long. Bill Clinton signed the bill back in 98 I believe.
Please pay attention njquestions! I see that you've goaded randomparent into explaining her situation to you, but I'm going to say what I have to say anyway. The company her husband worked for offered this insurance. She didn't buy it on the private market (in which case she wouldn't be using COBRA in the first place); this is a policy that was available to all employees. Now her family has to pay the whole cost, the employer and employee portion, plus 2%. As she said, she faithfully paid her portion for 20 years, before really needing it for herself. Go back and read the "Very Well" link I posted, which you mocked. It explains all that.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM

1,850 posts, read 815,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
On the other hand we cannot just say, sorry kid, your mom is a sorry individual, and you're probably not gonna live very long.
Actually, we can.

That's how life works. Some people, unfortunately, have extremely worthless parents. And then the genes of their parents are supposed to not be disseminated. Instead, the way we do it, the people who have the most worthless genes are the ones who spread their genes the most because everyone else raises their kids, who often become much like their parents. That's backwards.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have opted for premium insurance for many years because I have children, and children's health needs are unpredictable. I did not expect to be diagnosed with autoimmune disease after 45 years of being in excellent health, but it happened. I had never been sick. I had no reason to believe that I would get sick, but it happened anyway.
That's OK, you opted for it. And actually, it worked out for you to have the most premium plan. So why are you complaining?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 587,076 times
Quote:
Actually, we can.

That's how life works. Some people, unfortunately, have extremely worthless parents. And then the genes of their parents are supposed to not be disseminated. Instead, the way we do it, the people who have the most worthless genes are the ones who spread their genes the most because everyone else raises their kids, who often become much like their parents. That's backwards.
So you think that people that make poor decisions, have poor genes?

LMAO!
You don't understand anything about biology

Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
So you think that people that make poor decisions, have poor genes?

LMAO!
You don't understand anything about biology
It doesn't matter if they have poor genes or not. If your parents are failures, then you die. That's your parents' fault. BTW, that's how it works in real life, you should check it out some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies