Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

How you behave when winning is also a excellent judge of you as a person. I say this because all too many here think being a horrible human being to others is how they should behave when their candidate wins.

And before folks go after me for DARING to speak out about this.....Its been a week. You would NOT believe what my Facebook feed looks like. Or some of the places where I am seeing truly hateful and vile things. Things that, to be honest, I normally only see here, breitbart, or stormfront.

And theres a difference. Its one thing to say "HAHAHA our guy won!". you're right, and you DO have a bit to crow about there. But instead both here, and other places I see truly insane hateful things. Things designed to make people afraid. Things designed to upset people.

Its like playing chess.
Normal good people: "Good game, should be fun next time"
Not so nice people: "Haha! I won, you lost! Loser"

And then theres what I see all too often today. I see people saying and doing truly awful things. Things FAR beyond that where they cheer on the ideas of killing fellow citizens. Comments about how Soros will die now that Trump is in office, I've been told in other places to watch what I say because they will remember. And the odd death threat (also happy to say-not from here at the moment).

Folks, when you take it beyond just being "Not so nice", you really need to stop and think, Is this really who I want to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 09:14 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
What kinds of hateful things have you seen posted? Specifically? I don't doubt you, I would just like to read them.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
What kinds of hateful things have you seen posted? Specifically? I don't doubt you, I would just like to read them.
The worst gets deleted by the mod team eventually. I've see threads about shooting protestors, and wanting to send the military in for example.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
How you behave when winning is also a excellent judge of you as a person. I say this because all too many here think being a horrible human being to others is how they should behave when their candidate wins.

And before folks go after me for DARING to speak out about this.....Its been a week. You would NOT believe what my Facebook feed looks like. Or some of the places where I am seeing truly hateful and vile things. Things that, to be honest, I normally only see here, breitbart, or stormfront.

And theres a difference. Its one thing to say "HAHAHA our guy won!". you're right, and you DO have a bit to crow about there. But instead both here, and other places I see truly insane hateful things. Things designed to make people afraid. Things designed to upset people.

Its like playing chess.

And then theres what I see all too often today. I see people saying and doing truly awful things. Things FAR beyond that where they cheer on the ideas of killing fellow citizens. Comments about how Soros will die now that Trump is in office, I've been told in other places to watch what I say because they will remember. And the odd death threat (also happy to say-not from here at the moment).

Folks, when you take it beyond just being "Not so nice", you really need to stop and think, Is this really who I want to be?
I've seen none of what you're talking about.

In my office there were people who knew I voted for Trump and those who voted for Hillary.

Before election night the Hillary people knew she was a shoe-in, and Trump was a longshot.

I thought that Trump was a longshot as well, but on Wednesday morning, instead of those Hillary supporters coming into office and saying, "your guy won" they moped, scowled, moaned and didn't speak to me.

I knew they were butt-hurt... seriously, Trump had a landslide victory.

I didn't gloat toward them about the victory, (I gloated and ^5'd with the Trump supporters) I kept my mouth shut.

One of my "friends" in the office, was so upset she STILL hasn't said anything to me! But I bought her lunch on Thursday as a nice gesture.

At the end of the day, everyone has to put on their big boy/girl pants and carry on with life.

It's not about a victory or loss, it's about the way our process works and if anyone has a problem with that, and they do because they are protesting in huge numbers, I say - GET OVER IT!!!

If the shoe were on the other foot, there's no way you could tell me that today all the Leftie news outlets wouldn't still be droning on and on about how Trump wasn't fit, couldn't win, etc. etc.

Tell you one thing the repubs wouldn't have done, PROTEST for days on end.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I didn't gloat toward them about the victory, (I gloated and ^5'd with the Trump supporters) I kept my mouth shut.
Guess which category of winner you are then? Let me help. The good kind. And the odds are you hang around with a lot of similar folks.

I wish more were like you. My experience is different. Including someone I thought was a far far better person.

Quote:
Tell you one thing the repubs wouldn't have done, PROTEST for days on end.
you had right wing militias claiming they were going to do more then protest.....or did you miss that one?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:31 PM

439 posts, read 357,251 times
To be honest, anonymity makes mice act like lions. I don't take any of it seriously, and neither should you. I don't participate in Facebook, so I'm not experiencing the deluge of "informative" posts you're privy to. That said, can't you simply stay off social media for a few days? The news cycle will change in a few more days (the election is already being relegated to the second-top story, at least in my market)...We, collectively, have the attention-span of a gnat. After the inauguration, it'll be back to the typical crazy stuff...

Old 11-15-2016, 09:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
The worst gets deleted by the mod team eventually. I've see threads about shooting protestors, and wanting to send the military in for example.
What's so bad about 'hating' the hateful rioters protesting a free election?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:

Its like playing chess.

Thank you. I've seen a lot of nasty things on here, from both sides, to be fair. I haven't been on Facebook since before the primaries started, not entirely, but in good part, because of the awful things people said to each other during the last election.

It's important to lose with dignity.

It's just as important to win with grace.

One of the saddest things I have seen is posts that were clearly intended to offend, followed by wails of indignation when offence was taken. If you taunt people and say things deliberately calculated to provoke them, you should not be surprised (or pretend to be) when they react with outrage.

This election has been horrible, in terms of how it's affected people's attitudes towards people with opposing views. But damn...no matter who you're talking to on here, they are a real, flesh-and-blood person, with feelings as real and tender as your own.

I know people on the left have said some hateful things, too, and yes, I know about bad behavior of some of the protesters. I think that guy who held up the sign about raping Melania was awful, awful, awful. The thing is, the Democrats on here have no more control over that crap than the Republicans have over the fact that David Duke endorsed Trump.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to end this rant, so I'll just say this: can we stop acting like enemies?

Last edited by Catgirl64; 11-15-2016 at 10:05 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 09:47 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
To answer your question: "How you behave when winning is also a excellent judge of you as a person"

Look in the mirror and ask yourself that. Forget about Trump and his win, but just think about winning something in your own life, one in 320+ million in this country.

You feel proud. Deep down even if not asking for it, you hope people notice and recognize you. Why not? You worked hard and you won. Revel in it. Enjoy the moment. And maybe it motivates you to push harder.

Now in Trump's case, "Multiply it by infinity, and take it to the depth of forever, and you will still have barely a glimpse of what I'm talking about." Always love that quote from Meet Joe Black.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:50 PM

649 posts, read 316,346 times
How a person acts after losing is even more telling .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies