Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:28 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Honestly-why not go further than the above proposals? Require every legal adult permitted under federal law to purchase a firearm and carry it for self defense. It's for the common good and would greatly reduce the violent crime rate. Levy draconian fines on those that refuse.

And it's certainly well established that the federal government has the ability to do so. Thanks Obama and Dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
In a word yes. "shall not be infringed" is a pretty simple, yet directive phrase. The different maze of laws state by state violates the equal protection clause as well. This is also what the anti-American gun grabbers are using to make as many law abiding citizens as possible into criminals.

The obvious solution to this oppressive strategy is a national law, pre-empting and forbidding lesser government agencies from deviating from it. And yes, this should be in Trump's top two or three "to do list" items.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, anti gun people have their rights too and I say this as a married woman to life member of the NRA. HIS guns were locked up in a safe when we still had young kids in our home. They still are today without kids by my choice. I have to live in the same household and do not want to be around them, do not want to learn to shoot them, go to the range, or go anywhere with him when he is carrying. He gets to keep his guns, and I get to have nothing to do with them. Is this ok for you?

There has to be compromise on this issue. I do not want Trump or the NRA telling me I must own a gun or know how to use one.
You are entitled to your rights as much as your spouse is. And what arrangements the two of you have is between yourself and your souse.

I have never tried to force anyone to own a firearm. I have never forced anyone who did not want to try and shoot a firearm to try and shoot with it.

Both my mother & my wife really don't like firearms, the do understand the need to have them, but they don't care for them at all. My wife has been shooting with me. In most cases even when invited she chooses NOT to go. Ok no pressure, I go with my friend, or other family.

My wife does have a Carry Conceal Permit, but hardly ever takes a firearm with her.

When I have young children in the house, my firearms are locked up. And when a child or someone else gets a hold of a firearm due to negligence of the firearm owner, I think that firearm owner should also be held accountable.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:00 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, anti gun people have their rights too and I say this as a married woman to life member of the NRA. HIS guns were locked up in a safe when we still had young kids in our home. They still are today without kids by my choice. I have to live in the same household and do not want to be around them, do not want to learn to shoot them, go to the range, or go anywhere with him when he is carrying. He gets to keep his guns, and I get to have nothing to do with them. Is this ok for you?

There has to be compromise on this issue. I do not want Trump or the NRA telling me I must own a gun or know how to use one.
You anti gun nuts are really something, how do you come up with such fiction? No one thinks you must own a gun or know how to use one. If you want to remain ignorant about them go right ahead, but don't expect anyone to take your opinion seriously. The difference is 2nd amendment supporters aren't trying to restrict you, while people like you are trying to restrict everyone else. There has been nothing but compromise with anti gun nuts but you're never satisfied. You have no idea what the laws are and continue to push for more of them.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:26 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The Constitution says the people have the right to keep and bear arms, not the responsibility to do so. This is about what restrictions the government, at any level, can impose on citizens.

I think there was some town in Georgia that required every household to own a gun,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly-why not go further than the above proposals? Require every legal adult permitted under federal law to purchase a firearm and carry it for self defense. It's for the common good and would greatly reduce the violent crime rate. Levy draconian fines on those that refuse.

And it's certainly well established that the federal government has the ability to do so. Thanks Obama and Dems.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
In a word yes. "shall not be infringed" is a pretty simple, yet directive phrase. The different maze of laws state by state violates the equal protection clause as well. This is also what the anti-American gun grabbers are using to make as many law abiding citizens as possible into criminals.

The obvious solution to this oppressive strategy is a national law, pre-empting and forbidding lesser government agencies from deviating from it. And yes, this should be in Trump's top two or three "to do list" items.
This. The whole "shall not be infringed" should be the law unless we have a constitutional amendment. And I mean that the guy who just got out of prison for killing his wife should be able to go buy a gun that day.

Because thats the constitution.

That being said, I would also be great with passing a constitutional amendment to have some reasonable laws such as violent felons, or felons who committed a crime with a gun should be barred. Maybe some clarity saying the second amendment does not apply to weapons of mass destruction such as chemical, biological, and nuclear arms.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:38 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You anti gun nuts are really something, how do you come up with such fiction? No one thinks you must own a gun or know how to use one.
No one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
The Right wing was scared that President Obama was supposed to take your GUNS away and here we are 8 Years laters where nothing of the sort has occurred and we are shooting kids in schools and black men being shot on video.

Now we have 30,000 Americans shot to death every year by homicide.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:29 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
^
He wanted to, but Republican control of Congress stopped him.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:37 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And I mean that the guy who just got out of prison for killing his wife should be able to go buy a gun that day.
The better idea is to not let someone who killed his wife out of jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies