Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

I am a 'local' from used to be rural PA - not so much anymore. Much of the difference is familiarity. Many years ago I would complain about NJ and NY drivers along with the rest of my friends. Then I took a job in eastern NJ for about six months. After about a month of adapting; I could spot a PA motorist half a mile away. I got use to their driving habits and most people from PA were new to the area. The same is true of NY and NJ drivers in PA. Most drivers just need time to adapt - but some will never adapt because they are too set in their ways.

There will always be some people that feel they are too good for other people - especially from the city where the wages are generally much higher. Of course there is always resentment from locals that feel they have to work harder for less money. But most barriers will break down if people spend time with each other and see that they have more in common than they have differences. The biggest problems come when everyone sticks with their 'own' people - then neither side will be able to 'adjust'.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:55 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's ridiculous. I'm sure some people think the way you describe, but otherwise, you are just generalizing. You demonstrate the whole damn problem--assigning characteristics to an entire group and proceeding to make up whhat "they" think and do.
Well I cannot speak for the whole city or the whole society. I can only talk about the experiences I made and the people I met. And about the local political decisions, electoral decisions and opinions in surveys made. Even in the cities it may not the view of the majority, but still it may be the view of the loudest people.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:02 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Going by the election the Democrats practically ignored all the rural people and got confident minorities/sjws/feminists and their ilk would be all that is needed to win, but obviously that wasn't the case.

I wonder though, do you think in general city people look down on rural people? Viewing them as dumb, racist, hillbillies, rednecks, etc.?

At no point did Hillary ever really even try to talk to the rural white people. Do liberals/democrats really feel that rural people should either be ignored or just move to the big city, go to a university like everyone else?
In my experience, many but not all city dwellers absolutely do look down on rural folks.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:06 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Going by the election the Democrats practically ignored all the rural people and got confident minorities/sjws/feminists and their ilk would be all that is needed to win, but obviously that wasn't the case.

I wonder though, do you think in general city people look down on rural people? Viewing them as dumb, racist, hillbillies, rednecks, etc.?

At no point did Hillary ever really even try to talk to the rural white people. Do liberals/democrats really feel that rural people should either be ignored or just move to the big city, go to a university like everyone else?
I grew up in a small town and retired in one. I lived in a city most of my life. What do I think of rural people. I have always felt comfortable with them and enjoyed them, until it comes to politics, and that is when I consider them ignorant. Other than that, they are kind, wonderful, giving, resourceful, knowledgeable, and can basically take care of themselves, especially those who live in mountain regions like the Appalachian Mountains.
But even then this is a generalization. They are a people who once voted for FDR and now vote against what is best for them. I can't say that the Democrats have really done much to help them, no one has since FDR, but the republicans do worse, and Trump only cares abut himself and his own taxes. Basically, I just think anyone who voted for Trump is a racist. Sorry, but he ran on racism.

But your question was, do city people look down on rural people. It depends upon the person. Who really looks down on rural people are the wealthy. They think that they are easily manipulated and dump. I know because I have been around wealthy people for years, and I don't think much of them for those reasons.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:08 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well I cannot speak for the whole city or the whole society. I can only talk about the experiences I made and the people I met. And about the local political decisions, electoral decisions and opinions in surveys made. Even in the cities it may not the view of the majority, but still it may be the view of the loudest people.
Ok, that's better.

I have never heard anyone in an urban area speak against the trucking industry, though. That's how stuff moves once it gets into our ports. I wonder how such people think things will get transported without trucks.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:15 AM

231 posts, read 228,993 times
People tend to look down on other people that aren't like them. So yes, city people look down on rural people.

I've lived in a mid sized city most of my life and have known both rural and city folk. People judge other people. Right or wrong, everyone does it.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:23 AM

231 posts, read 228,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Basically, I just think anyone who voted for Trump is a racist. Sorry, but he ran on racism..
This is the stupidest thing i ever hear about Trump. Considering the alternate candidate, we had little choice.

Besides, what specifically did trump say where you would cry racism? Not generally, but in a video or sounds clip?

Trump was never called a racist by anyone until the democrats dubbed him one when he began his presidential race.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:26 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
I grew up in a small town and retired in one. I lived in a city most of my life. What do I think of rural people. I have always felt comfortable with them and enjoyed them, until it comes to politics, and that is when I consider them ignorant. Other than that, they are kind, wonderful, giving, resourceful, knowledgeable, and can basically take care of themselves, especially those who live in mountain regions like the Appalachian Mountains.

But even then this is a generalization. They are a people who once voted for FDR and now vote against what is best for them. I can't say that the Democrats have really done much to help them, no one has since FDR, but the republicans do worse, and Trump only cares abut himself and his own taxes. Basically, I just think anyone who voted for Trump is a racist. Sorry, but he ran on racism.
"It was all about racism!" is a sad and over simplistic view. Democrats who come away from the 2016 election holding to that opinion aren't going to have learned anything useful. The vast majority of Trump supporters are absolutely not racist. I know quite a few and there's not a single racist in the bunch. A great many of them voted for Barack Obama actually, and for exactly the same reasons. They want somebody to make America great again -- a slogan that would have fit perfectly into Obama's 2008 campaign. They want jobs, prosperity and to be able to provide well for their families. I think you had the right of it in the first part of your post. Nobody is really helping these people. They voted for Trump because Hillary would have been more of the same and more of the same wasn't helping them.

I certainly didn't vote for Trump for a lot of reasons. Hateful rhetoric was a big one, but more than anything, I don't think Trump can accomplish what he's promised to do.

Quote:
But your question was, do city people look down on rural people. It depends upon the person. Who really looks down on rural people are the wealthy. They think that they are easily manipulated and dump. I know because I have been around wealthy people for years, and I don't think much of them for those reasons.
Go to the inner city projects and offer to resettle them onto a backwater ranch or farm in Montana or something like that. Then watch the looks of abject terror play across the faces in the group. They're going to be thinking many of the same sorts of things. "You're sending us to live with those filthy unwashed racist rednecks?? They'll probably kill us all!"

Far too many living in urban America considers rural America to be something very different from what it actually is.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:36 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:

Who really looks down on rural people are the wealthy. They think that they are easily manipulated and dump. I know because I have been around wealthy people for years, and I don't think much of them for those reasons.
The ironic thing about that..... those same wealthy people flock out of the city in droves each weekend, come up here to the mountains every weekend where us "uneducated" take their money that they throw at us and just laugh when they go back to their cesspool of corruption and crime. We then take that same money and use it for the good of our neighbors and community. I'm good with that.... Who's the stupid ones now?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnext81 View Post
The United States demographic is more liberal and progressive. The only reason trump won is because democrats sat there butts down and didn't vote. Had they come out like they did in 2012 that rural vote wouldn't have done nothing. Hillary took democratic vote for granted she felt entitled and it kicked her ass

Rural people I have no problem with. A lot of them need to get out and see the world versus the little bubble they are stuck in. One of my best friends who is white is from rural Kansas. He went to Hampton Univeristy with me. It was the first time in his life he had been around so many black people. His view changed quickly about blacks based on what he was told growing up.
And urban people need to do the same. They're just as clueless about people who live in rural Kansas as your friend was about blacks. Neither one knows anything about the lives, fears and dreams of the other. And if this election taught us anything it's that you can't ignore people for years and then expect them to vote for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies