Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

No doubt some are gaming the system, as always.

Fake service animals and why airline passengers are upset - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
"Delta complies with the Air Carrier Access Act by allowing customers traveling with emotional support animals or psychiatric service animals to travel without charge in the cabin," Morrow said. "We reserve the right to review each case and make every effort to accommodate our customers' travel needs while also taking into consideration the health and safety of other passengers."

But people traveling with fake emotional support animals is a growing problem for flight attendants, frequent fliers and people with disabilities who have service animals for medical reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir7Ei79KJk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 09:44 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
What about people who are allergic to dogs? Who gets bumped from the flight: the person with the animal or the person allergic to the animal?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How can someone else determine that your animal does or does not bring you emotional support ?

For many people their animals are considered part of their family and there is a connection. These airlines won't be able to disprove this, because there is nothing fake about it.

The airlines should spend their time worrying about potential terrorists on the plane instead.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
All pets provide emotional support! There needs to be a state issued photo ID for the animal as well as the owner and be displayed on the animals collar. Take the fakes out of the public accommodation compliance.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:53 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
It should be for the airlines to decide who or what gets on their planes.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
How is it okay for someone to lie about having a disability or actually needing an emotional support animal?
Some humans are beyond disgusting when they think it is just fine to self diagnos when there are those who really do have this need.
We have a very strong connection with our animals but we never lied about their status of being pets and we are not pet
*parents* either, I did not give birth to animals.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
How can someone else determine that your animal does or does not bring you emotional support ?

For many people their animals are considered part of their family and there is a connection. These airlines won't be able to disprove this, because there is nothing fake about it.

The airlines should spend their time worrying about potential terrorists on the plane instead.
Emotional support animals are not the same as the family pet. To have an animal be considered an emotional support animal requires a psychiatrist to a) diagnose the patient with a mental illness and b) write a letter that states the animal is an emotional support animal DUE TO that mental illness (such as depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc.)

Unfortunately, people have abused this by stating their family pet is an emotional support animal without any proof or documentation at all. What these people are going to end up doing is destroying it for those who have legit, psychiatrist signed emotional support animals. I hate people like this. The good news is, they still can't pretend it's a service animal...it's difficult to get away with that. People do, but it's not as easy.

Companies need to be allowed to ask for proof. Right now, they are not allowed to ask questions because it violates peoples medical privacy. Drop that bs, allow companies to ask for proof, and the problem will resolve itself....for the most part. You will always find scammers no matter where you go.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
All pets provide emotional support! There needs to be a state issued photo ID for the animal as well as the owner and be displayed on the animals collar. Take the fakes out of the public accommodation compliance.
State issued IDs are racist.

Quit oppressing Fido.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post

For many people their animals are considered part of their family and there is a connection
. These airlines won't be able to disprove this, because there is nothing fake about it.

Yes. Those are called pets. That's why there are pet carriers and cargo storage areas for them.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Emotional support animals are not the same as the family pet. To have an animal be considered an emotional support animal requires a psychiatrist to a) diagnose the patient with a mental illness and b) write a letter that states the animal is an emotional support animal DUE TO that mental illness (such as depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc.)

Unfortunately, people have abused this by stating their family pet is an emotional support animal without any proof or documentation at all. What these people are going to end up doing is destroying it for those who have legit, psychiatrist signed emotional support animals. I hate people like this. The good news is, they still can't pretend it's a service animal...it's difficult to get away with that. People do, but it's not as easy.

Companies need to be allowed to ask for proof. Right now, they are not allowed to ask questions because it violates peoples medical privacy. Drop that bs, allow companies to ask for proof, and the problem will resolve itself....for the most part. You will always find scammers no matter where you go.
Agreed. I love my pets more than my life, but I don't have a diagnosis saying I need them with me at all times. I have traveled with them a few times, and did not get to keep them with me in the cabin of the airplane. It was distressing, but that was because I was concerned about their safety and comfort, not mine.

People who cheat on this hurt the credibility of those who really need a support animal, and I wish they would stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies