Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times

Advertisements

I live next to NYC:

If it doesn't happen in NYC, LA, or San Fran it didn't really happen. They really DO NOT CARE AT ALL about anything outside of their NYC bubble. They live in their little island (figurative and literal) and wonder why the rest of the country doesn't think like they do.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I think it goes both ways. I've lived in rural areas and sometimes people are cautious of "city folks". I've also lived in city areas and people cannot fathom how anyone could live in a rural area.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
This thread makes it sound like all city people are elite. I can assure you that nothing is further from the truth. Especially in Los Angeles, where the median income is ~$57,000 per year. That sounds like a lot - until you realize that the rent for the average two-bedroom apartment is over $3,000. We have plenty of under privileged people here, and I'm not talking about illegals. I'm not sure what bubble you guys are talking about, but the "liberal elite" is probably only 5% of the population here. I'm liberal, yes, but I'm not an elite anything.

I don't look down on rural people. I look down on anyone swayed by sweeping rhetoric like, "Make America great again!" I look down on anyone who would vote for a man who has zero political experience, and is now in way over his head. I judge people for their voting choices, not for where they live. I'm just as upset with the wealthy Cuban Americans in Florida who voted for Trump as I am with the people living in the Midwest who think that Trump is going to magically bring back manufacturing jobs to the U.S. It doesn't matter what color you are, where you live, or what kind of car or truck you drive. What matters to me is that you were taken in by a charlatan who probably won't keep any of the promises he made on the campaign trail. And God help us if he does.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:51 AM

231 posts, read 228,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't look down on rural people. I look down on anyone swayed by sweeping rhetoric like, "Make America great again!" I look down on anyone who would vote for a man who has zero political experience, and is now in way over his head. I judge people for their voting choices, not for where they live. I'm just as upset with the wealthy Cuban Americans in Florida who voted for Trump as I am with the people living in the Midwest who think that Trump is going to magically bring back manufacturing jobs to the U.S. It doesn't matter what color you are, where you live, or what kind of car or truck you drive. What matters to me is that you were taken in by a charlatan who probably won't keep any of the promises he made on the campaign trail. And God help us if he does.
When our only other choice was crooked Hillary, how can you blame us?

Most who voted for Trump weren't under the illusion that he would magically change our country. We just hopped he would do better than a career politician who already swindled millions of dollars.

Besides, did Obama or any other president ever make good on all their promises?

Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Have you read the NYTimes, Washington Post, HuffPo, or ever watched any political talk shows, including abortions like The Daily Show or Real Time Bill Maher show? All flyover states are considered "rural" and their residents are all racist, xenophobic, stupid, uneducated and deplorable. The Progs have made their disdain for anyone not living on the coasts quite clear for almost a decade.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
I go skiing in a resort located in a pretty rural area. I bump into people who live locally in the area, many are highly educated white collar professionals who either work remotely or own their own business. You can often find more affluent people in rural areas than some inner city ghetto, where you have scores of unemployed young people rioting and trashing stuff in anti-Trump rallies.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:03 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I can easily bounce back and forth between city and country...but I live near the ocean in a more suburban setting.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnext81 View Post
One of my best friends who is white is from rural Kansas. He went to Hampton Univeristy with me. It was the first time in his life he had been around so many black people. His view changed quickly about blacks based on what he was told growing up.
But there's a flip side to that... We have a lot of Midwestern transplants here from rural areas of states like MN and WI, and I have heard some of them say they became more predjudiced after moving to the South and being around a lot of black people.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My goodness. Calm down. I could just as easily say rural people live in a bubble. They don't coexist with people different from themselves. They live in an echo chamber.

You actually think there are no minorities,LGTP people or even differing opinions in rural areas?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 AM

516 posts, read 429,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yes they do. They have a completely different view of the world. They think driving trucks is stupid, because they pullute the air and there would be a lack of parking spaces. They think that people from the countryside are stupid just because they make their living with honest hard work. The fact is, many are as educated as city people, just in different professions, such as agricultural, industrial, oil industry, or whatever else. They think it is stupid to own a gun, just because they have never met a wild animal in their live and never thought about that it may take hours for the police to arrive at their house once called 911.

As much as I love cities such as Boston/NYC/SFO/Chicago/Seattle, please aknowledge that those urban communities are not the majority of America, it is just a niche-way of living and does not represent the daily reality of America.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies