Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
A word of advice, stop trying to stifle another's opinion to bolster your own. It doesn't foster discussion and, frankly, is annoying. If that offends you, feel free to snitch.

Have Blessed Day.
It seems YOU'RE the one trying to stifle another poster's opinions. I only object to posters speaking to(female) posters in dismissive language.

Have a Blessed Day.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-13-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 11:23 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Of course.. Have you seen inner city people? All elitist with their Starbucks coffee walking around on their cell phones blabbering crap full of self importance

why do you hate them? 1/2 of them are the kids you sent to college-and told them to leave the farm!!

Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 AM

439 posts, read 357,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
It seems YOU'RE the one trying to stifle another poster's opinions. I only object to posters speaking to(female) posters in dismissive language.

Have a Blessed Day.

Who cares what language she used? If the person she directed the comment to didn't respond, then what's your problem? Ugh...

Old 11-13-2016, 11:32 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
Who cares what language she used? If the person she directed the comment to didn't respond, then what's your problem? Ugh...
Why do YOU care? If the poster to whom I addressed my post didn't respond, then what's YOUR problem? Ugh...

Heed your own advice.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The rural/city disparagement contest has been going on ever since "urbanized" farm product processers came into existence. Before that was the conflict between the farmers and the herders. I think it is just a factor of human existence.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:45 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The rural/city disparagement contest has been going on ever since "urbanized" farm product processers came into existence. Before that was the conflict between the farmers and the herders. I think it is just a factor of human existence.
"OH, the farmer and the cowman should be friends..."

(See who knows where the song comes from.)

Old 11-13-2016, 12:17 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Ha, Oklahoma.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:18 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Ha, Oklahoma.
You win!

Old 11-13-2016, 12:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Military boot camp was my first experience with major city folks' bigotry against those from areas they consider to be rural. The reaction from them was instantaneous. Some of the people I've met from major cities have told me they lived for decades in the city without ever having left the city. Can't get much of an echo chamber than one you've never left and when you do leave, you do so closing your mind off to the thoughts and opinions of the locals of the area you're visiting.
Actually, for people in the cities it's not just the city, circle down smaller. Many never leave their neighborhoods. That has changed a lot more now. But back when I was a baby in the '70s and a small kid in the '80s it was common to spend about 95 or 98% of your life in 1 or 2 neighborhoods.

I really did not venture to the South Side of Milwaukee until I became an adult. And it would have been extremely rare for me to enter the Bay View neighborhood on the South Side when I was a kid. And so much so that my brother, moved to Bay View as a Milwaukee Public School teacher in his 30s, and he like myself did not even realize until then that Bay View was a neighborhood in Milwaukee. We both had previously thought it was another city. A surburb.

The military got me around more outside of Wisconsin. But it was not until I left the military that I traveled more in Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee. I did to sone extent as a kid as I had cousins that had moved out to the country.

So, as big as LA, Chicago, Houston, and especially New York City are... I can pretty much speculate with reason that most people in those cities rarely spend much of their lives outside their closed neighborhoods. So, the size of the city becomes null, of no consequence, in that sense. The life of most people in Milwaukee (mid-sized city) is no larger or expansive than the life of the Wisconsinite living in the smaller northwestern state city of La Crosse, Wisconsin which has a population of about 50,000 people. Because the person in Milwaukee rarely leaves his neighborhood.

Quote:
Some have said that rural area folks are ignorant in politics because they vote for Republicans instead of Democrats who could help them. There's the difference. The modern Democratic party's version of help is government handouts. Generally, rural people have a pride in self reliance and work. They don't want someone giving them government handouts. They want politicians who will help by removing restrictions that cause companies to move jobs overseas.

Rural people look down upon city drivers in rural communities. The impatience, the anger, the aggression. I lived and worked in a few major cities and learned to change my driving nature to driving in the city. Once I moved back home, it took some time to go back to my more relaxed way of driving. When you leave the city, leave the city way of driving behind.

City folks do look down upon rural folks. They treat rural folks like stupid ignorant stereotypical Hollywood version of hick folks. If a group of people from a particular area treat you like this merely for where you're from, would it not be reasonable to expect these rural people to hold negative feelings and opinions against city folks?
Like black and Latinos from Houston, Chicago, and Milwaukee... when I started experiencing some of the small, tiny, towns of Wisconsin, were some lived on farms and then drove into the tiny town, I gained an appreciation for these people and found them less racist than the whites of the cities. Particularly the Republican held urban suburbs that sourround the city. Hands down urban Republicans in suburbs with good money are faaaaaaaaar more racist than rural Wisconsin whites. Not even a competition.

But even the conservative whites of rural Wisconsin are often less racist than some of the blue collar, white, Democrats. Namely those union construction trades. The liberal "artsy" whites are too hipster-like to be racist though. So, the East Side of Milwaukee has whites that aren't racist. Usually. A rare blue moon you'll encounter one that is. Assuming he even lives on that side of town rather than driving into work there.

Here is a black man that grew up in white, rural Wisconsin on a farm in something like the 1940's. at the very beginning of the show he recounts his experience growing up in rural Wisconsin as eventually the only black kid in his farm town. Notice how he only experienced racism in Wisconsin when he moved to Milwaukee. LOL!

He served in the military too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REiuO2GJcvg

I Remember Milwaukee | Program | #151 -- Felmers O. Chaney

Quote:
Published on Jan 31, 2013[Original Airdate: January 1, 1996]

In this encore presentation from 1996, Host Jim Peck interviews Felmers O. Chaney, the President of the Milwaukee Chapter of the NAACP. Chaney joined the Milwaukee Police Department in 1947 and in 1954 became the first black sergeant on the force. (Mr. Chaney passed away Dec. 5, 2012)
That said... there could be regional rural differences too. Hell, maybe in Wisconsin alone. I've never traveled way up North in Wisconsin but I've heard the people up there can be pretty cliquish and dislike outsiders. I don't know if it is true. Just what I've heard.

Some portions of Wisconsin has very wealthy rural people. Some are farmers actually. And there are "gentleman farmers" to who are educated, such as having law degrees, are refined and well dressed, erudite, and farm more as a lifestyle than as a need.

But portions of the rural ozarks, and of rural Appalachia appear from my distance away to "backwards" where people dress poorly and they behave in a manner that conjures up images of "hicks."

I'm confident that is not all rural life and all rural people throughout all stretches of the rural South. There too you will find extremely wealthy rural Southern folks, cultured, very well read and probably far more world traveled than myself.

I should probably point out, in the horse riding world, be it in the rural North or the rural South, the horse riding women have a reputation of dressing well. In nice, tight jeans. Pressed collard shirts. Appropiraite belt and cowboy boots. Compared to some of the poorly dressed women in American urban ghettos.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:31 PM

439 posts, read 357,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Why do YOU care? If the poster to whom I addressed my post didn't respond, then what's YOUR problem? Ugh...

Heed your own advice.
When you do the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies