Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,552,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Over the past eight years, the religious right has been painted as an aging, dying breed that is on its way out. In a sense, that has been true, but I think the left has vastly underestimated them and their prominence.

A few things during the Obama years stirred up the hornets nest that is today's religious right. First, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" The second is the supreme court decision to legalize gay marriage. The third was Obama lighting the White House with rainbow colors the night of the marriage decision and lastly (and the big one), Obama's instruction to allow public schools to let transgender students use the bathroom of their choice.

These events have awakened what is an aging, sleeping giant and it's likely we are headed into another "Moral Majority" era like the 1980s. These people want a quasi-dictatorship in which the Federal government is a strong arm of the Southern Baptist church. They don't believe in separation of church and state and believe the First Amendment only applies to Christianity as defined by them. Left unopposed, we very much could be headed towards a society like the one in the movie "V for Vendetta." One of the hallmarks of that society I can definitely see happening in this country is heavy censorship of the media and a national curfew as well as banning of certain genres of literature.

It's a scary time to live in this country if you support freedom for all and value separation of church and state.
I'm not sure about this. I know there is a a religious right, and I know they are angry about a lot of what has happened over the past eight years, but it seems to me that Cruz would have been a more natural choice for them. Trump is hardly a poster boy for the "family values" they claim to hold so dear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you think the religious right was the driving factor here you are being naive. I'd suggest reading this local article from my area that will give you snapshot of those that voted for Obama and flipped for Trump.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

The left need to adult up and stop trying to blame religion, racism, homophobes, womanizers, and anything else but the person looking at them in the mirror.

This is exactly why Trump won

Period!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,865,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is much simpler than that. Obamacare destroyed the middle class & when the premiums for 2017 were released, Hillary lost elections that day. Church attendance has been declining over the years whereas 'unity' places of worship that welcome all faiths have been on the rise so its not at all dramatic as you described in your post. You cannot preach to a hungry crowd. All our first world problems were replaced by third world corruption, violence, poverty & unemployment. Fake polls & made up statistics dont fool us. We voted for Trump because we were caught in a downward spiral for the past 8yrs so we chose to get out of an abuse relationship with the democrats & save ourselves. A lot of us here voted for democrats but we couldnt afford another expensive democrat president so we cut our losses & voted for an affordable Trump presidency.
Good Post, but the Clintons Staff and Obama have been taking shots at the Catholic Church Recently. Christian in general have been taking synod comments from the left for years.

Just maybe this may be retribution to those who denies God and the Holly Sprit is alive and well!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:46 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,437,691 times
Spare me the "religious" part.

Trump is not what I've seen portrayed as a Godly" man in any way, shape or form.

Looks to me as though the American Taliban was willing to suborn their supposed principles to get someone who promised them a sympathetic Supreme Court that would look more favorably on Christian Sharia.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:46 PM

421 posts, read 203,986 times
Nah, i would say it was just anger "in general". People are PISSED by the crappy Obama economy, and they expressed that anger at the ballot-box.

Pretty simple to understand

I'm surprised lefties continue to push this "racist white red-neck" narrative, I know a number of Trump supporters and none of them fall under this "racist white red-neck" stereotype pushed by the media. America has spoken, i don't know why leftists can't just "accept the results of the election" and get over it. You leftists really have no one to blame but yourselves, i mean you had both the establishment AND the media backing your candidate heavily..... there is NO excuse for you guys losing, just quit whining already

Old 11-14-2016, 12:51 PM

77,013 posts, read 47,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not sure about this. I know there is a a religious right, and I know they are angry about a lot of what has happened over the past eight years, but it seems to me that Cruz would have been a more natural choice for them. Trump is hardly a poster boy for the "family values" they claim to hold so dear.
Christians used to vote for Dems based on the teachings of Jesus about helping the poor, sick, and feeding the hungry, but then the abortion issue was inserted and hijacked by Republicans. Since the 1980s the decision for Christians has been very simple: vote Republicans because Dems are pro-choice and for gay marriage. These elections were more complicated, because Christians had to decide if it was ok to vote for someone like Trump, who brags about molesting women, uses profanity and talks about punching people in the face etc. I would not be surprised if many Christians skipped the elections.

I don't think there was ever a danger of Christian vote going back to Dems. I do not see that happening any time soon since they have chosen to embrace and defend abortion and gay marriage.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,883,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No doubt they're pleased with having a vulgar, profane sexual predator as their champion.
Grand delusions....

Many local voters flipped for Trump - News - Citizens' Voice

Comment from a life long Democrat:
Quote:
A real estate developer and property manager, Woodrosky said she was able to look past some of Trump’s misgivings and comments about women. She instead based her vote on her top concerns: pocketbook issues like the economy, trade and health care.
Comment from a Sanders supporter:
Quote:
Miscavage feels the primary election was rigged in Clinton’s favor by Democratic party bosses. He later changed his registration to Republican.
Comment from a former Democrat and Obama supporter:
Quote:
Raised as a Democrat, she switched her party affiliation before April’s primary election to vote for Trump. The licensed practical nurse had voted for Obama twice.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Spare me the "religious" part.

Trump is not what I've seen portrayed as a Godly" man in any way, shape or form.

Looks to me as though the American Taliban was willing to suborn their supposed principles to get someone who promised them a sympathetic Supreme Court that would look more favorably on Christian Sharia.
More insanity from the irrational children on the left. No interest in truth and discussion, just spouting off whatever vile thing comes into your head.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:58 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,984,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is much simpler than that. Obamacare destroyed the middle class & when the premiums for 2017 were released, Hillary lost elections that day. Church attendance has been declining over the years whereas 'unity' places of worship that welcome all faiths have been on the rise so its not at all dramatic as you described in your post. You cannot preach to a hungry crowd. All our first world problems were replaced by third world corruption, violence, poverty & unemployment. Fake polls & made up statistics dont fool us. We voted for Trump because we were caught in a downward spiral for the past 8yrs so we chose to get out of an abuse relationship with the democrats & save ourselves. A lot of us here voted for democrats but we couldnt afford another expensive democrat president so we cut our losses & voted for an affordable Trump presidency.
Yeah, well, the part about the downward spiral is correct, the 8 years part is about 22 years off as is the blaming the Democrats part. The rust belt has been in decline for decades due mostly to socioeconomic factors outside of politics, but the first President who actually actively screwed those people was Reagan. The growth of middle class incomes started decreasing under Reagan while the growth of those at the top has gone up dramatically. The GOP answer to this is, and has been since Reagan, to cut taxes on the top even more. Trickle down economics has basically been the law of the land since Reagan. And, despite what a radical leftist Obama supposedly is, tax rates were much lower under him then under Richard Nixon.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,296,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

It's a scary time to live in this country if you support freedom for all and value separation of church and state.
Good lord, you people are a whiny and petulant group.

Let's see...it's Comey's fault, white people (for voting), black people (for not voting), people who voted third party, it's Putin's fault, it's Wikileaks fault...and I'm just scratching the surface.

Democrats, your candidate sucked. As does your message. After 8 years of Obama the GOP is now firmly in control of DC and most states.

Quit blaming everyone else and get to work. The worse thing that could happen to America is a one state party. Start kicking some azz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies