Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times

Advertisements

Is $5Million really that much for the D.C. housing market? I know normal, average working professionals who live in the burbs of DC and paid nearly $1Mil for houses that would cost a quarter of the price where I live. For heaven's sake, he didn't buy a $100M penthouse, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Is $5Million really that much for the D.C. housing market? I know normal, average working professionals who live in the burbs of DC and paid nearly $1Mil for houses that would cost a quarter of the price where I live. For heaven's sake, he didn't buy a $100M penthouse, right?
As said, it is a very, very swanky area. It is in the same league as Beverly Hills.

So no. It is no more typical of DC than Beverly Hills is of Los Angeles.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As said, it is a very, very swanky area. It is in the same league as Beverly Hills.

So no. It is no more typical of DC than Beverly Hills is of Los Angeles.
Obviously, it's a swanky area, but it doesn't seem over-the-top to me. He's a former president. Obviously he isn't going to go live in a working class area.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Obviously, it's a swanky area, but it doesn't seem over-the-top to me. He's a former president. Obviously he isn't going to go live in a working class area.
Take a walk through it sometime. Reminds one of both Paris and Oslo.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
A lot of cultural events are held on Embassy Row as well. I've been to concerts at the French Embassy many times.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
I was recently thinking about Obama leaving office (thank god) and online, pops up an article about Obama's new 5+ million dollar house in DC (oh the irony based on the fact that he wants to redistribute all the wealth in this country yet he is allowed to live in a lavish mansion). I looked up the address and noticed something. It is surrounded by Embassy of Oman, Turkey, Japan, Belize, and India. I then remembered that Hillary's house is right up the road and her house too is surrounded by embassies (Italy, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Denmark, New Zealand, and Bolivia).

Why is this? Added security measures for the ex-pres/FLOTUS? Political favors?

I just seems rather sketchy based off the fact that both Obama and Hillary (especially her) have a reputation for pushing more globalist policies and you wonder why they would buy a house located next to foreign government embassies.

With the fact that money is clearly not an issue for them, why not buy a house in Georgetown, Bethesda, Potomac, areas in VA?
How many ex-presidents have bought homes near embassies?

I expected a list of same and yet all I see is yet another Obama-bashing post.

Surely when that article popped up, it must have noted WHY the Obamas are staying in DC?????
It must have also noted that the Obamas did not BUY the residence but are renting.

If not, probably need better sources.

"But the president has a good reason for staying in the nation's capital: Obama wants his youngest daughter, Sasha, to finish high school in D.C., according to Politico, which first reported the news of the Obama's future Kalorama residence."

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1637...ouching-reason

Old 11-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
A lot of cultural events are held on Embassy Row as well. I've been to concerts at the French Embassy many times.
Not to be anal, but the French Embassy is located in Georgetown rather than Embassy Row.

The French Embassy is located on Reservoir Road across from GU Hospital.

Embassy Row is a nickname for Massachusetts Avenue from roughly 34th street to Dupont Circle.

The two are several miles apart.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not to be anal, but the French Embassy is located in Georgetown rather than Embassy Row.

The French Embassy is located on Reservoir Road across from GU Hospital.

Embassy Row is a nickname for Massachusetts Avenue from roughly 34th street to Dupont Circle.

The two are several miles apart.
As a 65 year resident of the area, I am aware of the above.

My previous post could most charitably be described as "disjointed".

Old 11-15-2016, 02:10 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How many ex-presidents have bought homes near embassies?

I expected a list of same and yet all I see is yet another Obama-bashing post.

Surely when that article popped up, it must have noted WHY the Obamas are staying in DC?????
It must have also noted that the Obamas did not BUY the residence but are renting.

If not, probably need better sources.

"But the president has a good reason for staying in the nation's capital: Obama wants his youngest daughter, Sasha, to finish high school in D.C., according to Politico, which first reported the news of the Obama's future Kalorama residence."

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1637...ouching-reason
How does Barack afford $22K month rent and private school on a government retirement of $400k? His wife is unemployed and neither have a law license.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
He bought it thinking that he'd get a position in a Hillary Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies