Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times

Advertisements

from what I read, Lebron didn't call Phil Jackson racist. He said he lost respect for him. One of Lebron's business partners was the one who made the accusation. Some of you may not get why a few black people who conduct business with each other would take offense to being called a "posse". There's just a bit of "we don't take blacks serious in a business sense, they just Lebron's little posse".

Either way, sometimes when you're black and you do hear these dog whistles day in and day out, something little like this can set you off and you just get fed up. I don't expect many here to give a *****, but just stating what some of us experience. Lebron and his business partners probably heard a lot worse and this time today they got fed up. It's that simple. And it doesn't help when people in the media blow it up as if Lebron is ready to fight Phil Jackson. He just responded to comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 02:11 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Posse is definitely code language for "freeloading black guys who leech off someone successful". Bron&Maverick have every right to be pissed

Old 11-15-2016, 02:16 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Posse is definitely code language for "freeloading black guys who leech off someone successful". Bron&Maverick have every right to be pissed
Thanks for the insight Merriam-Webster.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:16 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We? Taking those French classes again, huh?

Why didn't Riley express his opinion to James privately?

They don't like their business group characterized as a posse and for damn good reason. If you're black, this should be well understood.

Maybe you aren't taken seriously, but speak for yourself.
Shut up...

Please SHUT UP!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5630ef10d9.jpg

Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
For whatever it's worth, I have never heard a white person speak of his (or her) friends as a "posse," nor have I ever heard the term used to describe a group of white people. No racism may have been intended consciously, but when I hear the word, I assume the speaker is talking about black guys. It's not an outright slur, but there are implications there.

Why not just say "your friends?"

And yeah, I know about John Wayne and cowboys and all that, but I don't see many cowboys around these days.

And before anyone accuses me of being oversensitive, I'm white. And no, I don't have guilt issues.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
For whatever it's worth, I have never heard a white person speak of his (or her) friends as a "posse," nor have I ever heard the term used to describe a group of white people. No racism may have been intended consciously, but when I hear the word, I assume the speaker is talking about black guys. It's not an outright slur, but there are implications there.

Why not just say "your friends?"

And yeah, I know about John Wayne and cowboys and all that, but I don't see many cowboys around these days.

And before anyone accuses me of being oversensitive, I'm white. And no, I don't have guilt issues.
Incorrect.

I used the word all the time in my younger days and still do on occasion.

Don't tell me how to speak.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM

451 posts, read 235,913 times
Who is this Lebron James person you speak of? IS he a politician, a scientist, a professor, a Nobel Prize winner, a renowned author or musician? Why is he important? IS he on the verge of curing cancer or diabetes? Never heard of him.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Incorrect.

I used the word all the time in my younger days and still do on occasion.

Don't tell me how to speak.
Hostile much?

I didn't say it never happened, I said I had never heard it.

And the phrase "why not" is hardly an order.

Keep your panties on.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,602 times
This isn't a color issue.

This is a culture issue, more specifically a "hip hop" generation culture issue of stupid people.

I really despise the "hip hop" generation culture. Thugs, idiots, racists, chauvinist, seriously, dumb as a stump people.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:31 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Old white guy; before this I linked posse with people rounding up cattle thieves in John Wayne westerns.
Didn't know you had to be of a specific race to use the English word Posse? Sounds like an issue of cultural appropriation again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies