Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

I'm a moderate who voted for Clinton. Trump deserved to win. The American people spoke and I will respect the country's decision. I would never protest or destroy property. However, I am upset with protestors and today's youth. If they had given the same effort toward voting, their candidate would be in office.

And this is a problem that occurs all over the country. Democrats don't hold minorities and millennials responsible for voter apathy. I live in Phoenix. I didn't see any advertisements or promotional videos teaching people how to register to vote and the voting process. I didn't see any real effort to galvanize the Hispanic community here to vote. In general, it seems like Democrats and liberals want to expend more energy demonizing conservatives and Republicans than encouraging their own people to vote.

The voter apathy displayed by these people in inexcusable and now they want to protest. It's extremely disappointing to observe that. And with early ballot, you don't have to take time away from work or wait for hours in line at voting booths. They mail you a ballot to your home a month in advance. You simply drop off your ballot in the mail. How is that difficult? If Democrats and liberals can't do something as simple as that, they deserve to have their candidates lose elections.

It's called Laziness! Plain and simple, don't sugar coat it and look for other reasons to rationalize and justify voter apathy.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:12 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Because nothing "liberal" was on the ballot. Anericans had to choose between more "politics as usual" and white/Christian nationalism.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Because nothing "liberal" was on the ballot. Anericans had to choose between more "politics as usual" and white/Christian nationalism.
And.....

You would rather have white nationalism?

Again, you are just being an apologist for laziness. Democrats are lazy. There is no excuse for Trump winning. Democrats had the numbers. Their own people don't vote and Dems like yourself makes excuses for it instead of giving your own people a justified kick in their pants.

Republicans and conservatives are smiling at this because they know what I say is true. They expect to win because they know Democrats won't show up to vote. Next time, instead of protesting and destroying property, why don't you expend that same effort toward filling out a ballot and mailing it.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:19 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I tell everybody to vote. Every single election. But I suggest they vote their conscience, not mine. Because that's how it works.

I am not going to scream at "my people" for not turning out last Tuesday, any more than I screamed at non voter conservatives the past two elections.

You can not force anyone else to vote and it's pretty obvious that shaming people after the fact does nothing and is no motivator.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Non-voter here. I would rather be free to live my life as I see fit, working hard and caring for the few humans in my immediate proximity who truly matter to me, without having to put some huge 4.2 million strong Executive Branch up on a pedestal in my mind.

I voted against the system by not participating. Against the circus.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And.....

Again, you are just being an apologist for laziness. Democrats are lazy. There is no excuse for Trump winning. Democrats had the numbers. Their own people don't vote and Dems like yourself makes excuses for it instead of giving your own people a justified kick in their pants.

Republicans and conservatives are smiling at this because they know what I say is true. They expect to win because they know Democrats won't show up to vote. Next time, instead of protesting and destroying property, why don't you expend that same effort toward filling out a ballot and mailing it.
Hold on a second. I need to finish destroying property with some other liberals. I'll be back in a second...

Old 11-12-2016, 12:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,090 times
I've wondered this myself! It would be interesting to learn how many of the protesters out destroying property and showing signs that say "not my president" actually bothered to vote!

Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
With the electoral college, it does not make sense to reach out to Hispanic voters in Arizona. The Obama campaigns were better organized and Arizona still went with Romney. The election hinges on a few swing states. Reaching out to millennials and minorities in Ohio, Penn, Florida, Wisconsin, etc. might have helped and I suspect the campaign did so. But neither candidate was attractive to many of the voters and both were about 70 years old which didn't make them appealing to the young set. Trump got elected by the age 45+ white population. Getting younger people to vote has always been a problem. I hope the next four years causes some of these millennials to realize the importance of voting even if it means you are voting for the lesser of two evils. Like when they lose their health insurance at age 18 because they can't be covered by their parents until age 26. And again, Hillary won the popular vote and in most urban areas which includes a lot of the minorities.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:37 PM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Lots did not vote because they believed that they were privileged and democracy no longer existed...they thought that Hilary was a sure thing...why bother to vote...Well now they are shocked that democracy still exists....

Old 11-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
And.....

It's not laziness. It's a refusal to vote for the lesser of two evils.

(By the way, it was a lot of fun rioting with the other liberals. I'm all done now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies