Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:01 PM

421 posts, read 205,241 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already to be honest, I think Bernie Sanders movement was the closest thing to an "alt left" (before he sold out to HRC). Alt-right on the other hand is already well established, with tons of popular blogs/forums/websites/figure-heads. My guess is that back-to-back losses to the left in 2008 and 2012 caused some righties to "go underground" and form an alternative ideology. I wonder if something similar will happen on the left.

Will there be an "alt left" that emerges from the rubble and is more "in touch" with everyday people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't happened already to be honest, I think Bernie Sanders movement was the closest thing to an "alt left" (before he sold out to HRC). Alt-right on the other hand is already well established, with tons of popular blogs/forums/websites/figure-heads. My guess is that back-to-back losses to the left in 2008 and 2012 caused some righties to "go underground" and form an alternative ideology. I wonder if something similar will happen on the left.

Will there be an "alt left" that emerges from the rubble and is more "in touch" with everyday people?
No.

What is considered the mainstream left is already way out of touch with regular folks.

Joe Blow working as a sales rep in Akron, Ohio has no interest in spending all his time in life arguing over whether there are 50 or 100 genders.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

What is considered the mainstream left is already way out of touch with regular folks.

Joe Blow working as a sales rep in Akron, Ohio has no interest in spending all his time in life arguing over whether there are 50 or 100 genders.
That explains why Hillary Clinton has 62 million votes.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Well, the alt-right was already basically a reaction to the SJW movement as it's gained momentum in the last five or six years. Both are internet-driven, pop-culture friendly, layman's adaptations of fringe socio-political theory. If the social justice movement hadn't gone so far off the deep end with its anti-white, anti-male rhetoric, I doubt that the alt-right ever would have gained as much steam as it has.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The same reason why trump has so many votes - many people vote straight party ticket only.

It is only a few who really swing the election either way, they do not vote along party lines and really do not care about political parties.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:

They better figure out something quick. Moving right will make the fringe bolt, moving further left (which is what will probably happen) is going to make the moderates bolt. Toast anyone?

421 posts, read 205,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

I think "racism fatigue" is a thing now as well, that same Joe Blow has been hearing "racism this, racism that" since 2012 with the media constantly spamming "Blacks Lives Matter" segments on TV screens everywhere I think even a lot of leftists are tired of hearing "racism this, racism that" coming from the Democrat party, while other issues are ignored.

It's like "okay, i get it, racism..... but how does that move the country forward, get me my job back, pay my bills, lower my insurance premium, etc?"

The worn and tired "racism" thing is just one example, everyday working folks by and large don't care about that kind of stuff, they are more concerned with things such as the economy.

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
What do you think HRC's campaign was about? The DNC will back off of the SJW and post structural nonsense and get back to economic and liberal issues. It has to if it doesn't want to cease to exist.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
OP specifically asked about "everyday people".

Check Hillary's numbers vs Obama's in Flint, Gary, Youngstown, Buffalo etc and get back to me.

These people have been rolling out of bed voting Dem since Kennedy (minus Reagan).

And that's where the everyday people live. Not LA, NYC or SF...contrary to what the media believes.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
I think "racism fatigue" is a thing now as well, that same Joe Blow has been hearing "racism this, racism that" since 2012 with the media constantly spamming "Blacks Lives Matter" segments on TV screens everywhere I think even a lot of leftists are tired of hearing "racism this, racism that" coming from the Democrat party, while other issues are ignored.

It's like "okay, i get it, racism..... but how does that move the country forward, get me my job back, pay my bills, lower my insurance premium, etc?"

The worn and tired "racism" thing is just one example, everyday working folks by and large don't care about that kind of stuff, they are more concerned with things such as the economy.
I'm a liberal myself, but I think that the SJW movement pushed too far left and got too radical to be palpable to most Americans; the DNC made a major misstep in trying to channel the movement's divisive identity politics in an attempt to excite people about HRC and overplayed its hand in doing so.

I saw a lot of friends on social media fall hook line and sinker when they started pushing this mantra of "screw Bernie; it's time to smash patriarchy and shatter the glass ceiling! We need to elect a woman and that woman is HILLARY!" People who actually found her politics repugnant, but had been socialized to shut that criticism off since she was a woman. I didn't waver on my positions and was repaid with a year of being attacked by friends for my "privilege" or "fragility" or "misogyny" or "gaslighting" or whatever other dismissive pseudo-explanation accompanied by a snarky, explanatory video featuring a queen with a pompadpur and a fat girl with dreds and plugs was trending at the moment. I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to the origins of this ideological extremism and still found it offensive... People who aren't in this position have no smypathy or context for why it has become so extreme and will reject it viciously.

Perhaps in its wake will come a more metered and sensible (mature?) movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies