Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
A few reasons why trump won and Hillary lost and why I was not only not surprised but I was predicting this outcome including Michigan going to trump.

1. When a party goes with next up candidate who came in 2nd last time they lose.

2. The media was so one sided it made trump the victim and people love the underdog and victim.

3. The assumption that Hillary was going to win pissed off a lot of people and that gets people to vote against her just for that reason.

4. Wiki leaks

5. Alt media

6. 8 year cycle is typical for a party in power 12 max. Then it switches look at history.

7. Hillary was just a very bad candidate

8. Bills baggage. His presidency had lots of scandals and seeing the same reminded people of it and they didn't want to go thru that again.

9. Hillarys policies? She ran on what? She's not trump? More of same of Obama? I am still not sure what her polices were.

10. And most important #nerverhillary must have been around 45% of the electorate and they either voted trump, Johnson, stein or stayed home.
#1 is not set in stone, or do you not remember Reagan challenging Ford in the 76 primary and losing, but getting the nomination and winning in 80?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:15 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Although Hillary got more votes than Donald (in any other country she would be the winner) she is the loser. On paper, she had so many advantages....It should have been a walk in the park:
1) media support
2) money, donations, fundraising
3) the DNC with all its resources behind her
4) as a woman - she should have cared women votes from all over the country
5) rich experience with elections. For Donald it was a first time.

But, Donald did remarkably well in spite of fighting an uphill battle.

However, the BIGGEST loserers are the American people. The coming years will tell the whole story.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
#1 is not set in stone, or do you not remember Reagan challenging Ford in the 76 primary and losing, but getting the nomination and winning in 80?
That was the exception to the rule. It might be because ford was hand picked as president which he never won, and was an incumbent because of that which gave unfair influence on him winning a very close contested convention. Without that incumbency Reagan would have been the choice in 1976 and carter would never have been president ever. So 1980 was a fix to that mistake.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Very well said OP!

Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

However, the BIGGEST loserers are the American people. The coming years will tell the whole story.
We've been losing the last 8 years. Many of us are optimistic the next 8 will be better.

One reason Trump was elected and Hillary was not.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:19 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Can I add another to yours?

#10... The republican's finally...finally... realized that we didn't need the name Bush associated with the General election. Can you imagine what this election would have been like had it been ex-wife of a President vs. Bush 3.0? Now that would have been same old same old politicians...
That is true too. If that had happened I honestly don't know who I would have voted for.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We've been losing the last 8 years. Many of us are optimistic the next 8 will be better.
Trillions in tax breaks for the big money donor class and subsequent huge cuts in social security and Medicare to fund it is not good for the 99%. Neither is eliminating all restrictions on legalized bribery in politics which Trump's new Supreme Court justice will push for as advocated by justice Scalia who Trump says he loves. The combination of a rapid increase in income and wealth inequality and no more restrictions on bribery in politics is really quite devastating for 99% of Americans.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:43 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
except
he is not that successful - see BK's and suits
he does not work well with others- just his yes men family
negotiate he already bombed the generals- and his first security meeting being-adversarial
loves his country or a part of it---?
wants nothing more?- keeping his business and will run the office of pres-- part time--
good- to all AMERICANS? he already threw how many under the bus-
Obviously you dislike the man, hate him even, as per instructions from your party. So you go right ahead and believe all those half-truths, distortions and lies lobbed at him from his political opponents, and others who regard him as a threat to their comfy global positions, if that is what makes your day.. It's not as though facts will get in the way of your perception of the guy anyway.

For me, he has been elected fair and square, despite the stumbling blocks and nastiness put out there by his opponents. I prefer to give him a chance.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am a small d Democrat and strongly supported Bernie Sanders. Our party was captured by the Clinton Cabal and completely forgot that the workers and farmers that lived in the "fly over country" were the Democratic Party's core. IMHO what we really need is a return of the Industrial Workers of the World (as well as service workers and scientists). We need the Wobblies now as does the rest of the world.

I believe these voters made a substantial mistake in judgment by assuming that The Donald either understood or really cares about anyone or thing else than himself. I think he is incapable of being anything more then a super salesman.

However, as he is the President Elect at the front of a Republican party that consists of a set of groups that range from the lowest of the racist hate groups like the KKK to the highest of American Plutocracy he will have a lot of trouble reconciling the internal Republican differences let alone the needs of the mid country middle class that he sold, what I consider, a bill of false promises. He will have problems being a President without becoming a dictator.

I will be watching whatever he tries to do very carefully.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so i guess pushing for lower taxes, and fewer regulations is somehow unfavorable to the middle class?
Guesswork is usually wrong.

The past 35 years of tax cuts/trickle down/deregulation have gutted the middle class and sent all the rewards of economic progress to the top few percent; the ones who need it the least. Meanwhile, real inflation-adjusted income for working Americans has stagnated for decades.

You should already know this. No doubt you've probably lived it, like millions of other Americans and me. Trump voters felt it but elected a billionaire who sits atop the system that holds them back. Not that Hillary would have done much to reverse the trend, either.

"The bank always wins."

Always.

Amusing that some feel the banks are their allies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies