Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The terms "special snowflakes" and "safe spaces" didn't enter my lexicon until I started participating on this website. I assume these two memes originated in the far-right talk radio universe as a way to denigrate young people. It's also an insult to people of all ages who suffer from anxiety disorders.

Grumpy old men need to get their jollies somehow.
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The terms "special snowflakes" and "safe spaces" didn't enter my lexicon until I started participating on this website. I assume these two memes originated in the far-right talk radio universe as a way to denigrate young people. It's also an insult to people of all ages who suffer from anxiety disorders.

Grumpy old men need to get their jollies somehow.
The irony here is overwhelming.

I don't think you really know what an anxiety disorder looks like.

I'm sure you know the bastardized SJW version of it but if you knew about legit anxiety disorders you would know that the culture and situations people mock by using terms like "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" are harmful to people with anxiety issues.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Okay! So we've got a couple of examples in the thread, and that's always a good thing.

But OP, as you already know, I'm with you. The worst of all groups are the ones who get media attention, and that's how they're judged by a lot of people. Most are great.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Sorry, but if the special snowflakes were such a small minority, colleges wouldn't be taking such steps to protect them from fear and anxiety.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Another right wing media lemming meme.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
We don't have this "safe space" culture where I'm from.

When I was in university, we discussed issues and sometimes disagreed, but things rarely ever got heated to the point where people felt uncomfortable. It was very respectful and civilised. Maybe it's more an American thing?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Another right wing media lemming meme.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sacbee....113811743.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...to-calm-fears/

Colleges Try to Comfort Students Upset by Trump Victory - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I have several friends with millennial children. Several have served in the military. Others are working and going to college. Others are in or recently graduated from apprenticeships. All are smart, hard working and successful. And all regard the thumb sucking idiots in the fetal position at Cornell and other universities as drama queens.

Snowflakes seem to be a phenomena of large urban areas. You don't see that so much in rural areas or smaller cities.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but if the special snowflakes were such a small minority, colleges wouldn't be taking such steps to protect them from fear and anxiety.
Ever hear the phrase, "The squeakiest wheel gets the grease"? That's what this is. They're the loudest, most obnoxious and demanding, so they get attention.

It's like the parent who has five kids and one is having a tantrum. Only 20% of the kids is having a meltdown but that's the one everyone is looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have several friends with millennial children. Several have served in the military. Others are working and going to college. Others are in or recently graduated from apprenticeships. All are smart, hard working and successful. And all regard the thumb sucking idiots in the fetal position at Cornell and other universities as drama queens.

Snowflakes seem to be a phenomena of large urban areas. You don't see that so much in rural areas or smaller cities.
I'm in the suburbs and we've got our share.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
We don't have this "safe space" culture where I'm from.

When I was in university, we discussed issues and sometimes disagreed, but things rarely ever got heated to the point where people felt uncomfortable. It was very respectful and civilised. Maybe it's more an American thing?
I think it is. Consider yourself lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies