Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Twelve-month long drop in world temperatures wipes out a century of warming...

DailyTech - Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

Yes, I know that one unusually harsh winter does not by itself disprove the theory of anthropogenic global warming . And I also know that some models of global warming predict extreme weather events of all kinds. But how cold does it have to get before the global warmists start treating their theory as a theory instead of as an axiom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
Better not throw those old fashioned light bulbs out just yet. We might need them for heat Mr. Gore :-)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Yes, I know that one unusually harsh winter does not by itself disprove the theory of anthropogenic global warming . And I also know that some models of global warming predict extreme weather events of all kinds. But how cold does it have to get before the global warmists start treating their theory as a theory instead of as an axiom?
How dare you post this. The debate is over.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM

246 posts, read 873,276 times
Quote:

Can't believe everything you read!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Try clicking on the source of the article for a longer-term graph and note that you are looking at a zoomed-in data point

January 2008 - 4 sources say “globally cooler†in the past 12 months « Watts Up With That?

also note this statement from the report's author (at that link)
Quote:
UPDATE AND CAVEAT:

The website DailyTech has an article citing this blog entry as a reference, and their story got picked up by the Drudge report, resulting in a wide distribution. In the DailyTech article there is a paragraph:

“Anthony Watts compiled the results of all the sources. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C — a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year time. For all sources, it’s the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.â€

I wish to state for the record, that this statement is not mine: “–a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 yearsâ€

There has been no “erasureâ€. This is an anomaly with a large magnitude, and it coincides with other anecdotal weather evidence. It is curious, it is unusual, it is large, it is unexpected, but it does not “erase†anything. I suggested a correction to DailyTech and they have graciously complied.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Try clicking on the source of the article for a longer-term graph and note that you are looking at a zoomed-in data point

January 2008 - 4 sources say “globally cooler†in the past 12 months « Watts Up With That?

also note this statement from the report's author (at that link)
I assume, then, that you would prefer to consider global warming and cooling a cyclical phenomenon. I would, too.

I only posted this link to demonstrate the essential fatuousness of demagoguery. Thank you for helping me make my point.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
I assume, then, that you would prefer to consider global warming and cooling a cyclical phenomenon. I would, too.

I only posted this link to demonstrate the essential fatuousness of demagoguery. Thank you for helping me make my point.
Since the link you posted was involved in demagoguery with respect to the original article, I don't believe I helped your point.

Certainly it's a natural cyclical phenomenon. One that human activities have interfered with and spurred into overdrive.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times

The trend is up. Al Gore could be right, if this is the beginning of a wildly fluctuating swing. Wasn't one of his opinions that patterns would get out of whack?

Not a Gorephite. Just happen to think it's part of the natural cycle and worrying about it isn't going to stop anything.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Just wait till summer when the eco-liars come out and say that all this heat is from global warming. I guess they expected summers to be cold. As for those who advocate carbon dioxide as the "magical" culprit in their delusions, they would say if the temperature is warming then its due to global warming, if its cold then its due to global warming, if it widely fluctuates then it is due to global warming., if it doesn't fluctuate then that's also global warming.. put simply is NOTHING that isn't due to global warming... I don't even think they know if there is anything that isn't due to global warming.. too bad physics doesn't agree with them.. global warming from CO2 is a sham, always have and always will be... then the news is talking about carbon credits and APPLYING it to people instead of companies... great another corporate greed machine trying to get into your pockets..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

The trend is up. Al Gore could be right, if this is the beginning of a wildly fluctuating swing. Wasn't one of his opinions that patterns would get out of whack?

Not a Gorephite. Just happen to think it's part of the natural cycle and worrying about it isn't going to stop anything.
Wow, that graph goes back to the beginning of the earth. Oh wait...what's that number...1800?

It must be all our fault then, surely it wasn't warmer than this when the dinosaurs were around or when they made wine in England in the 1500's when it was warmer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies