Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

JimRom; to claim that progressives have pushed TPP is factually wrong. Bernie Sanders have been pushing hard against NAFTA, TPP and all other trade deals for decades along with other progressives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XIgEK6heM

I dont see a problem with trade schools and public colleges being tuition free so working stiffs can get the same opportunities to succeed as lazy children of rich parents who dont have to worry about tuition as their parents pay for them anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaW32ZTyKE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:42 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

I dont see a problem with trade schools and public colleges being tuition free so working stiffs can get the same opportunities to succeed as lazy children of rich parents who dont have to worry about tuition as their parents pay for them anyway.
Then open your checkbook and pay for some student. I'm sure they would appreciate it...... I've paid my children's tuition... I'm done. Now I've got a limited amount of time to save for retirement since it looks like all the social security I've had taken out for 40 years is said to be gone by the time I retire......

Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Then open your checkbook and pay for some student. I'm sure they would appreciate it...... I've paid my children's tuition... I'm done. Now I've got a limited amount of time to save for retirement since it looks like all the social security I've had taken out for 40 years is said to be gone by the time I retire......
That is a false equivalency, everyone chipping in a little bit through taxes is not the same thing as one person shelling out several years' income for one student

Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 3,732,527 times
You guys have been at this since Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle." Take a break and enjoy life. Throw a biodegradable candy wrapper on the ground, look at it, and just walk away. Maybe it'll feed good.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
JimRom; to claim that progressives have pushed TPP is factually wrong. Bernie Sanders have been pushing hard against NAFTA, TPP and all other trade deals for decades along with other progressives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XIgEK6heM
Point made, and it looks like the TPP will wither and die like it should anyway. That doesn't change the fact that free trade deals are a step toward globalism, which is a progressive mantra. Globalism is also the death knell for skilled trades in the US.

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaW32ZTyKE
You really think the lazy children of rich parents are going to public universities? They'll still be going to be well ahead of the curve compared to the working class. Making public universities free won't change that, but it will change the value of a college degree - and not for the better. More than half the jobs available in the United States don't require a college degree right now. Make college free, and see that number drop like a rock. Very similar to how you didn't need a high school diploma to get a job in the 50s and 60s, but now very few industries will even look at you if you don't have one.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
If you want to protect social security, stop voting for people who wants to eliminate it.

Regarding education, you benefit from living in a more educated society where people earn more and pay more taxes. Thats the basis for having tuition free K-12. Are you against tuition free K-12 and pre-school as well? Social darwinism is not the answer if we want to compete with the rest of the world. Other countries are investing in their people while we continue to invest in bailouts, perpetual warmongering, no-bid government contracts and gifts to big pharma and other DC lobbyists. Thats not sustainable.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That is a false equivalency, everyone chipping in a little bit through taxes is not the same thing as one person shelling out several years' income for one student
the problem though is, it isnt a little bit in taxes, but rather a LOT more in taxes. since the tax payers would be paying the tuition and books for something like 168 division one universities, god know how many division two and three universities, and again god knows how many technical schools, in addition to all the high schools, grade schools, middle schools, etc.

you want to bring the cost of secondary educations down? get the damned federal government OUT of the education business, including the student loan business.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Point made, and it looks like the TPP will wither and die like it should anyway. That doesn't change the fact that free trade deals are a step toward globalism, which is a progressive mantra. Globalism is also the death knell for skilled trades in the US.

You really think the lazy children of rich parents are going to public universities? They'll still be going to be well ahead of the curve compared to the working class. Making public universities free won't change that, but it will change the value of a college degree - and not for the better. More than half the jobs available in the United States don't require a college degree right now. Make college free, and see that number drop like a rock. Very similar to how you didn't need a high school diploma to get a job in the 50s and 60s, but now very few industries will even look at you if you don't have one.
Are you against free K-12 as well because it reduces the value of a high school degree? If you dont want chidren of working class folks to be educated unless their parents have enough money, we are effectively creating a pure aristocracy like we saw in the medieval times. We should not go back to the middle ages as it would be terrible for the working stiffs. Having tuition free pre-school through college gives the working class a chance to compete against lazy children of rich parents.

Progressive trade deals are not about selling out the American workers. You are confusing Wall Street democrats with New Dealers.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:54 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Just explain to me.... Just why am I responsible for someone else? Did I give birth to them? No. Are they some long lost distant relatives I don't know about? Am I responsible for their food, their housing, their cell phones and their health care too? No. The fact is the only person that I am legally responsible for is me. Now I chose to be responsible for others, my husband, my children when I gave birth to them. I choose to be responsible for my aging parents who I am financially assisting. I also choose to assist my new granddaughter and have started an educational account for her. But I am in no way responsible for you, or any other person. The fact is, you want something for nothing and you want that something paid for by others. And I don't care if this is politically correct or not.... No Freaking Way........ Call me greedy, I'm old and I'm tired of others having their hands in my pocket. Earn your own damn way........

Old 11-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem though is, it isnt a little bit in taxes, but rather a LOT more in taxes. since the tax payers would be paying the tuition and books for something like 168 division one universities, god know how many division two and three universities, and again god knows how many technical schools, in addition to all the high schools, grade schools, middle schools, etc.

you want to bring the cost of secondary educations down? get the damned federal government OUT of the education business, including the student loan business.
Thats not true. Tuition free public college costs $70 billion per year, in comparison the Iraq war will cost $3 trillion per year or 50 years' worth of tuition free college. People are seriously overestimating the cost of tuition in public universities. Its 0.4% of annual GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies