Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:50 PM

1,194 posts, read 721,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They gave Aunt Jemima a make over a few years ago. She no longer wears the bandana.

That pic you have is old.

You wouldn't be race baiting, would you?
No I wasn't race baiting---honestly!!!...Actually i was taken back a little how people are all fired up these days about political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,020,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I went grocery shopping recently to pick up some pancake syrup. A woman next to me in the aisle made a comment that she couldn't believe they hadn't pulled that product of the shelf. I asked why and her response was that it basically stereotyped blacks and was very offensive. Personally I didn't see any thing wrong but I didn't want to say anything so not to start a scene in the store. Do you think she was right?
Wow. You fell through the time warp and landed in 1970. Impressive.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,270,870 times
Here's an interesting article written by the curator of the Jim Crow Museum explaining why Aunt Jemima (the old one) is viewed as racist.

New Racism Museum Reveals the Ugly Truth Behind Aunt Jemima - The Atlantic

The museum's website has some interesting and educational videos and articles if you're interested in poking around there. On the front page is a link to an original advertising using Aunt Jemima (who was born a slave) that illustrates the fact that symbols like her were used to romanticize the Old South under slavery which is what makes her early versions (jim Crow era) so offensive to modern blacks. http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 11-15-2016 at 09:13 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 09:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,678,558 times
No. I find the person whining and crying about the Aunt Jemima logo to be "offensive."

Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,646,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I went grocery shopping recently to pick up some pancake syrup. A woman next to me in the aisle made a comment that she couldn't believe they hadn't pulled that product of the shelf. I asked why and her response was that it basically stereotyped blacks and was very offensive. Personally I didn't see any thing wrong but I didn't want to say anything so not to start a scene in the store. Do you think she was right?

Attachment 177438
You did not see Aunt Jemima on the shelf with that logo, so why post that picture?

That's misleading, so I'm inclined to not believe the exact words you claimed the "politically correct" shopper spoke.

I mean, I guess because someone said it on the internet, it must be true, but...

Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,446,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
You did not see Aunt Jemima on the shelf with that logo, so why post that picture?

That's misleading, so I'm inclined to not believe the exact words you claimed the "politically correct" shopper spoke.

I mean, I guess because someone said it on the internet, it must be true, but...
OP Busted!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,716,666 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks
No not at all.... MORE PC CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,678,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
OP Busted!
Aunt Jemima would be so offended!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 PM

20,956 posts, read 19,414,107 times
Should white people find the following offensive?:

Sara Lee
Duncan Hines
Campbell's
Chef Boyardee
Heinz
Kellogg's
Ben & Jerry
Little Debbie
Wendy's
etc.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,103,599 times
Well no, leave Aunt Jemima alone, she has best pancake mix. I have to give Mrs Butterworth the edge on syrup, but many disagree as seen here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kbu2EClHb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHPB1eCROSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx4l3v_SCTI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies